Single barbless

sss

I am aware that all freshwater lakes, river and streams are to be fished with single barbless hooks in BC. A friend recently told me you cannot have any lures/setups in your tackle box that have trebles or barbs. I have one tackle box and take it with me saltwater (I know barbs are not allowed in salt also) and out of province (recently Alberta). Not really interested in sorting through my tackle every time I leave to go fishing. Can anyone confirm this rule?

You are wrong. Every lake in BC is different. I fish Okanagan lake all the time and it just had a barbless rule. I use trebles on my plugs I just pinch all the barbs down. Shuswap is a single and barbless fishery. Skaha has none of them. You need to read the regs for every body of water you fish as it changes.

Creeks and rivers are different from lakes though. Single barbless there.

Pinch those barbs diligently. I've seen COs run hooks over a shirt cuff to see if the barb was properly pinched off. Barb catches a thread = your hook is not barbless. How it goes from there depends on personalities involved, might be ticket issued, might not.

I just checked the regs on-line and all lakes, streams in my region 1-7 Van Isl., require single barbless. I'm okay with that, just wanted to make sure I don't have to empty and reload my tackle every time I go on a trip out of my region.

From my experience if there’s a salmon run in/through whatever lake your fishing it will have a barbless hook reg.

I just checked the regs on-line and all lakes, streams in my region 1-7 Van Isl., require single barbless.
Where are you reading that? Look on page 13; Regional Regulations of Region 1:

"Single barbless hook: must be used in all
streams of Region 1, all year."

There is no mention of a single barbless rule for lakes of Region 1. Never has been.

You can verify regs for tidal waters, and FRESHWATER SALMON here:
https://www.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/fm-gp/rec/index-eng.html

Where are you reading that? Look on page 13; Regional Regulations of Region 1:

"Single barbless hook: must be used in all
streams of Region 1, all year."

There is no mention of a single barbless rule for lakes of Region 1. Never has been.

You can verify regs for tidal waters, and FRESHWATER SALMON here:
https://www.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/fm-gp/rec/index-eng.html
Sorry you are correct. The single barbless rule applies to the lakes in my area; not all lakes in region 1

Sorry you are correct. The single barbless rule applies to the lakes in my area; not all lakes in region 1
Could you please give a link to that rule? I can't find any single barbless rule applying to all lakes in M.U. 1-7. Actually, I can't find any regs at the Management Unit level. I did look carefully in the Water-Specific Regs for Region 1, and counted 6 lakes in M.U. 1-7 that are barbless, so maybe you only fish those lakes.

It’s like any region, if it’s not listed in the regs, you follow the regional regulations. Which means if the lake isn’t listed, then you can use barbed trebles if you want.

Simplistically, On Vancouver Island, If it is "moving water" (rivers or tidal) Barbless hooks are required. Rivers and Streams are Single Barbless.
Non-Moving Water (Lakes) generally you can use whatever hook you prefer. There are many exceptions though so look up the individual Lake you plan to fish and see what the specific requirements are.

As to having Barbed hooks in your tackle box, There is no rule prohibiting possession. An Officer may request to look in your tackle box to make a decision if you are found fishing in violation of Hook requirements. Barbed hook on your line and all barbed in your tackle box.... You would likely get a $575 Ticket.

CR Greg

And to keep in mind that should you go to a National Park Lake, be sure you have NO LEAD weights/sinkers in the boat.
I think there is a weight parameter as well, maybe like a down rigger ball is OK.
Don't recall the barbed hook rule but likely not permitted.

Back