Shipping/Transporting a Boat from the Eastern USA

These guys were amazing http://www.rvtransportservice.com/Home_Page.php
brought my new 27ft boat on a trailer from Gainsville Florida across the border for $4400.00. (3600 miles) All permits and insurance for all states traveled, used Pacific Border Brokers (open 24/7) at the truck crossing, so no matter when your boat gets there it can come across....all paper work done etc etc, don't forget a no-recall notice for the trailer or entry will be denied

Great info guys! Thanks for the contributions. I love this site!

I like it,
I love it,
I want some more of it!

Excellant advice on shipping. Many of my clients brought boats up from the states, as the price of repos, and sell offs make it very attactive. I can also recommend that you obtain a copy of the truckers "Motor Cargo Policy" which means that your boat, their cargo, will be insured by their insurance company. This will help separate the legitamate boat movers from the guys with a truck looking to pick up some extra bucks.

I also insure the vessels from the point of purchase, all the way to BC, and would only insure it to include the boat movers who have a Motor Cargo Policy. This is required by the insurance company. More details about the insurance for this? contact me (Kerry) at 1-800-663-0676 for BC residents. I work at Coronation Insurance, where we have several insurance companies to use, depending on the situation, and the particular vessel... Happy boating!!

quote:Originally posted by Boat Insurance Guy

Excellant advice on shipping. Many of my clients brought boats up from the states, as the price of repos, and sell offs make it very attactive. I can also recommend that you obtain a copy of the truckers "Motor Cargo Policy" which means that your boat, their cargo, will be insured by their insurance company. This will help separate the legitamate boat movers from the guys with a truck looking to pick up some extra bucks.

I also insure the vessels from the point of purchase, all the way to BC, and would only insure it to include the boat movers who have a Motor Cargo Policy. This is required by the insurance company. More details about the insurance for this? contact me (Kerry) at 1-800-663-0676 for BC residents. I work at Coronation Insurance, where we have several insurance companies to use, depending on the situation, and the particular vessel... Happy boating!!

Don't you have to be a US resident to purchase insurance for a vessel in the US? I think we had to get our insurance through the shipping company. I also got a copy of the policy and called their broker to see if in fact the insurance was valid and the claims history before we hired the guy who bid on our UShip request for quote.

As far as the whole UShip experience I would highly recommend it. As Charlie suggested however do your homework on the guy moving your vessel, and make darn sure they have insurance and are reputable.

We have purchased 2 boats and trailers from the East Coast of the US and both are great boats and the price was unbeatable.

Searun

th_067.jpg

I just brought this boat up from Florida last month, I used Uship and it was great, I paid $4000 Canadian from Fort lauderdale to Bellingham, this shipper had my boat and trailer on his Trailer, some of these guys just pull your trailer. The guy I used was great, he was rated Platinum on Uship, I would highly recommend him to anyone doing this.

New to me boat.
391838548.jpg

As searun,fogducker and others mentioned "U-Ship" is not a shipping company. They put shippers and those needing shipping together. There are some serious sharks on U-Ship ,as well as some great guys.A friend of mine got seriously burned by a well rated shipper on U-Ship , he usually goes by Kodiak but has a few other aliases.

If you have a good experience with a shipper on U-Ship please share his name and contact info please!

beemer

Don't you have to be a US resident to purchase insurance for a vessel in the US? I think we had to get our insurance through the shipping company. I also got a copy of the policy and called their broker to see if in fact the insurance was valid and the claims history before we hired the guy who bid on our UShip request for quote.

As far as the whole UShip experience I would highly recommend it. As Charlie suggested however do your homework on the guy moving your vessel, and make darn sure they have insurance and are reputable.

We have purchased 2 boats and trailers from the East Coast of the US and both are great boats and the price was unbeatable.

Searun

th_067.jpg

[/quote]

Searun, I have 4 companies to insure your boat for the whole year, that we add transit coverage to. (1)If within 1000 kms from your home, there is no added cost, permission is granted to you to bring your own new boat back. (2) if farther, then you may pay a little extra for the transit coverage. (3) If you have a company from Uship
then other companies require a Motor Cargo policy copy from the Trucker, then would give a backup transit coverage on top of your regular annual policy.

The Motor Truck Cargo policy is an annual policy that the truckers get, as they are professional. If they require you to pay for the transit insurance coverage, find another trucker. I had a client like Sea Morgan, who was referred from the boat dealer in Florida to use a guy who did the trailer on trailer delivery. More security and safety from stone chips, regardless of how well they are wrapped, which the better truckers will help arrange.

I recently purchased and shipped a 23' boat with motor on bracket sitting on a trailer from Florida, and I found the UShip guys who tow behind their rig to have a competetive price. I also had some quotes from truckers on UShip who would put the boat and trailer on their flatbed, but the price was 60-70% higher. I went with someone I used before out of Marysville, WA by the name of Smokey Point Distributing, and I had the boat shipped on the bed of a flatbed at a great price. Dan, advised me if I wanted to wait for him to find a heavy and dense load (ie. steel) that would compliment the light weight of a boat, that the shipping price would be significanly less. I have used Smokey Pointe Distributing twice now and would not hesitate. good luck. DAJ

Back