Where to Halibut fish around Sidney and a question on anchor setup?

I used to fish halibut occasionally in that area. Best spot for me was to anchor on that 156’ pinnacle near the bottom of your picture. With the anchor fully out the current had my boat in around 350’ of water. Anchoring can be dangerous but if you use your head it isn’t bad. You need to know the currents and watch your ball and your rods closely and you’ll see when the current starts to pick up. The water will start moving quicker around your Scotsman and your lines will start to blow out a bit. When that happens it’s time to go. Sometimes you only get a couple hours on the hook in those areas. Last time I was there I was solo and was just dropping my second rod when the first one took off. I grabbed it and reeled up the biggest skate I’ve ever seen. I got it to the boat and while dealing with it the other rod took off and it was a 40 lb halibut. I tie my halibut stuff with 2 hooks and a giant glow hootchie and use either a full salmon head or if it’s from a really big fish ill cut it in half. On the second hook I usually run one of those plastic white scented baits that have a little tail on them. Unless things have changed, trailering to Peddar bay and fishing the flats out there is probably going to up your chances a lot.

I will try my best here to explain the best and safest way that I use to anchor.
Very similar to what David does except I use two rings to add some additional slack to between the boat and anchor. Large unexpected swells have sunk boats so I like to add a second ring to the line by putting the line through the ring and back over itself about 40 ft before the end of the rope with the scotsman buoy ring in front this allows you to remain 40 ft away from a direct tether to bottom. It also allows you to unhook from anchor and return either later to keep fishing or if condition turns unsafe you can pull anchor when safe and not lose your anchor setup.

To drop anchor stop your boat and allow yourself to drift and determine you drift direction then motor back past where you want to target to fish and drop anchor in a slow controlled reverse to ensure your anchor rope stays safe and travels to the bow.

When bringing in anchor go a bit wide making a semi circle past your buoy. You dont need a ton of speed 7 knots or so would be lots, the buoy will bob and dive under the water when your anchor is at the top don't stop immediately as you need your chain to pass through the ring completely to ensure you anchor doesn't fall back to bottom. You will be able to retrieve your rope easily if done properly.

Two things to note I run my rope from stern to bow on the starboard side as it is easier to see and also have and anchor where you can have a zip tie to the chain like in this video @ 1:20 but instead of string I use a 50lb zip tie keep a dozen or so onboard this will ensure you don't ever get stuck on bottom.

Good luck if anything is unclear feel free to drop me a note.

Mike

As for halibut fishing in big current .....fish the slacks try and set an hour before slack. Often fish will move in but not actively feed until the current slows down. Also don't be afraid to throw a heavy jig down as sometimes that's the bit of extra encouragement halis need to bite.

Back