Sooke 2013 Fishing Reports

Start working hardware... Most of the big fish I have taken last few months were all on spoons, and some super fun times without any flasher at all... Bait is awesome but no use going through 3-4 packs bait per trip...Also find the spoons the pinks usually just release themselves as their mouths are so soft when you get them to the boat...

What spoons did you find work the best????

Thanks

Had a great day fishing with Rockfish! Four fantastic springs and an assortment of other tasty specimens. What an awesome day on the water!

013.jpg016.jpg

First night bite of the year. A little nervous with the 15 knt wind report but it was a steady breeze with no gust and turned out to be beauty. Unfortunately the lack of boats at the head and trap seemed to add up to the fact we only managed a couple pinks. One on bait and one on a spoon and slip weight due to a missing rigger bolt.

SSSSHHHHHHH its no good remember!!!(englishman report) sometimes you have to think outside the box to get these springs... they are there if your getting pinked out change tactics, is all i can say.
btw nice fish SS good work that ol glasply still has it I see glad Rick is using it sooo much love seeing her out there.
Good luck Wolf

Speaking of outside the box, that is the extra large teaser head in glow white with a pink and purple spatter back topside on a white glow flasher. Those big springs where hitting full size adult herring from 60 to 130 feet and were all caught between 9:10 and 2:00 pm. We also had another one get off after a good fight pulling a lot of line off a drag clamped down MR3. Biggest Chinook was 28lbs. There are a lots of big springs off Sooke now. We got out there around 8:45 and after hearing reports on the radio of nice fish getting caught at 5:30 we were thinking we would have to start getting our butts out of bed earlier but looks like we can still sleep in.

Speaking of outside the box, that is the extra large teaser head in glow white with a pink and purple spatter back topside on a white glow flasher. Those big springs where hitting full size adult herring from 60 to 130 feet and were all caught between 9:10 and 2:00 pm. We also had another one get off after a good fight pulling a lot of line off a drag clamped down MR3. Biggest Chinook was 28lbs. There are a lots of big springs off Sooke now. We got out there around 8:45 and after hearing reports on the radio of nice fish getting caught at 5:30 we were thinking we would have to start getting our butts out of bed earlier but looks like we can still sleep in.
Great catch you guys. Looks like you are also still using bait, only bigger. I will have to try my splatter backs as well sometime.

SSSSHHHHHHH its no good remember!!!(englishman report) sometimes you have to think outside the box to get these springs... they are there if your getting pinked out change tactics, is all i can say.
btw nice fish SS good work that ol glasply still has it I see glad Rick is using it sooo much love seeing her out there.
Good luck Wolf
Now you are putting words in my mouth Wolf. I did not say the fishing was no good, I said "I don't get Otter", which is a different kettle of fish entirely. I think Sheringham is great. I caught my 25lb fish there last month, and obviously I understand the known spots are known for a reason. (Just hard to get to Sheringham sometimes). And the fishing off Sooke is obviously great if I can catch a chinook on the bottom off the Bluffs in July!!
Finally Rockfish does not say where he caught those fish but I am willing to bet it was not Otter. From the fishing tutorial I had with him one time I would say he is an expert in other areas and rarely fishes Otter.

Last edited by a moderator:
fished 7am to 11am 1 coho 1 10 pound spring and 10 pinks released 4 nice socks ........... beauty day calm and no fog..........

LOL just bugging you english, people tell you almost everything. and you still cant seem to find em .
My suggestion to you is maybe hire a guide and ask LOTS of questions and ask him to teach you, tell whoever prior to going so hes prepared trust me it will help you in the long run..yes its an expense but going out spending all the money you have already not getting is far exceeding the cost of a trip.....

As for a report awesome again today 14 to 22 lbers and lots of pinks was at otter,muir and sheringham went for a LONG troll today and it paid off everywhere.

Good luck Wolf

Attachments

• july 29th fish.jpg
    july 29th fish.jpg
    23.1 KB · Views: 521
Took a friend who is visiting from New Zealand out this am. On the water for 8:45 am. Got the biggest smash ive ever seen. ZZZZZ,ZZZZZZ and ripped out before I could get to the rod. Either a big spring or a submarine hit it. Took all our humpies, 2 wild released and one clipped coho came home.

