Silver Streak or Double Eagle

I must digress... this topic could never end :) Thanks for all the helpful input. Both are great boats. I'm not sure I'm any further ahead though :) I think I've learned one thing. Have more patience and wait it out for a good used boat.

To give you an idea what the used 206 De's go for,I sold my 2006 with about 560 hours I think last year for $39K.It was totally rigged w/radar,TR1 autopilot, 225 &9.9 Yamaha's,etc.etc. and was near mint shape.The only other one I saw for sale was $36K and not as well equipped but in nice shape.I bought mine in Edmonton,they are hard to find.

To give you an idea what the used 206 De's go for,I sold my 2006 with about 560 hours I think last year for $39K.It was totally rigged w/radar,TR1 autopilot, 225 &9.9 Yamaha's,etc.etc. and was near mint shape.The only other one I saw for sale was $36K and not as well equipped but in nice shape.I bought mine in Edmonton,they are hard to find.

Thanks, that helps. I did see one for sale last year for right around the $40k mark as well. Unfortunately I missed it. Why did you sell yours...you wanted bigger? Is that a Wellcraft you've got now? They are near the top of my list as well. If I saw a good used one, I'd consider it.

Thanks, that helps. I did see one for sale last year for right around the $40k mark as well. Unfortunately I missed it. Why did you sell yours...you wanted bigger? Is that a Wellcraft you've got now? They are near the top of my list as well. If I saw a good used one, I'd consider it.

I think Ray's boat is an aquasport......but I believe wellcraft/aquasport/hydrasport are all the same.

Ray just likes boats......he's had this one way too long.....he's due for a new one any day :D

Not this time Darren,I can't find anything wrong with this one to justify changing again,besides the tax man has taken enough from me for a while.And your right ,Aquasport,Wellcraft and Hydra-sport were all built by the same company till 2005.But then I've always wanted a Pursuit,Hmmmm.

I've been in a 18'6 silver streak at inlet marine and it felt small compared to my old 185 double eagle so compared to a 20 double eagle there not even in the same class imo.

Surprised no one has brought up the fact that Alum boats seem to be a bit cold? Probably not an issue for most but i've always found it a bit of an issue....everything you touch is cold!
I know, picky, just sayin....

I've been in a 18'6 silver streak at inlet marine and it felt small compared to my old 185 double eagle so compared to a 20 double eagle there not even in the same class imo.
But that’s comparing two podded boats because your DE was podded. The 206 wouldn’t be podded so your old one probably had a better dance floor than the standard 206

But that’s comparing two podded boats because your DE was podded. The 206 wouldn’t be podded so your old one probably had a better dance floor than the standard 206

100% correct........my podded 185 had a way larger dance floor than a 206 with well and hardtop. But no cuddy either

Your comparing a 20 ft boat to an 18ft boat. Two feet makes tons of difference. Also the DE draft is way deeper. So if the ride isn't important, and you can take the occasional pounding on west coast to you pick the SS.

You can't compare handling with these aluminum boats to DE's or Hourstons. I wanted an aluminum a while ago but I would get something bigger if went that route. 20 feet up. Kind of tough to beat ride of glass though... The SS always seemed small to me vs some of the others.

Your comparing a 20 ft boat to an 18ft boat. Two feet makes tons of difference. Also the DE draft is way deeper. So if the ride isn't important, and you can take the occasional pounding on west coast to you pick the SS.

You can't compare handling with these aluminum boats to DE's or Hourstons. I wanted an aluminum a while ago but I would get something bigger if went that route. 20 feet up. Kind of tough to beat ride of glass though... The SS always seemed small to me vs some of the others.

It all depends on what part of the "length" is important to you. The pod on the SS is part of the hull and essentially extends the hull another 2' . That back 2' on the DE is useless as well as it's all motor well. This debate can go on forever :) I see both sides still. I do honestly believe the ride of a fibreglass is better...otherwise I wouldn't be asking about it. The lack of cleaning, polishing and waxing with an aluminum already has me sold.

Go see Doug at North West Aluminium, he will build you your boat of a lifetime. Not dissing the silverstreak but i went for a fish in an 18 ft model 20 years ago, my back has never been the same since.....

I went to the silver streak two seasons ago from a double eagle. Although it was from a 17 DE to a 18 SS it was a huge difference in fishing space. The 18.5 is a beautiful boat I would have it any day over a glass boat the SS is built very solid and is all you will need on both sides of the island, I use mine off Ucluelet . A friend of mine has a 20ft DE and wants to go aluminum. The SS is the way to go I would say and will always hold its value.
Which silver Streak have you got? The “gambier”?

It all depends on what part of the "length" is important to you. The pod on the SS is part of the hull and essentially extends the hull another 2' . That back 2' on the DE is useless as well as it's all motor well. This debate can go on forever :) I see both sides still. I do honestly believe the ride of a fibreglass is better...otherwise I wouldn't be asking about it. The lack of cleaning, polishing and waxing with an aluminum already has me sold.

What you need is a Double Eagle 206 inboard and then pod it. That would be the best of both worlds. Good glass ride with the fishing room of the 20 foot Silver Streak. Probably way more economical as well to outfit an older glass boat and get what you want.

Oly

Back