Sooke 2013 Fishing Reports

YUPP way better today nice weather and no whales apparently the whales were by the other day hence the slower fishing. got some nice springs and a few hatch coho and pinks of course .
see ya tomorrow.

Wolf

hey roy(wolf) we passed you first thing baiting or checking your traps.... nice boat
few fish around otter;p

lol, He keeps forgetting how big his hands are and how little those doors are......:eek:

All open in sooke now as for crabs just re baiting for clients fun for them to bait em then get crab to take home after a day of fishing kinda a bonus . saw crab for sale in china town tonight 29.95 per crab OMG

Wolf
That's what I read in the regs, but I keep reading about people releasing wild springs in Sooke.
Thanks
Stosh

not all open no sockeye no wild coho

there was hatchery only over 85cm on chinooks unitl the 19th

and it isnt actaully clear that you are now aloud to keep a wild over unless you know

Subareas 19-1 to 19-4 and Subarea 20-5 (waters near Victoria between Cadboro Point to Sheringham Point): Until June 14, 2013:

2 chinook per day, wild or hatchery marked between 45 cm and 67 cm or hatchery marked greater than 67 cm in length.
June 15 - July 19, 2013: 2 chinook per day, wild or hatchery marked less than 85 cm, or hatchery marked greater than 85 cm in length. FN0156 2013-03-13

also didnt realize about the combined limit thing. So does 'Combined daily limit for all salmon species from all waters: 4' mean If I catch and keep 4 pinks I cant keep my 2 springs?

not all open no sockeye no wild coho

there was hatchery only over 85cm on chinooks unitl the 19th

and it isnt actaully clear that you are now aloud to keep a wild over unless you know

Subareas 19-1 to 19-4 and Subarea 20-5 (waters near Victoria between Cadboro Point to Sheringham Point): Until June 14, 2013:

2 chinook per day, wild or hatchery marked between 45 cm and 67 cm or hatchery marked greater than 67 cm in length.
June 15 - July 19, 2013: 2 chinook per day, wild or hatchery marked less than 85 cm, or hatchery marked greater than 85 cm in length. FN0156 2013-03-13

also didnt realize about the combined limit thing. So does 'Combined daily limit for all salmon species from all waters: 4' mean If I catch and keep 4 pinks I cant keep my 2 springs?

Correct Stalker. You get 4 salmon per day. 2 spring, and/or 2 Coho, and/or 4 pinks. Any combination of those totaling 4 salmon. (Ie 1 coho, 2 spring, and 1 pink = 4 combined salmon without exceeding and given species limit).

So, according to the regs for Sooke, it looks like as of July 20, min. Size is 45 cm, with no other size mentioned. The closures would be in sub section 20-6 and 20-7. Please correct me if I'm wrong.
Stosh

Out Sat am. Caught a 18.6 on 1st drop at 5:45 am. Was hoping to try out the new jugheads (that look awesome by the way), but forgot em on the kitchen table. Rods lighting up at the trap while we were dropping our gear. Looks like we were a few minutes late and hit our spring at the end of the am bite cause it was humpies all day after that. Im not too cool to admit that im okay with reeling up humps all day. Smoke off tonight after a 24 hr brine.

Out Sat am. Caught a 18.6 on 1st drop at 5:45 am. Was hoping to try out the new jugheads (that look awesome by the way), but forgot em on the kitchen table. Rods lighting up at the trap while we were dropping our gear. Looks like we were a few minutes late and hit our spring at the end of the am bite cause it was humpies all day after that. Im not too cool to admit that im okay with reeling up humps all day. Smoke off tonight after a 24 hr brine.

at the trap shack this morning with the rook,,he caught a 25lb chinook at 5:30 this morning in the dense fog,,then i caught a 12lb spring down near secratery and then we loaded up on our limit of pinks,,8 total fish and off the water at 9am,,great weekend of fishing,,i lost a hog at otter on saturday at the 12:30 bite,,had it to the boat twice and had a good look at it,,it was 40-42 inches long,,probably mid to high 30's,,played it for about 45 minutes total but shook the hook near the boat,,oh well,what's a guy to do,,i'm not going to cry over it,,the bugger wore me out,,

Took my son and his girlfriend out front for pinks today from 9:00am till noon. Seemed to be a few coho around as well, quite shallow at 40 feet using the usual pink gear. Lost a couple, released two wild and kept one hatch, as well as some pinks. Beautiful day on the water with that hazy swirling fog and blue sky directly above. Great lighting effects!!

Went out this morning at 6 am in the fog and fished possession. Lots of pinks and coho. no hatchery coho for us though. Picked up a nice 19 lb white at the morning tide change. Was all done by 9 am. Great fishing out there.

Caught 1 spring high teens, 2 tyee pinks and trolled up a Hali out west this morning.

Hali had bulge in stomach so I cut it open to see what it was eating and found the strangest thing I have or will ever find. A foam frog!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    94.6 KB · Views: 510
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    93.4 KB · Views: 506
That's a odd find. Lol. Fishing in sooke sounds great right now, enroute for this week to fish for a few days with the family. Would anyone care to share what depth of water you get best results when fishing at otter and sheringham. Any advice would be appreciated.

Trolled in the kayak at otter point. LOTS of pinks!!!! Ate all my bate before I had a chance to land a spring. :( maybe tomorrow will be better luck!!

I know there are Springs out there,but, the Pinks are a nuance. We went thru a ton of bait the past two days and only got one Spring. We spent most of the time releasing slimey pinks.

Start working hardware... Most of the big fish I have taken last few months were all on spoons, and some super fun times without any flasher at all... Bait is awesome but no use going through 3-4 packs bait per trip...Also find the spoons the pinks usually just release themselves as their mouths are so soft when you get them to the boat...
X2 Drilleryells

Back