Silver Streak or Double Eagle

Thanks for that...not sure how that got by me. I check for slightly used ones daily!

Looks like it's in Alberta - potentially good for tax purposes depending on where you keep the boat... a road trip maybe tho to go see it...

Looks like Garmin electronics and not many hours on her power...

I bought the 206 DE I had in Edmonton,still had to pay the tax when getting new registration on the boat and paid tax on trailer after having it inspected at Can.Tire.No way around taxes these days that I know of.

I think if double eagle would stretch that 206 out to a 22 or 24 it would be a big hit. It’s a nice boat but the fishing area is pretty small .

As the owner of an older 206 that is definitely one thing I think about a lot. If the boat was stretched two or three feet and podded it would be incredible. I have actually considered doing it myself when I have the space.
Just buy a 23Ft Hourston. Lol. I am surprised that they never did also. Still think one of the best boats ever built is their 17.5 Double Eagle

I have the 18.6 DE and would like it stretched. I don't think the 20.6DE and the 18.6 Challenger SS are equal comparisons, its like apples to oranges. If that was my choice without a doubt the DE wins. Last year at the Vic boat show both boats were on show. If I remember DE was 72K with 175 4 stroke, the SS 21 new phantom cuddy model (only 1 I would want) was $145K. Those boats are comparable, in my eyes the open bow 18.6SS is not in the same class as the 20.6 DE cuddy. The open water grabbing bow of the SS seams like something I would not want on ocean, even in the SOG. Compare and or spend the extra and get the phantom.

HM

Those boats are comparable, in my eyes the open bow 18.6SS is not in the same class as the 20.6 DE cuddy. The open water grabbing bow of the SS seams like something I would not want on ocean, even in the SOG. Compare and or spend the extra and get the phantom.

HM

I have yet to see an open bow challenger, pretty sure the OP is comparing the regular challenger HT.

Basically it comes down to wanting glass or alum, personally I would never buy a new 206 when you can get a nice 10-15yr old boston whaler conquest 235 with newer power for about the same price as a new 206.

https://www.boattrader.com/listing/...onquest-103521780/?refSource=standard listing

I have the 18.6 DE and would like it stretched. I don't think the 20.6DE and the 18.6 Challenger SS are equal comparisons, its like apples to oranges. If that was my choice without a doubt the DE wins. Last year at the Vic boat show both boats were on show. If I remember DE was 72K with 175 4 stroke, the SS 21 new phantom cuddy model (only 1 I would want) was $145K. Those boats are comparable, in my eyes the open bow 18.6SS is not in the same class as the 20.6 DE cuddy. The open water grabbing bow of the SS seams like something I would not want on ocean, even in the SOG. Compare and or spend the extra and get the phantom.

HM
They are comparable when it comes to price tags, which is why I've narrowed down to those w. The Challenger I'm looking at is 21' overall when you include the pod that is integrated into the hull. My dilemma right now is which one is more boat for the money. Clearly it's debatable. Excluding the cuddy, the space inside the boat is very similar. The Phantom is certainly my dream boat as well, but I can't justify the huge extra cost when the smaller boat will serve 90% of my needs. Maybe I'm better off waiting for the boat show when they are all under one roof. Easier to compare.[/QUOTE]

I have yet to see an open bow challenger, pretty sure the OP is comparing the regular challenger HT.

Basically it comes down to wanting glass or alum, personally I would never buy a new 206 when you can get a nice 10-15yr old boston whaler conquest 235 with newer power for about the same price as a new 206.

https://www.boattrader.com/listing/2006-boston-whaler-235-conquest-103521780/?refSource=standard listing
I looked up the challenger and your correct, no open bow, just a flat low bow. Certainly not in the same class as a 20.6 DE. Unless money become no object I would never buy a new boat, same as vehicle. Let someone else take the depreciation, bigger tax hit and buy used/not abused.
They are comparable when it comes to price tags, which is why I've narrowed down to those w. The Challenger I'm looking at is 21' overall when you include the pod that is integrated into the hull. My dilemma right now is which one is more boat for the money. Clearly it's debatable. Excluding the cuddy, the space inside the boat is very similar. The Phantom is certainly my dream boat as well, but I can't justify the huge extra cost when the smaller boat will serve 90% of my needs. Maybe I'm better off waiting for the boat show when they are all under one roof. Easier to compare.
[/QUOTE]
Ok agree with comparable price tags but certainly not with capability. Like the boat show idea as it was real easy to see when both boats were 50 ft apart, and you can go in and look, compare and immediately see the differences. Welds??? For me not even a close choice, I know what one I would get, also know what boat I would want to be in when the Northern SOG gets the strong afternoon SE wind against a big flood and the rollers are rolling.

