Sooke 2013 Fishing Reports

When went by it was just smoking not a blaze!!! wow!!! and there was already an excavator demoing it.
As for fishing still REALLY good for springs and others pinks,coho all here now time to get out!!!!doesnt get any better!!!

Fished from 8:00am till 2:00pm today and had a fantastic day. Went to the Trap and put out a big herring on one side(a la Rockfish) and the regular chovy in my standard purple haze teaser on the other. Don’t know whether it was my herring rigging that was off or not but the regular chovy got us an 18lb and an 8lb fish!

The big one came at 51’ when we hit the button in tight as we came over a reef. At first we thought we might have hooked the bottom but we soon realised it was a nice fish!! The small fish came at 72 feet in 90 feet of water.

To top off the day we went out around Secretary in the afternoon to get a few pinks but I kept the chovy down at 125 feet on one side. In 158 feet of water out front I had another hit and this time it was 11lb. So we caught chinook summer and winter style today!!

Here is picture of my wife with today’s great catch!P1270795.jpgP1270794.jpg

I'm sure your very happy and proud, as you should be. That is a banner catch in any ones books. Good on you guys.;) eman

Good on ya...Sue n Roland....actually I saw them land it :D

Congratulations, Englishman. Nice fish!

Was out with Rockfish and Newfie Boy today. We caught a 16 1/2 lber on a large herring. We also caught 6 keeper Dungee's and a massive rock crab.

Here is a picture of Rocky!!!
001.jpg

The consequence of the fishing being so good and posting is that I am getting more calls from friends and extended family wanting to go. Went out at 11:00 am for a few hours. Fished the big Herring on one side and a Chovie on the other. All the Chovie got was pinks but the Herring got Newfie a nice teen to take home. We also had two other heavy Chinook hits on the Herring but they did not stick on long. One thing about the big Herring is that they are large and robust enough that you can actually often determine jaw size and see how they are being hit, from the back, from the front and from the side. I have to say I am becoming a fan. Their size also seem to discourage pinks although we have caught 2 on them. I think I am going to have to add a stinger as there is a lot of space back of the treble and we are missing some short bites.

Crabbing has been excellent; the percentage of hard shell is going up including some 7 inchers. The carapace on Rocky was bigger than keeper dungie size and he had really massive claws. Way more vicious looking than the dungies and not something you want clamped to your finger.

WARNING Someone decided to put down a crab trap about 65 feet from the entrance into the Sunny Shores fuel dock. It is shallow there and he is using heavy FLOATING rope, 80 feet of which was right on the surface blocking the approach. Luckily we had come down off plane when we hit it (no where near the float) and the rope pulled the floats and jammed them into the upper leg. Apparently we were the 2nd victim in about half an hour. We should have pulled it and left it on the dock but did not. If one of the shaft drive bigger boat hits it they may need divers and it could flip a small boat on plane if the trap did not drag. Two mustard colored tube floats with a heavy blue rope going through them and a name sort of carved into one that began with a C. Hopefully someone will pull it before this guy racks up some serious liability with this blatant hazard to navigation blocking the entrance to the marina.

Last edited by a moderator:
WARNING Someone decided to put down a crab trap about 65 feet from the entrance into the Sunny Shores fuel dock. It is shallow there and he is using heavy FLOATING rope, 80 feet of which was right on the surface blocking the approach. Luckily we had come down off plane when we hit it (no where near the float) and the rope pulled the floats and jammed them into the upper leg. Apparently we were the 2nd victim in about half an hour. We should have pulled it and left it on the dock but did not. If one of the shaft drive bigger boat hits it they may need divers and it could flip a small boat on plane if the trap did not drag. Two mustard colored tube floats with a heavy blue rope going through them and a name sort of carved into one that began with a C. Hopefully someone will pull it before this guy racks up some serious liability with this blatant hazard to navigation blocking the entrance to the marina.
Yeah that thing got us too, so maybe that makes three of us! Same thing, just coming off plane and the float jammed between the leg and the boat. Pulled us up with a jolt I can tell you!! May have damaged my new transducer. Won't know till next time I am out. Some folks have such little consideration..........

Right on English!! :)

lol oh so Rockfish I was actually thinking of phoning you tonight as I ended up with the day off tomorrow. Now I read your post I wont :p Looks like you gotta line up. Nice work again you guys!

Fished sheringham and otter for the first time today and yesterday. Picked up a beauty 23.5 yesterday just off the light house. Fish hit a green glo teaser and flasher set up, and had a lot of life in it. Had a good smash another set up just before on a pre rigged purple haze that stripped the chovy right behind the treble. This set up had this happen many times, stinger hooks from here on out. lots of pinks and a few coho yesterday, but today was pretty slow for us, just pinks. Great fishery here in Sooke, all the spots are pretty close and easy to fish. Xena we met at the launch on Tuesday, thanks for the info on otter. Our boat was the hard top trophy named solowey.

