Off shore small boat or jet ski as second boat

kaelc

I’ve been chatting with a few BC jet ski boys and watching Australians slay fish on theirs, usually with some freediving bikini babes mixed in. I’m coming around to a jet ski being a good quick fishing platform, solo or with one extra person, then I realize I have two kids and they will both want to go with me and mom will want them out of the house! So I’m leaning to a 16 foot and under aluminum with about 50hp. My dad has a deep v 16 foot StarCraft that my brother fished out of Bamfield with and I am a fan of stabicrafts marketing of their small boats. In particular their marketing of the 1450 is amazing. The price is quite the eye opener.

I know a member on here who uses his 17 lifetimer religiously with his kids for quick missions and barely fishes his big new boat.

Has anyone had any other 15-16 foot tiller style aluminums made in North America they would take offshore with confidence? Browsing Silver Streak but likely out of my budget unless Andy sponsors me, not happening!

If BC boat builders aren’t taking note of the marketing Stabicraft does they better, a dozen amazing YouTube videos professionally produced of their small aluminum.

Thanks for all ideas. Might be 2-3 years out on a purchase unless a $1000 StarCraft comes up.

that’s super awesome. what are your thoughts on a small whaler? there’s a few 13-15’ whalers around. put some nice power on it. they’re fairly heavy which would make them stable.685FA4B6-19FE-4255-B634-1ACACA2C346C.jpeg

that’s super awesome. what are your thoughts on a small whaler? there’s a few 13-15’ whalers around. put some nice power on it. they’re fairly heavy which would make them stable.View attachment 85595
My buddy has a bigger whaler 19 foot and it is incredible. For me I want to beach it, drive it up to the cattle point launch, no dock, so buying a fiberglass one is out for me.

a sea eagle is probably the best fishing platform youre going to get. stable enough and cheap enough ($5K) as well as all the bells and whistles of a bigger boat with bimini, gas motor etc.
dump it in the back of a truck, attach the side wheels and you can solo launch it from any gravel pad or car parking. no trailer required. also can do 35+kph and can be fitted with electric only drives.

a sea eagle is probably the best fishing platform youre going to get. stable enough and cheap enough ($5K) as well as all the bells and whistles of a bigger boat with bimini, gas motor etc.
dump it in the back of a truck, attach the side wheels and you can solo launch it from any gravel pad or car parking. no trailer required. also can do 35+kph and can be fitted with electric only drives.
Taking that offshore would be a death wish

I have looked at the takacats and watch that guy in NZ use them but worried about durability, and no way you could get the speed out of them like you could with the heavier aluminums and jet skis. Problem is with the jet ski when it blows up, I’m not sure how they would perform. The inflatable cats are pretty cool for what they are, popular in the UK too. I would like to see the Sea Eagle do 15 anything in chop or swells, they seem a little light duty.

Dont think a sea doo is what you'll want, but my son bought this for his "third" boat..GTX230 with the Adventure option
Things a beast, port to Bamfield in minutes not hrs, 3 person.
Not my thing but yeah..20220925_110510.jpg

Last edited:
I’ve been chatting with a few BC jet ski boys and watching Australians slay fish on theirs, usually with some freediving bikini babes mixed in. I’m coming around to a jet ski being a good quick fishing platform, solo or with one extra person, then I realize I have two kids and they will both want to go with me and mom will want them out of the house! So I’m leaning to a 16 foot and under aluminum with about 50hp. My dad has a deep v 16 foot StarCraft that my brother fished out of Bamfield with and I am a fan of stabicrafts marketing of their small boats. In particular their marketing of the 1450 is amazing. The price is quite the eye opener.

I know a member on here who uses his 17 lifetimer religiously with his kids for quick missions and barely fishes his big new boat.

Has anyone had any other 15-16 foot tiller style aluminums made in North America they would take offshore with confidence? Browsing Silver Streak but likely out of my budget unless Andy sponsors me, not happening!

If BC boat builders aren’t taking note of the marketing Stabicraft does they better, a dozen amazing YouTube videos professionally produced of their small aluminum.

Thanks for all ideas. Might be 2-3 years out on a purchase unless a $1000 StarCraft comes up.
What type of boat is your normal boat?

I have a 16’ Silverstreak with a helm and factory pod. It has to be one of the most seaworthy 16’ boats I’ve seen and compared to a 25’+ glass boat it is terrible offshore. I only poked out past Bamfield once and I didn’t like it. For jigging and beaching it’s great.

lots of bammers have kallahan,, i use a ex guide boat from north king lodge.. smallest boat i could find with a wash down deck. useable for beaching, prawning etc. it handles rough water and bobs like a cork but is very safe with high railing, i just pick the right days to go "out" in it. it was ok powered with a 60. i can tow and launch it with my subaru.

