Who else bought too much stuff this off season?

wdlfbio

So, my new cat is all but done (tweaking motor placement and prop pitch) and we are up to 3 cats among friends in our marina (Westport, WA). That means that with dividing crew 3 ways, we all lost rods, reels, and terminal gear. So, I went shopping this off season. Yowtch. I added 3 slow pitch setups. Daiwa Lexa TW400 reels are 12.2 ounces and have 24# of drag, 43” per crank, and easily hold 300 yards of 30# JBraid.

2AA07712-E624-439C-8320-0847416F2302.jpegED70DD08-9660-4085-BC73-12EF5BF26EA2.jpeg

I also grabbed a Daiwa Saltist 4000 (17# drag) and 4500 (22# drag) for vertical speed jigging (already had Thrasher and Shimano Trevala rods I liked). I’ll be putting 30# on the 4000 and 40# on the 4500. These will be for very aggressive jigging and heavy drags for really trying to break the spirit of albacore and see how quickly we can land them. :).
F809D96B-EEFD-45BF-8079-787653381D34.jpeg

Also bought 40# of new jigs and assist hooks. 80-500 gram jigs.
B13058DA-EF15-4412-A76B-7F85899DDA60.jpeg3E97D41C-1B94-461B-9EA8-2C2D96267A9C.jpeg

Oh yeah. I picked up a couple Daiwa Northcoast downrigger rods because I don’t really have much in the way of salmon stuff (not really my forte). Not sure about reels yet. Might just use the Lexas.

Oh man! You must be itching to get out. That selection of jigs is insane. Where did you get them?

I had big dreams of hitting the west coast this weekend but instead of 20+ jigs I had 20+ 6 year olds and their parents over for a birthday. When does halibut and ling cod start down south? I am going to be getting out a bit in May.

Just the one 2 speed slow pitch setup I bought last august and a couple jigs from a guy in my Neighbourhood who makes them in his garage. He didn’t have SP style ones then but I’ll see if he got any molds.

May 4 is our first trip. Deep water halibut, lings, and rockfish. Fair bit of dead bait and live flounder, but we also like dropping slow pitch jigs.

My buddy has an overseas connection for jigs.

It’s like most vertical jigging, but much slower, and then slower than that. The action is all on the fall. The forward section of the rod is extremely parabolic, so it doesn’t yank the jig upward. Just a slow up, wiggle, flutter, or shoot out on the fall. The jigs don’t work as designed when scoped out. Lighter lines so we can go deep and stay vertical.

Lots of different shapes to get different actions (and catch different buyers Hahaaha).

It’s like most vertical jigging, but much slower, and then slower than that. The action is all on the fall. The forward section of the rod is extremely parabolic, so it doesn’t yank the jig upward. Just a slow up, wiggle, flutter, or shoot out on the fall. The jigs don’t work as designed when scoped out. Lighter lines so we can go deep and stay vertical.

Lots of different shapes to get different actions (and catch different buyers Hahaaha).
Yeah surprised Canadian shops aren’t pushing them, nothing like selling a few more thousand in rods and lures to existing customers! Chatted w Trotac and Island Outfitters and they had no interest at the time.

Share your connection w me!

Yeah surprised Canadian shops aren’t pushing them, nothing like selling a few more thousand in rods and lures to existing customers! Chatted w Trotac and Island Outfitters and they had no interest at the time.

Share your connection w me!
I’ve never done it but is definitely something I want to get into- I just bought some jigs and all the components for assist hooks from PecheSUD (just a drop in the bucket compared to the OP). Peter was super helpful/responsive and answered all my questions and others here have recommended him. Haven’t got them yet so can’t comment on quality though I am optimistic. His pricing seemed good though it adds up quick! He also has a a sister site with fair amount of how to info and some vids (https://www.webpeche.owally.com/jigging_technique/jigging_technics.html).

May 4 is our first trip. Deep water halibut, lings, and rockfish. Fair bit of dead bait and live flounder, but we also like dropping slow pitch jigs.

My buddy has an overseas connection for jigs.
I’ll be eager to hear an update on this, and looking for any advice in advance to my June trip to the outside. I’ve got a couple 340gr Queens Candy that I’m hoping to well for deep hali and lings!

Still jealous of @wldfbio’s spread but it’s the $300 start to my slow jigging box… can’t wait to get them wet (I also need the hook up for cheaper jigs).

Attachments

• 27BCF794-7816-4EE1-B821-2AABEC52FBC5.jpeg
    27BCF794-7816-4EE1-B821-2AABEC52FBC5.jpeg
    580.1 KB · Views: 93
A friend who I fish with purchased a new boat, so we cleaned out the old boat of all his stuff. I took his reels and tackle boxes (3) home to tune the reels and to check out his tackle boxes and organize them. All three tackle boxes did not have much in them but one contained new spoons. All three boxes of stuff is new and easily fit into one tackle box.

I guess a few years ago he was at the store, and they told him what was working, and he purchased them all.

Attachments

• Spoons.jpg
    Spoons.jpg
    455.3 KB · Views: 120
Way too much!!!!!
I'm on a first name basis with Dane and Andrea at Harbour Chandler..... Not enough space here to list the stuff I bought.
Fishing Hole in AB had a sale on Islander Reels... Cabela's had the WCFT rods and Lure Jensen one piece halibut rods on sale... Bass Pro had a deal on Penn Reels... Rite Angle and West Coast Tackle always have something that I feel I can't do without... Then bought a new to me Boston Whaler I needed to pimp out..... need I go on.... o_O
My better half says I have problem and need to go to FTA (Fishing Tackle Anonymous ).. :eek:
I'm suppose to retire...... I think I need to get job so I'm not on the computer looking a Fishing Tackle websites...

Last edited:
I told her that it was her new halibut setup … she has horses so she can’t complain about my fishing addiction.
Hahahaha.... had a couple horses (hay burners) for a time. My youngs was into all the jumping shows and I thought my boat is expensive😂

Just did our pre season gear refresh . Ended up going to pick up some terminal tackle from PNT , ended up leaving with two new talica 12 two speeds , two new trevalas , and two new game type j slow plitch rods …. A whole lot poorer

Back