SFAB Halibut Allocation Letter

Island Idiot and myself attended last nights S.F.A.B meeting as Wolf said lots of guides very few rec fishermen. IT looks real bleak guys as big brother is not listening or cares about the sports people. Left the meeting feeling like were faceing a hopeless case. FC

quote:Originally posted by chris73

Tailspin, Last Chance, Wolf, I guess we should have figured that it went too late for a subsequent outing at the Fox. But I would love to reschedule to another day. I would be very interested to har from you guys about those issues...Send me a mail if you are still up for a beer or two!
Tailspin , wolf and I hit the Red Lion for a show..[8D] Its good to get out.

I AGREE 100% with WOLF, not alot of people that recreational fish were there..a big thanks to the guys that showed up...THANKS FOR THE SUPPORT GUYS, and to the others that didn't show up...DONT WHINE LATER IF YOU DONT WANT TO HELP SUPPORT

Good point Wolf.
There were some members from this forum there but not enough. Good on those who went.
Tips Up
Frayedknot
Striper Jack
Tailspin
Wolf
Last Chance
Fah Cups
Island Idiot
*These are just the one's I saw but I do not know all of you by face.
Please note if you were there.

As Wolf said some people are lots of talk and no action. There are representatives there from DFO, SFAB and media at this meeting.
DC Reid from the Times Colonist was there.
Wouldn't it be great to see his column in the paper reading something like this...

Local Sports Fisherman show up in numbers to express their concerns and disappointment in the DFO's decisions and actions with recent halibut and salmon fishing closures and restrictions. An over whelming number of fisherman, guides and shop owners spilled out of the Esquimalt Anglers Association Club House at the last SPAB meeting...

Take the time to show up and sign in at these meetings. 45 people is not a big enough voice.

Tips

I was there too - sat right at the front line! Mer-Sea was there too. I saw Gypseas and Little Hawk too.
Nice to see Gary Cooper there as well and maybe he can say a few words on one of his shows? Someone know him personally and can talk to him?

I must say that SFAB is doing their best - and really they use the right language. However, I was disheartened to see Chris B. (chair, local SFAB) sort of admitting defeat and hinting that legal action from an independent sportfishing group may be the only way left to get DFO to change their way of slowly suffocating the recreational fishing. It was mentioned that one rich Victorian (I heard rumours it may be the owner of Oak Bay Marine Group) is gathering his lawyers for a law suit.

Damn you guys for not sharing a drink with us! Should have waited or let us know when you left! There were a bunch of us wanting to come along! Deserved your hang over! Hope it hurts! ;)

Here's whats going down for this season. For sure you will see slot areas and size restrictions for protection of upper Fraser spring salmon { same as last spring }. D.F.O has no idea when halibut will be re-opened for sports fishing as they must meet with IPHC this January 2009. As far as our 12% Tac for this upcomming saeson we may see a reduction because of our over catch on the 2008 season.THis is the good news, D.F.O may impose further cuts to our fishery @ any given time. May end bass fishing this year. Cheers FC

I second Richmake, thanks to you all for going to the meeting and standing up for the rest of us!

For salmon, I'm trying to stay hopeful -- because this time last year it looked pretty bleak, but the regs didn't turn out to be overly restrictive in the end. So fingers crossed.

Halibut...that's sounds like a political mess, dog's breakfast, so who knows? Last year looked bleak, and it turned out ok regs-wise, but this year's overquota closure is a bad new development. I think you're right, it'll be more restrictive this year, to bring it under quota AND make up for last year's overage.

For recreational anglers, that might not be that significant, still probably get to go out for a few days halibut fishing in summer if you want. But for the guides, the restrictions could really hurt the shoulder seasons...for those on the margins, that could be really bad news for having a viable business.

I hope to attend one of these meetings in future, if time permits...in the meantime, thanks again to you all for representing!!!

There was too much material to cover in one meeting last night so the meeting will be continued next Tuesday Nov 25, 7:00 at the Esquimalt Anglers Club.

Here is a chance for anyone else to take a shift. More new faces and new names on the sign in sheet makes a statement.

... and then there is always the Rouge Lion after.

Tips

quote:Originally posted by Tips Up

Good point Wolf.
There were some members from this forum there but not enough. Good on those who went.
Tips Up
Frayedknot
Striper Jack
Tailspin
Wolf
Last Chance
Fah Cups
Island Idiot
*These are just the one's I saw but I do not know all of you by face.
Please note if you were there.

