Shovel Nose Louie

When looking at pictures, the quickest way to tell if its a shovel or a wee is the shape of the tail. Wee Louies come to a "sharp" point while shovels have blunt rounded off tail.

If the box belongs to a shovelnose, will it always say Seattle on the box?

Yes, the moulds were lost sometime before the move from Seattle to Chinook . The company that did the plastic work moved from Seattle to Puerto Rico and that was the end of the shovels. Jim Maxwell who owned Grizzly Tackle had the foresight to sit down with Bill Minser and interview and record the history of the company when they bought it from him.

I know a collector selling off his collection. Pearl pink, excellent condition by itself, $150.00. He has about 13 shovels left. I am attaching a photo of what I have, including what you are looking for, but my interest is different, in that I am trying to keep them fishing rather than in a display case. I have picked up three more since this photo was taken, including two pearl pink and one red eye.

Attachments

• IMG_0228.JPG
    IMG_0228.JPG
    128 KB · Views: 220
Last edited:
Should have followed my own advice and launched early to get the bugs out of the system. Launched tonight but my Yam has a problem staying in gear and the mechanic cannot come to Sunday. Anyone need a rod holder.

I have a ton of old paperwork and binders of info from some of the "old guard" plug collectors that I was fortunate enough to have been given over the years. The link below is to a very good book by Russel Christianson which has a good portion of Jim Maxwells interview with Minser in it. Well worth the price of admission.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=images&cd=&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=2ahUKEwjdiuWTgobjAhWnsVQKHUVNBPwQjhx6BAgBEAM&url=http://fishinghistory.blogspot.com/2016/04/review-west-coast-vintage-salmon-lures.html&psig=AOvVaw2o1v58gtGSuYp_POz6KTaW&ust=1561599637600334
Just picked up a couple more shovels in excellent plus condition with matching Seattle Boxes. Makes 16 now.

Beautiful and still effective. Lost one tonight on a (Tomic repaint) pearl pink shovel. Unfortunately, hit on the rowers rod in the holder, which is always a bit problematic in getting to it in time to strike the fish and set the hook. Was on for about 10 seconds. Saw one other fish weighed tonight at 27 lbs.

Beautiful and still effective. Lost one tonight on a (Tomic repaint) pearl pink shovel. Unfortunately, hit on the rowers rod in the holder, which is always a bit problematic in getting to it in time to strike the fish and set the hook. Was on for about 10 seconds. Saw one other fish weighed tonight at 27 lbs.
Did the rower continue to row? Wouldn't that set the hook for you?

Did the rower continue to row? Wouldn't that set the hook for you?
In this case yes. As the theory goes, if the rower puts a couple big strokes into it when the fish hits that might set the hook, but there are a lot of variables involved including speed; are you going with the current or against it; angle the fish hits from, etc. The bottom line is that if you are not holding the rod to feel the first change in action and strike in that second, your odds are lower of a good hook. The rower must also be continuously twisting around to check for other boats and avoiding potential collisions and may not see the hit precisely when it happens.

In this case yes. As the theory goes, if the rower puts a couple big strokes into it when the fish hits that might set the hook, but there are a lot of variables involved including speed; are you going with the current or against it; angle the fish hits from, etc. The bottom line is that if you are not holding the rod to feel the first change in action and strike in that second, your odds are lower of a good hook. The rower must also be continuously twisting around to check for other boats and avoiding potential collisions and may not see the hit precisely when it happens.
Really, whether the fish is well hooked is largely up to the fish.

The shovel delivers! My guest boated a 24 and later hooked a big fish this evening but unfortunately shook the hook as we rowed out of the pool. One more tyee on the board tonight. Fish starting to roll in the pool. Time to weather the conditions. The fish are here.
shovel or not, wood louie next to stubbie (I think) both 51/4.

Attachments

• IMG_1888.JPG
    IMG_1888.JPG
    456.2 KB · Views: 57
If wood, it will not be a shovelnose. The stubby was 5 1/4 long but was not a shovel. Still nice and the collectors like them.
looking at the stubbie, same length and width but the scoop is way deeper on the wood louie and deeper and wider that any plug I have. the question is would that give it the same action as a shovel? I assume some have both plugs and might have direct knowledge.

Back