Shimano Mooching Reel Drag Replacement

saanauk

Well with half a dozen Shimano mooching reels I finally got tired of the drags not working well.

So I orders carbon fiber washers from
http://smoothdrag.com-u.us/

Each set cost $6.50 USD and the shipping is inexpensive in the states. Not sure about the cost to Canada. I also used Cals light weight drag grease.

The new drags are a huge improvement and allow for only about 1 full turn for the drag from loose to mostly full drag. Before the upgrade some of the reels needed 5-6 turns to get full drag and a couple would never tighten up at all no matter what I did.

Smooth drag did have some confusion on the different styles from the older red drag knob ones to the newer gold style with stainless ring on the spool. I sent them photos and descriptions on both so hopefully the will get their info corrected.
Both reel styles are called Moocher Plus with 1000GT, 2000GT, 4000GT being the size.

Not sure why I waited so long to do this. Six reels all changed out and lubed up in about an hour.

Thanks for this, I might do the same with mine. I see on their price list they list all the moochers on the same line, but are they different washers for the 2000 and 4000?
T2

I have a couple that you have to push in on the drag knob as you turn to get the drag to tighten. Does that happen to yours ever? It's kind of annoying. I've never maintained them though because I don't use them often and I've only had them a couple years. Maybe time to give them some TLC.

Do you have the problem with the drag tightening when you are feeling in a good fish? I seem to have that happen with those reels.

Thanks for this, I might do the same with mine. I see on their price list they list all the moochers on the same line, but are they different washers for the 2000 and 4000?
T2
The washers are the same for different sizes 2000, 4000. They are different between the older style and newer style.

One important thing to note when using Cal's drag grease-rub it on good and then use a paper towel to wipe it off so there's just a trace-too much is no good.

Also if you have other reels that could use a drag upgrade Do It-smoothdrag washers are inexpensive, easy to install, and results are amazing.

Back