Shovel Nose Louie

Working on the bamboo rods, I have a couple to restore.

I like the wood frame net idea. Laminated local maple and spruce perhaps.
Bamboo is a grass, not a wood. Been looking for a nice condition Montague bamboo trolling rod but all I've found so far is junk...

Bamboo is a grass, not a wood. Been looking for a nice condition Montague bamboo trolling rod but all I've found so far is junk...

Yea I also am on the lookout for a nice bamboo rod. I have three now, one is a Calcutta built, on a cane, sort of crude but a very strong rod. Way back in my youth in Florida we used Calcutta to build heavy shark rods. An amazing material in its raw state.

I will start a new topic on the rebuild of the Calcutta rod, it was interesting. Cord wrapped handle, Turks head knots, a new old stock "retro" Varmac reel seat, and an old pre World War II Penn reel.

There are two decent looking Montague rods on Facebook marketplace out of Sechelt right now ? lister is a Jim McLeod..

Nothing to me, but they look like decent rods

CRGreg

There are two decent looking Montague rods on Facebook marketplace out of Sechelt right now ? lister is a Jim McLeod..

Nothing to me, but they look like decent rods

CRGreg
could you post a link oplease---my facebook marketplace only goes out to 100 miles from me.

also check out Rainbow Alley rods on Quadra Island. George has built a few split cane Tyee rods in my collection and they are fantastic ! Expensive... but works of art

Greg

also check out Rainbow Alley rods on Quadra Island. George has built a few split cane Tyee rods in my collection and they are fantastic ! Expensive... but works of art

Greg
George is taking time off for family, I did not see any rods, just rod-building supplies on his site. Would love to see a couple pics of your cane tyee rods!!!

Yes, the moulds were lost sometime before the move from Seattle to Chinook . The company that did the plastic work moved from Seattle to Puerto Rico and that was the end of the shovels. Jim Maxwell who owned Grizzly Tackle had the foresight to sit down with Bill Minser and interview and record the history of the company when they bought it from him.
Where does the Louie blue box, without any city printed on it, fit in. The one I have is otherwise identical to the Seattle or Chinook marked box.

Where does the Louie blue box, without any city printed on it, fit in. The one I have is otherwise identical to the Seattle or Chinook marked box.

Those boxes with no address were used after Minser left Chinook Washington. That box was used for Sequim , Port Angeles, Seaside And Warrenton Oregon. Those were the last boxes before Grizzly bought them in the mid to late 70's

Those boxes with no address were used after Minser left Chinook Washington. That box was used for Sequim , Port Angeles, Seaside And Warrenton Oregon. Those were the last boxes before Grizzly bought them in the mid to late 70's
Thanks.

Nice. Pic's not clear. Does the box say Wee Louie? How long are they?

Both plugs are 4.75 inches long and both boxes say Wee Louie on the end of them where pictured. I was not sure if these were the Shovel Nose or not, but it was cool to find them in their boxes.

Back