Shovel Nose Louie

looking at the stubbie, same length and width but the scoop is way deeper on the wood louie and deeper and wider that any plug I have. the question is would that give it the same action as a shovel? I assume some have both plugs and might have direct knowledge.
There were wood Louie's that had deeper faces and were known to fish well at slower speed, such as from a row boat, but the Louie Shovelnose was only made in plastic. At least one of the wood deep face Louie's had a very similar look to the plastic shovelnose and I expect it would produce similar action. There is a private carver replicating this old wood classic. I have had 12 of these made for rowing in the Tyee Pool but I am yet to tow one to compare. I do know a rower who caught his first tyee in the pool last year, towing one of these replicated wood plugs.

There were wood Louie's that had deeper faces and were known to fish well at slower speed, such as from a row boat, but the Louie Shovelnose was only made in plastic. At least one of the wood deep face Louie's had a very similar look to the plastic shovelnose and I expect it would produce similar action. There is a private carver replicating this old wood classic. I have had 12 of these made for rowing in the Tyee Pool but I am yet to tow one to compare. I do know a rower who caught his first tyee in the pool last year, towing one of these replicated wood plugs.

that is cool Brucel, I love the wood plugs and I have trolled up north for char with flatfish and t50's. getting the speed right to get the most action was essential.
fishing the Tyee pool is on my bucket list. I love rowing, recently rowed a mile in 1 direction to save battery life for my electric, loved it! I have an Ungava
with a nice set of vintage oars, not clubs like they have in most stores. would like to take that setup to the pool. i'm pretty good w/wood so who knows
might try carving too.

that is cool Brucel, I love the wood plugs and I have trolled up north for char with flatfish and t50's. getting the speed right to get the most action was essential.
fishing the Tyee pool is on my bucket list. I love rowing, recently rowed a mile in 1 direction to save battery life for my electric, loved it! I have an Ungava
with a nice set of vintage oars, not clubs like they have in most stores. would like to take that setup to the pool. i'm pretty good w/wood so who knows
might try carving too.
The shovel strikes again. I sat in the rod holders chair tonight for the first time in my own boat. My friend Shane R was rowing for the first time and we boated a nice 24lb chrome Chinook. Tonight it was a Tomic repaint in Pearl Pink that stole the action. Thank you Mr. Minser, where ever you are in the big tyee pool in the sky.

Last edited:
I have quite a few Tomics, but no shoveheads, never seen one in the flesh. I do have this beauty that I forgot about.....shovelish?

Attachments

• IMG_1895.JPG
    IMG_1895.JPG
    529.8 KB · Views: 77
  • IMG_1896.JPG
    IMG_1896.JPG
    284.3 KB · Views: 75
  • IMG_1897.JPG
    IMG_1897.JPG
    315.5 KB · Views: 76
I honestly don't know. it came in a wooden tackle box (hand made) with a leather strap w/very few lures, that and a Big Butch in the box.
had for a fair number of years. unsure if professionally made or handmade, if handmade someone did a bang up job as proportion's
are perfect. I wonder how it would fish?

I honestly don't know. it came in a wooden tackle box (hand made) with a leather strap w/very few lures, that and a Big Butch in the box.
had for a fair number of years. unsure if professionally made or handmade, if handmade someone did a bang up job as proportion's
are perfect. I wonder how it would fish?
Hard to know until you try. I will try to post some pictures of a wood replicate of an old wood Louie with a face that is quite similar to a shovelnose along with the Louie plug it is based on. This one is in glow Pearl Pink.

Attachments

• IMG_1721.JPG
    IMG_1721.JPG
    79.5 KB · Views: 143
  • IMG_1722.JPG
    IMG_1722.JPG
    77.1 KB · Views: 132
  • IMG_1723.JPG
    IMG_1723.JPG
    68.6 KB · Views: 129
  • IMG_1724.JPG
    IMG_1724.JPG
    73.2 KB · Views: 130
  • IMG_1725.JPG
    IMG_1725.JPG
    67.1 KB · Views: 135
  • 41944162_1736020143175849_1551673312113852416_n.jpg
    41944162_1736020143175849_1551673312113852416_n.jpg
    176.1 KB · Views: 133
  • 42058965_1736019883175875_4374998325024260096_n.jpg
    42058965_1736019883175875_4374998325024260096_n.jpg
    108.7 KB · Views: 144
Hard to know until you try. I will try to post some pictures of a wood replicate of an old wood Louie with a face that is quite similar to a shovelnose along with the Louie plug it is based on. This one is in glow Pearl Pink.
Here are the two Louie shovels raising havoc right now. Tomic repaints of the 1949-52 plastic shovelnose in Pearl Pink and 602 (glow colours).

Attachments

• IMG_0223.JPG
    IMG_0223.JPG
    94.4 KB · Views: 161
  • IMG_0224.JPG
    IMG_0224.JPG
    110.2 KB · Views: 163
There is an incredible Old vintage tackle shop in LaConner Washington called Plug something??
Incredible ol stuff. Some in absolutely new conditions. But man they are priced like it too.
Picked up a few old reels for a friends retirement soon.
If your looking for something specific the old timer running it may have it. Thousands of plugs and over 800 reels of various types.

There is an incredible Old vintage tackle shop in LaConner Washington called Plug something??
Incredible ol stuff. Some in absolutely new conditions. But man they are priced like it too.
If your looking for something specific the old timer running it may have it. Thousands of plugs and over 800 reels of various types.

Plug Ugly? there used to be a vintage store in la Connor that I visited years and years ago and it was expensive then. I bought 1 item, cheapest thing he had still have it. thought he died though. as regarding carving my own plug I think I could do the body but the face would be difficult. already have the yellow cedar.

Plug Ugly is the place. John Peterson owns it , still around, still expensive...

might try carving too.
Tell me when you want to come.

Finally towed one of the replicated wood Lucky Louie Chinook plugs with the deep face beside a plastic shovelnose. This one was glow pearl pink and produced similar action to the shovel but at slack tide did require more speed to work. I can certainly see why it produces fish for the rowers.

Back