16.5 double eagle questions

islander55

I'm extremely torn on wtf to re power my 16.5 double eagle with considering I've run 90 two strokes that I've had and I know 4 strokes weigh more but I'm 230lbs my 90 2 stroke was 268 and kicker weighs 97lbs. A new mercury 90 weighs 358lbs
I've heard 90 is a bit stern heavy which is weird and 70 yamaha I'm pretty sure would be under .. I'll be selling my yamaha 8hp and just use the main to troll with

a 90 will be stern heavy on a 16.5 boat. i have no idea where you plan on mainly fishing but it’s no fun having your transom an inch or so out of the water all the time. plus if you’re planning on trolling off main, go as light as you dare. my buddy had a 50 yammy on his whaler clone and yes it was slightly underpowered but it had that “idle control” feature where he could dial it down to next to nothing to troll from and i believe he paid around $5500 back in the day.

point is… run up the hours on the main won’t hurt your brain so much. i would never not have a kicker but that’s just me. even as a get home option. small 4 hp or something

I know someone that is happy with the 50 Tohatsu on his 16 boat.How much less weight is a 70 from the 90,I think a 90 is too big for a 16 Footer,depending on what your using it for.

Back