Sidney Report

Hey Hali was out there today fishin was great 8 or so fish in 4 hrs a few nice one's around 12-13lbs and crabbing was insane!

Last Sunday we got our limit in 80-100 ' just north of the red can in Sidney channel - green flashers, green/glow coyotes on the bottom. 3 out of 4 were clipped, all 8-10 pounds. Monday only one keeper, 11 pounds, same gear/place. Told my neighbour about it and last night he called to tell me he limited yesterday afternoon: two 22's, a 16 and a "little one". He's out there again today and I would be too if I hadn't gone to the Victoria Whiskey Festival yesterday...

out on a buddys boat on wednesday, got about 4 small ones in the channel, ran to fairfax got a 8 and a 15 at about 3 pm, a coyote got the bigger fish,good day

Anybody here about all the traps submerged in sidney channel ? Sounds like a nightmare out there ritenow.

Yea, I had a 12lb cannonball and some gear wrapped around one on friday.Floats were sunk in the middle of the channel. Was so pissed off I tried to haul it up and get my gear back. Not as strong as I thought.
The commercial crabber out there just doesn't care- I watched him as he ran over my floats last year. Guy wasn't even at the helm!
Methinks it's gonna get ugly the day I meet him...

For the past couple of weeks the crap traps have been a little crazy. Just passed the powder warf was almost unfishable, in the straight. And Hoochie, I had a similar issue with one of the traps. I found out I can almost pull hard enough to submerge my little double eagle without budging the trap off bottom haha.

Also, is there a regulation about these guys who use clear milk jugs and garbage to float their crab trap lines? Am I legal to pull the damn things and throw them on shore? My apologies the alberta red neck comes through pretty strong at times ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Posted this in another thread but new reg in effect for Sidney tomorrow

Effective 00:01 hrs May 05, 2011 until 23:59 hrs July 15, 2011 the daily limit is two (2) chinook salmon per
day of which only one (1) chinook may be greater than 67 cm. The minimum size limit in these areas is 62cm.

Might need a micrometer to measure that slot size....WTF!!!

Anybody here about all the traps submerged in sidney channel ? Sounds like a nightmare out there ritenow.

Was out at Sidney Spit on Sunday having a bbq and when the tide was at its peak there were dozens of crab pot floats drifting down the beach.

We couldn't stop joking about how people are trolling for crab nowadays.

We had 8 lbs of lead in our traps and they weren't moving.

Damn 62 to 67cm's, that is a bit tight of a measurement! I take it these are the fraser river spawners coming through? The ones that the natives are crying over that we sportsman are taking advantage of? hahaha... Im not even going there, as I watched how they act in Port Alberni and it makes me violent!

Damn 62 to 67cm's, that is a bit tight of a measurement! I take it these are the fraser river spawners coming through? The ones that the natives are crying over that we sportsman are taking advantage of? hahaha... Im not even going there, as I watched how they act in Port Alberni and it makes me violent!

Stange they waited till after the Derby timming is everything at least the natives didn't get them. Maybe bananas is on to something after all they need the derby money to run the hatchery program.Sad state of affairs when all the dough
we pay (taxes,fees ,lic etc) go into general revenue & not our fishery.

Back