Mooching reel

Claymaker

Looking at my first mooching reel and dont want to break the bank.

Daiwa M-One UTD 400 Mooching Reel vs​

Shimano Moocher Plus 4000GT​

What would be my best route and why?

If you're looking for new it doesn't matter, but Daiwa should be a bit cheaper. Sometimes used come available, in that case the Shimano would be my choice. I have about 4 Daiwas and 2 Shimanos.

The Shimano has been more reliable for me then the Daiwa reels, which have busted way too early for my liking.

The Shimano has been more reliable for me then the Daiwa reels, which have busted way too early for my liking.
Same for me, the Daiwa reels havn't held up. The drag knobs stripped out on the ones I had. The Shimanos have been trouble free.

I just set my tension once, then use the free wheel switch on the back and thumb the reel when setting my gear.

I have the old Diawa M1 gold reels and they have never let me down. Been using them for about 13 years now. My cousin bought the shimano and had major problems with drag and line creep, also the free spool switch would get flipped too easily, usually while fighting a fish which would result in disaster. I ended up replacing the drag washer with carbon and removing the freespool switch all together. now it works ok, but not as good as my diawa's

Looking at my first mooching reel and dont want to break the bank.

Daiwa M-One UTD 400 Mooching Reel vs​

Shimano Moocher Plus 4000GT​

What would be my best route and why?
I remember back in the day when I switched from a Peetz to a Moocher 2000. It was the reel to have. The one way drag system was the greatest thing ever lol. The fact that they still make them says a lot.

This might not be helpful...more a little rant/story....
I had a Daiwa M1 last year. Could not find a Shimano for the life of me. But I thought what the heck. The first one I had fell in the river. Never got used. Then the one from last year stripped the drag knob on the first fishing trip. I was bummed out to say the least. It really felt nice. It had no line creep....which just from a point perspective, my buddies Islanders all do. So I was stoked to use it....anyway, I took it back to the shop, and swapped it out and added some extra money for a Re3f. We will see how it lasts....

Bottom.line, I haven't had any luck with the Daiwas. Might just be bad luck. If I were to try again, I would buy a Shimano....just to see. There are lots around now and the price is right.

Shout out to Hatchmatchr for doing right by me and taking the reel back.

Seems to me if your going to use a "Mooching" reel for "Trolling" your going to have to expect some line creep. I have tried a couple of the intermediate priced reels and have not been impressed. I have been told by a couple of experienced fishers that your better of buying a used Shimano 2/4000 for $30 and save up for an Islander.

Back