Sooke 2013 Fishing Reports

Nice fish! Your on fire Silver fish! And the boat has little to do with it im sure.

-KK

He’s not allowed to get too cocky; he put my favorite flasher through the kicker prop. just as the tide change bite was coming on and stalled it out. We were pulling bits of line out of it for 15 minutes back at the dock. That one was on Chovie in a metalic gold chrome and red teaser head.

Also had a nice hit on another monster size whole Herring in the same extra large Rhys Davis glow white, pink and purple teaser head. The Chinook hit it from the side and you could see the large v-shaped teeth marks across the body of the Herring. We were making jokes about the scene from Jaws where they were measuring the bite radius of the shark.

PS EM - You are correct; not at Otter, thats it in the background.

Last edited by a moderator:
Soooo...... finally!! :eek::D:cool::p My first spring!! in my boat! I dunno what it weighed. All I know is its bigger then any fish ive caught down here. Headed out with out extra gas for first time. Went further then usual was headed back and had a big hit and lost it due to a ****** hook set. Chanced the gas a took a quick circle back and bam. Thank fricken goodness. I think my issue has been speed and right time right place of course. Couldnt chance sticken around so headed back in. Back out tomorrow!

Well done and congratulations A!! I know from personal experience (shared on this forum...LOL) just how hard that first summer chinook can be. This is a good year, so I am sure you will get another.

English I think you mentioned your prob youve been targeting pinks and (mabey coho?) Dont even bother, target springs and you will get limits of pinks no prob. and bigger ones then anyone else. We see lots of people with little baby pinks and coho ours have usually been larger then anyone elses on te table when we get in. You launch of out Sooke! wow first time fishing there today I think every boat had a fish on that I saw. plus you got a 25 that should do for awhile :eek: rather catch 1 25 then 2 10's and a 5...:p

Good point about the pinks. Maybe I should stick with attempting chinook and expect to catch pink as "by-catch". Trouble is that could mean lots of bait used unless I switch to hardware which is a whole other learning scenario (as far as summer chinook anyway ...I can manage winters on hardware). Anyway, my wife gets restless if we don't catch anything and she knows a lot of pinks are waiting "just out there". (Last time we fished a well known Sooke hot spot for chinooks (that will remain nameless LOL) we got but one small pink in three hours). The pressure to move gets up then I can tell you!!
And I agree the 25 will do very well for a while........

I was exactly going delete my comment EM... I think were a little hard on you lately..... I just hate seeing you put the time, and keep coming out empty handed...

But my first three years fishing those waters was brutal just so you know, and ask KK he went through it to...It's all a learning experience.... Just keep going out with different people as well.... Your doing fine.....
Thx very much HF. I too think progress (albeit slow) is being made....

He’s not allowed to get too cocky; he put my favorite flasher through the kicker prop. just as the tide change bite was coming on and stalled it out. We were pulling bits of line out of it for 15 minutes back at the dock. That one was on Chovie in a metalic gold chrome and red teaser head.

Also had a nice hit on another monster size whole Herring in the same extra large Rhys Davis glow white, pink and purple teaser head. The Chinook hit it from the side and you could see the large v-shaped teeth marks across the body of the Herring. We were making jokes about the scene from Jaws where they were measuring the bite radius of the shark.

Pity about the flasher. Hope it is replaceable and not a custom special. Well done with your continued catches of biggies. I have bought myself some large herring teasers, but I have gone with the same pattern (and so far only pattern) that I have ever had success here with the anchovies - purple haze.

PS EM - You are correct; not at Otter, thats it in the background.
Thought so...I will have to recall some of what you taught me last year.......:D

Thx very much HF. I too think progress (albeit slow) is being made....

my advice would be to ditch the bait and stick to spoons and rubber. You'll spend hours and hours trolling around with bait that isn't fishing right and just be wasting your time. If you're fishing bait at the same depths, same speeds, same places and everybody else is catching fish then something is wrong.

Put a 3.5" cop car spoon on one side and a purple haze needlefish squirt on the other side and stick to 1 or 2 spots. Fish those spots hard, grind out the honey holes where you see everybody else hooking fish. Don't waste time doing huge loops out into no mans land. I guarantee you'll start to hook fish.

my advice would be to ditch the bait and stick to spoons and rubber. You'll spend hours and hours trolling around with bait that isn't fishing right and just be wasting your time. If you're fishing bait at the same depths, same speeds, same places and everybody else is catching fish then something is wrong.

