Shovel Nose Louie

Don't think so. My brother lost one last night in the rod holders chair on the 602 shovel repaint and I lost one tonight on the pear pink shovel repaint on the rowers rod. Each of these Louie shovels have hooked 4 fish in the pool this season but only 3 fish boated. Not a great average. Thinking about changing the hooks, but that might change the action. But that's fishing

Last edited:
Finally towed one of the replicated wood Lucky Louie Chinook plugs with the deep face beside a plastic shovelnose. This one was glow pearl pink and produced similar action to the shovel but at slack tide did require more speed to work. I can certainly see why it produces fish for the rowers.
here are 3 plugs, 2 on left are vintage hand carved, I fairly shovel like and 6'' chinook? with deep scoop. harness is unusual. neat old naturl spoon, no info on that.IMG_1940.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_1939.JPG
    IMG_1939.JPG
    499.9 KB · Views: 69
  • IMG_1942.JPG
    IMG_1942.JPG
    494.6 KB · Views: 67
  • IMG_1941.JPG
    IMG_1941.JPG
    445.9 KB · Views: 69
Hey Rockfisher,I think the large plug with the king lead ring attached to it might be a Sea King Plug.
no, I have a Sea King and has a very different hook hard ware. this has the pipe that a wood Louie has but a gaff set up instead with a pin keeping rear double hook in place. not sure if it is a custom rig or not. I will post a better pic. as for selling pm me with what you are looking for and we'll see.

no, I have a Sea King and has a very different hook hard ware. this has the pipe that a wood Louie has but a gaff set up instead with a pin keeping rear double hook in place. not sure if it is a custom rig or not. I will post a better pic. as for selling pm me with what you are looking for and we'll see.
better pics.IMG_1943.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_1944.JPG
    IMG_1944.JPG
    440.3 KB · Views: 13
FF68974F-B75D-46D3-AD7E-8C3BC05743C4.jpeg 71E1981B-09EB-46B0-882C-53771D54606F.jpeg B65F62B6-9E44-4A5A-8ED5-5B2031F62E92.jpeg Yeah the commercial Sea Kings came with the large double hooks.I am not sure what the sporty models came with for rigging. I have a few with pins in the tail like yours but also not sure if they where factory or add on later.

That plug rigging would definitely keep the pool and fishing line clean from all the seaweed and crap for your fellow anglers.
it is beefy I admit, came from a doctors tackle box, included 2 scalpels so he was indeed a serious operator . I wonder who made the plugs for Lipsett, possibly Minser?

I have never fished a Sea King. With all those shovels getting towed around in the pool making the fish dizzy,you would think the KING would ring the bell.

Yeah not sure where they picked up their blanks. Maybe they where made with in. The drilled holes appear to be decent and fairly lined up to the body line of the plugs like Louie’s. We know that Lyman didn’t make any of the blanks or drill any of the holes.Their quality control person was high on paint fumes from the looks some of their product.

I have never fished a Sea King. With all those shovels getting towed around in the pool making the fish dizzy,you would think the KING would ring the bell.

Yeah not sure where they picked up their blanks. Maybe they where made with in. The drilled holes appear to be decent and fairly lined up to the body line of the plugs like Louie’s. We know that Lyman didn’t make any of the blanks or drill any of the holes.Their quality control person was high on paint fumes from the looks some of their product.
Sea Kings are nice, The smaller one is a SeaKing shovel nose and the larger one is a standard SeaKing. I would be interested in both if you are selling ?

Greg

Very Interested in a bidding war with CRGregf

Very Interested in a bidding war with CRGregf
not sure if you are talking about my lure or not but I would like to fish the Tyee pool and I have 3 plugs that are shovel like and only 2 that I would fish. If I fished my Sea King obviously I would have to change the set up. what hook set up are other people using with their wood plugs and what weight?

not sure if you are talking about my lure or not but I would like to fish the Tyee pool and I have 3 plugs that are shovel like and only 2 that I would fish. If I fished my Sea King obviously I would have to change the set up. what hook set up are other people using with their wood plugs and what weight?
I use 6/0 hook with the normal beadchain harness with my 6' wood sea king.

I found this deep faced plug that I hadIMG_1947.JPG tucked away, glass eyes, not sure what company made it. also some old time flashers, a silver dimpled Gibbs 1/0, a brass dimpled Tom Mack #3 and a nice brass Allied #2 w/leaping salmon logo.

Attachments

• IMG_1948.JPG
    IMG_1948.JPG
    719.8 KB · Views: 8
Did these come out of the Doctors box too. When you get time can you take a couple more shots of the belly and face. Looks like the face has been re-painted and curious to see what the hardware looks like on the belly and where line attaches.

Did these come out of the Doctors box too. When you get time can you take a couple more shots of the belly and face. Looks like the face has been re-painted and curious to see what the hardware looks like on the belly and where line attaches.
no, was not from doctor's box, face is repainted. hook attachment is screwed in, not through to face. there is a pin in end of plug. will post more pics.

better pictures of plug and some things that are from the Doc's box, he kept a lot of loose lures in these Lilly snap boxes including scalpels. good enough for humans, equally so for fish....still very sharp!IMG_1952.JPG IMG_1953.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_1954.JPG
    IMG_1954.JPG
    833.3 KB · Views: 37
  • IMG_1955.JPG
    IMG_1955.JPG
    614.8 KB · Views: 36
Back