shimano 4000 drag problem

Hog Tide

i have 2 new 4000 reels,ive used twice. the drag doesnt fully tighten enouph and when i back off the drag it still has tension. has anyone had any issues with the new reels?

I have a new 4000 that I used once and the drag flew off while I was letting out line on the downrigger. I couldn't believe my eyes. I still have it sitting on my work bench looking at me..... I guess I should do something about it.

i tried to put the old style tension knob on but its completly different, it spins off. im wondering if its inside the spool that needs adjustment. to bad ive got it full of line or id be tearing it apart right now. i might have to call tyee...

I have 2 of the new 4000's, I've heard every excuse from Shimano and the place I bought them from. Neither one gets my business again. Absolute crap. Dan

dw,were you able to get different reels?
somehow these reels arnt working properly,whats up with them?
the drag isnt smooth at all.

tmit22-They replaced the spools, said there was a manufacturing problem, drag still doesn't work, eventually you realize they aren't going to do anything except flap their gums. Stupid way to treat your customers.Dan

Hey Guy's,
If I have a problem with my Shimano reels I call Wayne @ Deep Blue Sales-the Shimano rep & they have taken care of 100%.:D
Give him a call 604 581-5914 -pretty sure he'll be happy to help you out.[8D]

Yep, Shimano already had them, twice. Still NFG. Its an easy solution for me, I don't buy their product anymore, and I don't shop where I bought them. Anyone asks I tell them. Dan

quote:Originally posted by danthewire

Yep, Shimano already had them, twice. Still NFG. Its an easy solution for me, I don't buy their product anymore, and I don't shop where I bought them. Anyone asks I tell them. Dan

Yep...I can attest to that. This new "drag" system so far isn't nearly holding up to what the hype is. From what I've seen, they're screwing up faster than the old 4000GTs...going to be interesting to see what they do when an ornery 40 pounder gets on. My bet is that the palming ring is going to be needed for control when the "dartanium" drag self destructs and all heck breaks loose...

Do any of the aftermarket drag washers like those from Smooth Drag fit?I use them in my other Shimano reels and they are everything they're cracked up to be.

http://www.smoothdrag.com/

Maybe give Mike @ Mike's Reel Repair a shout and ask him if he knows of other non-dartanium units that would fit.

http://www.mikesreelrepair.com/

Or has anyone coated the dartanium with teflon grease like Alan Tani likes to?

http://alantani.com/

tyee marine is calling the shimano rep tomorrow.
i looked at the display models and the drag was still unable to tighten completly, but the sales clerk said that your not supposed to tighten them completly.
i took the drag knob apart and there is a spring thatis pressed between the nut and plastic clicker plate. the spring digs in against the plate wich seems like its going to fail in no time.
im looking forward to hearing from the store.

Tmit22, funny I was in Tyee yesterday and asked to see one of these reels to check this problem out and they wouldn't let me. I was asking about this problem and if there was a fix. Guess I should have asked to see one before I started telling them about the problems people are having. They said you hadn't been there yet. You must have come in afterwards.

Guessing I will be keeping my old 4000's

Fa
you can check my reels out anytime.
Tyre must think were up to something cause I got a bit of attitude from the sales guy when I was asking to look at the decoration reels.
They must have at least 6 of the4000s on the display rack

I wonder if you could use the drags out of the old 4000's in the new 4000's. Like is the drag its self causeing the problem. Could one put a thin washer in there to thicken up the drag.There has to be some kind of a repair or a recall coming soon. Have you called Mikes Reel repair?

Recently I was taking to Paul at Trotac about the new Shimano 4000 drag problems. He said that there were known drag problems with the early productions runs of these reels. Shimano found out about it and have since corrected the problem in later productions runs.

If anyone has a drag issue I would take it back to where you bought it and ask for a newer model replacement. Hopefully that can fix the problem.

Long live wild salmon!!!
><))))>

Just picked up a new 4000 and found the drag to feel the same as my old Daiwa m1- The only way to really snug it up is to squeeze the spool and then tighten the drag.Thats the reason why I replaced it.
Think it might be time to go back to the tried and true Peetz ,cuz i'm getting sick of all this Chinese crap!!!!

Hooch
swiftsurehaliaug07-1.jpg

Hey hoochiebob , I picked up a set of Peetz stainless reels and I love them . if they put a one way drag on them they would be perfect.

Back