Here ya go, 450hp tiller get you off shore in a hurry lol

What’s your idea of offshore? Chatted with a guy in Kyuquot years back who would fish offshore in his Kallahan 18’. Showed us his hali spot 25miles offshore 😬. I Used to fish out of a 16’ Crestliner and I still miss it. I had it…4 miles offshore in Renfrew. Having said that there are times when I could take that boat anywhere when weather allowed. Could fit in the garage, kept all my gear hooked up and loaded. Could hand bomb it onto my hitch and be gone in minutes. Run it up onto the rocks and explore Desolation Sound. Life was simpler. Now with 2 kids, harder to pick days, I’m glad I have a bigger boat. A moored boat is the only way to go for a quick fish with kids. I’d say if you’re looking for a cheap, offshore 16’, there isn’t one. It’s either like a lifetimer or SS but you’re gonna pay. Otherwise look at a Lund, princecraft, or smokercraft for a little rip around. Nevermind the added costs of owning a 2nd boat. I vote for a little tinner like @Irishwolf.

What’s your idea of offshore? Chatted with a guy in Kyuquot years back who would fish offshore in his Kallahan 18’. Showed us his hali spot 25miles offshore 😬. I Used to fish out of a 16’ Crestliner and I still miss it. I had it…4 miles offshore in Renfrew. Having said that there are times when I could take that boat anywhere when weather allowed. Could fit in the garage, kept all my gear hooked up and loaded. Could hand bomb it onto my hitch and be gone in minutes. Run it up onto the rocks and explore Desolation Sound. Life was simpler. Now with 2 kids, harder to pick days, I’m glad I have a bigger boat. A moored boat is the only way to go for a quick fish with kids. I’d say if you’re looking for a cheap, offshore 16’, there isn’t one. It’s either like a lifetimer or SS but you’re gonna pay. Otherwise look at a Lund, princecraft, or smokercraft for a little rip around. Nevermind the added costs of owning a 2nd boat. I vote for a little tinner like @Irishwolf.
Yeah moored it definitely something we should consider as dads. I’m just torn since best kids area is Sidney and I love fishing the waterfront Constance and border. I used to moor the boat near gorge Tillicum but loading traps and Hali anchor was a pain.

Off shore would likely be within 5 miles but on perfect weather and forcast days with all safety gear than a run to Swiftsure etc would be in the cards if the speed was there 30mph +

Luke from Hypermodes Chinese chambered boats are affordable in that size but they are too similar to stabicraft for me even though the US copied their design for decades.

im super impressed with @spring fever mikes shadowline he just got built. It fits in his garage, and I would have no problem taking that thing into a war. It is a solid built boat like a Daigle boat or a Bridgeview or a Cope.

A friend has a 15ft Silverstreak with a 40hp tiller that is great for running to Constance from Cattle Point. We mostly jig fish and the long gunnel rails make a great spot for attaching the driftsock. Would recommend it to fit your requirements.

The seat compartments are not dry though so there's always water (usually rain) getting in over the battery. But it's rare to find a properly design hatch on any boat..

I know a member on here who uses his 17 lifetimer religiously with his kids for quick missions and barely fishes his big new boat

It’s actually 18’ Lifetimer offshore (centre console). It fits in the garage so it ready to go at all times. I just back my truck up and hook it up. Clean up is quick too. Flush the motors and give it a quick hose down and roll it back into the garage. The only thing easier is a 14’.

Easy to launch and fish solo if I have too. Also can fish up to 7 ppl (or a crew of 12 year olds) 😝

Price is for Boat, Motor and Controls (Trailer not available)

$13,500

17 foot Inflatable Boat with Fiberglass Hull 4 years old Holds air perfectly, ready to go with no issues. All seats are made from UHMW and the highest grade marine foam guaranteeing no water retention at all with heavy duty hinge brackets. with 50Hp Yamaha engine, 4 years old, no hours counter. most hours are idling, except for the couple minutes it takes to get out to Howe Sound and back into the channel. All maintenance, anoids and impeller changed & checked regularly and oil changed twice a year Discounts available if seats are removed Sold As is

BE3C58B7-4FBD-4472-9871-3E84FA48742E.jpeg

idk, offshore + kids + small boat is a disaster waiting to happen in my opinion. One bad day in a boat with a kid and good luck getting them to go back out again, never mind the safety concerns.

I have a couple of fishing buddies that have 2 boats, a bigger 18-22footer for offshore/hali fishing and a 14 footer for inshore nice day quicker trips. I also have a couple of buddies that just have the bigger boat and don't go out much because its more work. I love my tinny for all the reasons @N2013 noted but it’s a pick your day boat. And while it tends to float over rougher water, it's too hard to fish from with the waves bouncing you around.

It’s actually 18’ Lifetimer offshore (centre console). It fits in the garage so it ready to go at all times. I just back my truck up and hook it up. Clean up is quick too. Flush the motors and give it a quick hose down and roll it back into the garage. The only thing easier is a 14’.

Easy to launch and fish solo if I have too. Also can fish up to 7 ppl (or a crew of 12 year olds) 😝
I've been in this boat, it's a DREAM to fish from and ride in.

Back