Single Barbless clarification

Bassblaster

Hey Guys,

I'm a bit confused regarding the exact regs for the use of single barbless hooks. My confusion comes from the "Single" aspect of the definition.

Looking at gear at the retailers, on friends boats, and on line, there's tons of gear with more than one "Single Barbless Hook" being sold for salmon etc. and I'm trying to get the ruling straight.

For example, almost every pre-rigged Hoochie I've seen in the store comes with two single barbless hooks run in tandem. Same goes for the fresh-bait rigs for herring and anchovies.

So my confusion comes from how you can have two or more single barbless hooks when that goes against the definition of Single?

Is it simple to state No Treble Hooks and that it's okay to run more than one single in tandem because the hook itself has only one point? If that's the case, can I swap my trebles off other lures, change them to singles and be within the law? Or do I need to only have one hook on the lure period?

Thanks in advance for helping sort this out because the way I'm interpreting the regs half the product in the stores is illegal!

Last edited by a moderator:
What regs are you reading? Make sure that you read the tidal water regs for fishing in saltwater. salmon in the river different regs apply.

Richard

What regs are you reading? Make sure that you read the tidal water regs for fishing in saltwater. salmon in the river different regs apply.

Richard

Ya not sure what you are referring to Bb. As the regs read for the chuck...

It is illegal to:
• fish for salmon, cutthroat trout and steelhead with a barbed hook.

Tandems and trebs are not regulated.

Only certain areas will specify "Single barbless hook" as in the alberni canal north of Loantree I believe. Not 100% sure on the exact line, but at any rate, in these specific areas, you may only use 1 "single barbless hook" in any other are you can use treble, double singles, or singles in tandem, or whatever you wish, as long as they are barbless...

Copied and pasted straight from DFO regs.

"SINGLE BARBLESS HOOK - a barbless hook with only one point. A treble hook is not considered to be a single hook."

http://www.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/fm-gp/rec/gloss/index-eng.htm

Also copied and pasted from the same page:

"TREBLE HOOK - a hook with three separate points radiating out from one common shank. Treble hooks are permitted in tidal waters, however when fishing for salmon, cutthroat trout or steelhead, these hooks must be barbless."

The previous quote does not preclude the use of treble hooks, it is only a glossary of terms.

" The previous quote does not preclude the use of treble hooks, it is only a glossary of terms.

The OP (bassblaster) asked for the definition of single barbless hooks. That IS the DFO definition! It has also been stated in this thread that only the "barbless" point applies to salmon fishing in general throughout the various zones. Multiple single point or treble hooks are legal for said species as long as they are barbless.
However, if he (bassblaster) had plans on fishing in an area that required single barbless hooks, then he would only be legal by using hooks as I quoted in my post.

Back