As Wolf said some people are lots of talk and no action. There are representatives there from DFO, SFAB and media at this meeting.
DC Reid from the Times Colonist was there.
Wouldn't it be great to see his column in the paper reading something like this...

Local Sports Fisherman show up in numbers to express their concerns and disappointment in the DFO's decisions and actions with recent halibut and salmon fishing closures and restrictions. An over whelming number of fisherman, guides and shop owners spilled out of the Esquimalt Anglers Association Club House at the last SPAB meeting...

Take the time to show up and sign in at these meetings. 45 people is not a big enough voice.

Tips

Myself and WholeInTheWater were there. We felt obligated to show some presence for the recies. It is true boys, the line has been drawn and now it is time to act! I certainly commit now to be more proactive in some way, shape or form to help save our recreational rights!!

Well like Juandeone says we rec'ies need to start doing more. I am pissed that only about 7 of us were there last night. Now is the time to start getting active.

So I would like to put my money were my mouth is. Who do I contact to find out if there is any volunteer work I can do to help out the SFAB or any other like groups and even lobbying organizations?

Sharp hooks and full traps!

I am wondering if these meetings aren't well enough advertised? I was there also, and it sounds like the majority of the attendees were from this forum - thus they all heard about it from here. I am pretty sure if I didn't read this thing every few days I would not have heard about it. Who knows how many didn't show up because they didn't even know?

Captain Dudds

quote:Originally posted by Whole in the Water

So I would like to put my money were my mouth is. Who do I contact to find out if there is any volunteer work I can do to help out the SFAB or any other like groups and even lobbying organizations?

I did some quick web surfing, but I can't immediately figure out how you contact SFAB directly. But this file shows a map of their organizational structure.
http://www-comm.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/pages/consultations/submissions/sfab_e.pdf

Looks likes the Sports Fishing Institute might be a good bet, as they appear to be in direct contact with SFAB:
http://www.sfibc.ca/

It also refers to local angling groups and BC Wildlife Federation.

Regarding advertising SFAB meeting, for sure they aren't well advertised...the average angler doesn't read these forums (and so what does that make us? Above average or other? ;)

DC Reid's column in the Vic TC and the Island Outfitters reports are the two most widely read reports I know of. Those would be good places to promote these meetings.

Is the SFAB meeting an open format (encouraging Q & A)
or a closed agenda??
Just wondering if there is any opportunity to voice opinon's
or simply listen to new regulations.

Originally posted by r.s craven

Is the SFAB meeting an open format (encouraging Q & A)
or a closed agenda??
Just wondering if there is any opportunity to voice opinon's
or simply listen to new regulations.
[/quote

I was at the meeting last night as well. There is ample opportunity to ask questions when agenda items are being discussed. It appeared that questions needed to be directed to the current discussion of an agenda item, there was not a free-for-all question period last night.

quote:Originally posted by striperjack

REDLION....might have to attend that meeting too:D
looks to me,and I'm sure a few more,just a good reason to get out with the mates,hoist many a brew,argue points that government already has in a folder but just waiting for the nut busting time to reveal.
Let me guess,NONE of you fish caring souls drove your vehicles after 'bonding', with mine and others' family members on the roads at the same time??
B.C. version of Rednecks. [B)]

OK tide hunter i was nice to you before but hear me LOUD AND CLEAR I went with the boys and had 2 beers and that was it and if you saw the size of me i would have been well under so before you fire accusations and get SS even madder chose what you say on here.

The meeting went well and everyone was frustrated at the end of it and we discussed upon ourselves in our own way.

Thank you and if I hurt your feelings so be it!!!!!!

WOLF

wolf...probably 90% odds here its just another reincarnation of our favorite trailer park boy...assuming its him, we just need to avoid response...pretty pathetic he doesn't have anything better to do than try to rattle a few cages and make a new identity each time he gets the boot...

Guys,sorry to accuse but if any of you have had a family member killed by a drunk driver,my cousin,you too would be a little more than pi**ed off when reading posts about going out after meetings to have JUST 2 beer. Not speaking of wolf because he says he had only 2,and I don't know him so i wouldn't call him a liar. As far as being the trailer guy.... :(.I'm in agreement with all,he's crazy and an idiot. Enough said,i just wanted to explain my accusing post. BUT... my views of drinking and driving will go with me to my grave.

Back