HM

Welds??? For me not even a close choice, I know what one I would get, also know what boat I would want to be in when the Northern SOG gets the strong afternoon SE wind against a big flood and the rollers are rolling.
HM

So are you saying welded alum boats are not as strong as glass? lol

I would LOVE to be in a glass boat coming out the North arm and end up with a log through the hull, nevermind wind, let's talk about durability in our local waters filled with neutrally buoyant logs....

There is a reason that offshore boats are generally welded aluminum, do a quick google image search for offshore fishing charters in AK and you will find a nice selection of alum boats, some being SS too.

I looked up the challenger and your correct, no open bow, just a flat low bow. Certainly not in the same class as a 20.6 DE. Unless money become no object I would never buy a new boat, same as vehicle. Let someone else take the depreciation, bigger tax hit and buy used/not abused.

HM

I completely agree with buying used. Try to find a used SS though...they don't come around often. There is the odd DE 206 up for sale, but they're usually older than I'd like.

I would LOVE to be in a glass boat coming out the North arm and end up with a log through the hull, nevermind wind, let's talk about durability in our local waters filled with neutrally buoyant logs....

There is a reason that offshore boats are generally welded aluminum, do a quick google image search for offshore fishing charters in AK and you will find a nice selection of alum boats, some being SS too.
What he’s saying is he would rather be in the DE in snotty rough weather...... way better sea boat

Not getting into any competition if glass or welded is better. Chevy/Ford/Dodge no winner. I am saying that the 2 specific models in question in OP are not in the same category. Both are good west coast boats, the 20.6 Hartop cuddy DE is lots MORE boat than the 18.6 hartop SS mentioned. As for durability I will say the DE has stood the test of time for over 40+ years, I don't want to be in any boat that end up with a log thru the hull, aluminum or glass. Neither are log proof.

As for your comment on welded off shore boats, the correctly made west coast aluminums (no river, jet in name) are tough and well used in the Northwest and Alaska and would be my choice if budget was not an option, but I have fished internationally in many countries for many species and have yet to see or been on any aluminum boat. Just a comparison, fiberglass still rules worldwide.

HM

The durability, lack of maintenance and outright longevity of well designed and properly built aluminum boats are, in my opinion, superior to fibreglass. Whether these factors justify the much higher prices is an entirely personal decision. This is not to say fibreglass boats are bad (I have one and love it), but the only way you get similar durability and longevity is with the old and big fibreglass boats like the Glasply's and Uniflite's and some others. The super thick hull layups offer amazing durability, but they also weigh a ton, which in turn offers a great ride. But to plane these brutes, which were designed when gas was 20 cents a gallon, is kind of ridiculous in terms of cost in 2019 and in the future. Huge upfront costs for motors and dozens of gallons an hour consumption rates in today's world is unaffordable unless you are using the boat to make money. But for most recreational boaters and fishers, budgets are limited.

I have many times looked at how much big fibreglass boat you can get for very little money. Old, solid boats, many in great shape. But unless you're going to limit yourself to displacement speeds, the running costs can be astronomical.

My old 18'2" Hourston has a 115 Yamaha four stroke. Eventually I may get a little more power by repowering with a Suzuki 140, which weighs virtually the same. I'm told it might even offer better fuel economy because I can run it a lower RPM at a given speed than the 115. However, I have heard that some guys with big twins spend $100 to go from Sooke to Otter and back. I can go to from Sooke to Sheringham and back, a number of times, for the same money.

I don't know where people get the six figure money for the boats and the cash to run and maintain them. But I do say, good for them!

Last edited:
Just look everyday at the used sites , auto search craigslist , local sites and even Facebook market place. Took 6 months to find my boat and I just brought cash as soon as it popped up.

It’s worth it when you pay a fraction of new cost.

JF

Just look everyday at the used sites , auto search craigslist , local sites and even Facebook market place. Took 6 months to find my boat and I just brought cash as soon as it popped up.

It’s worth it when you pay a fraction of new cost.

JF
Your avatar boat looks awesome, would guess does all you want/need and costs way less than the 100-200K needed0 for same welded. That small extra gas costs would take many years to recover. Maybe Allanb76 would make you an offer??? Kidding.

HM

Back