Your Right SOOKE is a hidden GEM lots of fish for the last few years and seems to be getting better and better glad your finding it good!!!!!
and otter is good along with all the other spots continue have a good time ,
Good luck Wolf

Hey dmurph, Great to hear that you had got a beauty! you have the perfect boat for a trip out to the lighthouse. hopefully the wind was lighter for you, we were bobbing pretty good on Tuesday! Xena

Lost one screamer, huge strong runs away then right back at the boat faster then I could reel, then repeat :) It was a hoot until it got off. Felt like a biggy :)

Your helm man may need to help you out when you are getting charged faster than you can reel. You don’t want them getting any slack with barbless hooks. If I see that happening I will sometimes give the kicker a little short burst of speed and usually ask if they need some help catching up. I have a full remote kicker so it is easy and fast. If you are fishing into a strong current and get one on be careful about dropping the kicker speed too much to play the fish as the current will be pushing you backwards while the fish is charging the boat, not a good combination for them getting slack on you and throwing the hook.

Last edited by a moderator:
Another good day for the "wolf" crew the smile on this kids face is why I love my job it was his 1st time ever on the ocean and I told him I can say for sure I will get you a salmon today it may be a pink but ill work hard for a spring for you so after a good lesson with the downrigger as a demo going up and down and him playing it like a salmon felt confident he could do it. didnt have to wait long he landed his first ever a nice 14 lber then some pinks.

Then it was DADS turn told all about no slack on the line dont look at the fish etc etc . fish comes up at the back of the boat im coaching away telling him "DONT LOOK AT THE FISH" flasher pops up he looks down and stops reeling only to see a mid 20s fish flip the hook "ITS GONE" he says ... YUP I know.... look at your rod !!!!straight as an arrow WELL #$&^%*&^*&%$& you just told me that 1 second ago .I nod YUP.....kid says dad your in the penalty box!!!!! how funny is that!!! LOL.

Re-bait go a little further kids on again BAM he got the bigger one a 18 lber,
bit rough but fishable. keep a couple pinks for me as well for the smoker
Good luck Wolf

Attachments

• image010.jpg
    image010.jpg
    97.5 KB · Views: 604
I couldnt believe it when the phone rang yesterday. A guy picked up my bag, put it in his truck
thinking it was his. It sat in his truck for 4 days before he went out fishing again. Ive got my stuff back and my faith in mankind is restored. I thought it was stolen 4 sure.

And we have been nailing springs in the high teens in the usual spots. Sheringham to the trap.
Hooked into massive hally in an undisclosed location. Ended up ripping the reel off the rod if you would believe it. 2 men, one on rod one on reel. 40 minutes reeling it up inch by inch. We got it to about 45' from the boat, then the circle hook ripped out. Hope hes okay down there. 3 iphones on standby for a picture/ video. Oh well.

QUOTE=rockdog;305318]That is unreal! I sure hope you get that stuff back......but it does seem unlikely. I hate thieves! I remember reading a post a year or 2 ago that someone had their electric down rigger stolen from that same place, right off their boat, while cleaning fish.[/QUOTE]

Your helm man may need to help you out when you are getting charged faster than you can reel. You don’t want them getting any slack with barbless hooks. If I see that happening I will sometimes give the kicker a little short burst of speed and usually ask if they need some help catching up. I have a full remote kicker so it is easy and fast. If you are fishing into a strong current and get one on be careful about dropping the kicker speed too much to play the fish as the current will be pushing you backwards while the fish is charging the boat, not a good combination for them getting slack on you and throwing the hook.

Thanks for the advice!

Was out yesterday at Otter (6:30-10:30). Had no problem limiting out on Springs. 25,23,18,10 (wish the 10 wasn't the 1st fish!), lost 3 screamers and a couple smaller ones. Also picked up 3 pinks in the process. It was all about depth yesterday and a good roll on the anchovies. Was lumpy (sea legs required) but I suspect that helped with the action on the gear.
"If you are fishing into a strong current and get one on be careful about dropping the kicker speed too much to play the fish as the current will be pushing you backwards while the fish is charging the boat, not a good combination for them getting slack on you and throwing the hook." good advice hehe...lost one cause I slowed down a little too much to get out of a group of boats.

Was out yesterday at Otter (6:30-10:30). Had no problem limiting out on Springs. 25,23,18,10 (wish the 10 wasn't the 1st fish!), lost 3 screamers and a couple smaller ones. Also picked up 3 pinks in the process. It was all about depth yesterday and a good roll on the anchovies. Was lumpy (sea legs required) but I suspect that helped with the action on the gear.
"If you are fishing into a strong current and get one on be careful about dropping the kicker speed too much to play the fish as the current will be pushing you backwards while the fish is charging the boat, not a good combination for them getting slack on you and throwing the hook." good advice hehe...lost one cause I slowed down a little too much to get out of a group of boats.

good job out there, care to share your lucky depth?

Back