Put a 3.5" cop car spoon on one side and a purple haze needlefish squirt on the other side and stick to 1 or 2 spots. Fish those spots hard, grind out the honey holes where you see everybody else hooking fish. Don't waste time doing huge loops out into no mans land. I guarantee you'll start to hook fish.

Good advice !

Pity about the flasher. Hope it is replaceable and not a custom special. Well done with your continued catches of biggies. I have bought myself some large herring teasers, but I have gone with the same pattern (and so far only pattern) that I have ever had success here with the anchovies - purple haze.

Thought so...I will have to recall some of what you taught me last year.......:D

lately Red and Pink have been good colors for us on the teasers and flashers. You will find it is easier to keep a good slow tight roll on the big herring than it is on Chovies. With bait, someone has to be watching every rod tip all the time; preferably someone who seldom blinks as with any hit they stop fishing unlike spoons and plastic. You also need to check them more frequently and we usually pull them if we have been going through a lot of weed or a little after going though a heavy tide line or got a little too close to the top of a reef and may have picked up bottom weed. Leave them down for a bit as there is often fish under those tidelines. I also fish glow plastic a fair bit but when the conditions are good and you are concentrating and fishing hard, bait will out fish the others by a wide margin, especially if fishing less than a hundred feet down.

Another great day same crew as yesterday !!! they came and and said lets just keep a few today save some for later so they wanted 3 springs and we got 3!!!!!lsot a few as they were short biting a bit today?? awesome clients the 2 woman was there very first time and both days they got the biggest fish almost a tyee for her but a little shy...left extremely happy and LOVE Sooke.

Good luck Wolf

Attachments

• DSCN3450.jpg
    DSCN3450.jpg
    98.9 KB · Views: 569
Well done and congratulations A!! I know from personal experience (shared on this forum...LOL) just how hard that first summer chinook can be. This is a good year, so I am sure you will get another.

:D Make that a 2 for 2!! and bigger then yesterday, Im liking the way this is going!... plus limits of pinks.

Wow SS and Rockfish you guys are bringing some beauty's!!!

IMG_0159.jpgFished Otter Point 6:30-8:30, caught one pink, two 10lb spring and finished with a 24lber. Very scrappy fish! hubby played it for
quite a while. All caught within half an hour! then nothing. Oh well, lots of fish for the smoker and canned a bunch too. Windy and a bit rough, but worth it today!! Xena

I went out to Otter with the yak this AM but it looked a little too gnarly for me so I went and launched at Becher Bay Marina and fished between Aldridge and the Head--no fish but lots of fun. Went ashore part way through the day and had lunch on the beach and back out again.
T2

I went out to Otter with the yak this AM but it looked a little too gnarly for me so I went and launched at Becher Bay Marina and fished between Aldridge and the Head--no fish but lots of fun. Went ashore part way through the day and had lunch on the beach and back out again.
T2

hey were you in the yellow yak with the sail!? saw you on our way in. wow is was cold and windy out there you are crazy lol! that looked like hard work. we caught a pink right on the surface right about where you were going. just threw out a choive on a bloodynose teaser head. You were going a good clip prob would have enough action.

Out to Otter this afternoon and and back with 5 springs and kept 5 pinks. The bigger fish were whites.

That was me--I'm always on 68 on my hand held--give me a shout next time. I have a dry suit that I wear so I was fine for warmth. I was using a whole herring on one side and a piece of artificial strip on the other on a planer. It's been so long since I used a planer (probably with my dad during the '80's) that i initially hooked it up backwards!! LOL
T2

Went out with 2 people as green as can be yesterday. Decided to practice on some pinks before we got into a good fish. started in 140ft ish of water, out to 500ft+ and back, 1 pink and a couple released coho..... Was I doing something wrong? 25-69 ft on the riggers. lol
Tucked in tight to the trailor park to hide a bit from the wind and eventually ended up at 3rd rock otter for the current change. Lost one screamer, huge strong runs away then right back at the boat faster then I could reel, then repeat :) It was a hoot until it got off. Felt like a biggy :)

T2

I was out at otter yesterday. Was a little bumby and wet. But forgot my seat so only was out for an hour or so before my back was hurting. Only had one bite that diddnt stick. Goining to try back on Friday still hunting for my first big spring!!!!! Want to get one before the seasons over!!!!!!!

Slow going for anyone heading out to Sooke this morning... Road closed and detour... or just launch at SS

imagejpeg_2_zpsac8df097.jpg

Back