AND NOW FOR THE BIG NEWS...

Around 2 pm, someone stole my black backpack while we were cleaning fish at Cheanuh. It was siting down 10 feet behind us on the ground with some other stuff. Inside was my tablet, Navionics and a bunch of other apps installed. My deceased fathers fishing knife, clothes and a bunch of other stuff that didn't matter. If anybody has any info. It would be appreciated, though its unlikely i'll see my stuff again.

AND NOW FOR THE BIG NEWS...

Around 2 pm, someone stole my black backpack while we were cleaning fish at Cheanuh. It was siting down 10 feet behind us on the ground with some other stuff. Inside was my tablet, Navionics and a bunch of other apps installed. My deceased fathers fishing knife, clothes and a bunch of other stuff that didn't matter. If anybody has any info. It would be appreciated, though its unlikely i'll see my stuff again.

That is unreal! I sure hope you get that stuff back......but it does seem unlikely. I hate thieves! I remember reading a post a year or 2 ago that someone had their electric down rigger stolen from that same place, right off their boat, while cleaning fish.

Sounds like someone needs to go trolling for these guys with some bait. A pack weighted with junk but looks like valuables. Have someone watch discreetly from a distance to see who bites.

Just got back from Nootka....great trip, lots of spring....ONLY 1 PINK!!!!! Only down side was big winds and heavy seas offshore (30 gusting 43) so no hali fishing. No boat or truck issues so all was awesome.

LOL just bugging you english, people tell you almost everything. and you still cant seem to find em .
My suggestion to you is maybe hire a guide and ask LOTS of questions and ask him to teach you, tell whoever prior to going so hes prepared trust me it will help you in the long run..yes its an expense but going out spending all the money you have already not getting is far exceeding the cost of a trip.....
I have to second I went about 4-5 times with Mr. Dave Cowell from N-Joy charters ( he knows I thing or too how to catch fish LOL) before I got my boat first time...Helped out a lot, and he was totally hands on teaching me the area/set gear...
Thx guys. I will seriously consider your advice.
Yes, Wolf I know I have not caught any Chinook in July except the 13lb one fishing winter style. However, I did get my fantastic (for me!) 25lb fish in June and no longer feel a complete newbie. Part of the reason for the lack of Chinook since June is the abundance of pinks, the fact that two of my trips in July have been with non-fishing relatives to specifically target pinks, and partly because there has not been a real opportunity to get down to Sheringham again with all the wind/fog. I am very content both with the fishing so far this year and happy to continue to put into practice what I have learned from all the advice and assistance I have already received from the good folks on this forum. With luck I believe will get some more summer Chinook in August but if not, then more on the water training may be called for. But I am optimistic. It’s all good and I am having fun and that is the main thing really, is it not?

Soooo...... finally!! :eek::D:cool::p My first spring!! in my boat! I dunno what it weighed. All I know is its bigger then any fish ive caught down here. Headed out with out extra gas for first time. Went further then usual was headed back and had a big hit and lost it due to a ****** hook set. Chanced the gas a took a quick circle back and bam. Thank fricken goodness. I think my issue has been speed and right time right place of course. Couldnt chance sticken around so headed back in. Back out tomorrow!

English I think you mentioned your prob youve been targeting pinks and (mabey coho?) Dont even bother, target springs and you will get limits of pinks no prob. and bigger ones then anyone else. We see lots of people with little baby pinks and coho ours have usually been larger then anyone elses on te table when we get in. You launch of out Sooke! wow first time fishing there today I think every boat had a fish on that I saw. plus you got a 25 that should do for awhile :eek: rather catch 1 25 then 2 10's and a 5...:p

Out for a couple of hours with Rockfish today and we caught another nice spring, a hatchery coho and some pinks. We also got our limit on crabs -8 nice dungys.

We are fishing out of Roy's old charter boat and it comes with a lot of "Blue Wolf" luck.

002.jpg

Back