SFAB Halibut Allocation Letter

"And as for research my desk is full of papers dating back to the beginning of this when the first study said we "the sports" only need 8% but the minister increased it to 12% to accommodate future growth. Guess we should have told them what we were really catching back then.."

This statement is so true. I sat on the Halibut Advisory Board when the sports were given the 12% and it was just because we could never get them to come to meetings back then as they would never want to give us catch numbers.

Oh goody-- we now have another undercover commie with misleading statements..

If you were in fact at the IPHC meetings you know damn well that until LGL did creels on sports halis THERE WERE NO targeted halibut FIGURES TO GIVE..so dont give me this BS that
quote:they would never want to give us catch numbers.
That is garbage.... In fact the Minister was told that anything less then 20% would come back and kick us where it hurts-- like it is now.

20ft Alumaweld Intruder

quote:Originally posted by Cuba Libre

If you were in fact at the IPHC meetings you know damn well that until LGL did creels on sports halis THERE WERE NO targeted halibut FIGURES TO GIVE..so dont give me this BS that
That is garbage.... In fact the Minister was told that anything less then 20% would come back and kick us where it hurts-- like it is now.

20ft Alumaweld Intruder

Hey...you are the one who voted NDP :D:D;) hahaha

www.serengetifishingcharters.com
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PW1DUrH2H0w

Wow undercover commie... is that how you label all those that may disagree with you?

Again my point is the "GIFT" that lots of commercial rec guys write about is close to 10yrs old. Halibut quota has been bought, sold and traded since the inception of quotas because that is how government set it up. So why on earth do people feel that it is right to take it away from those that had to purchase it?

I have never tried to defend those that got the “gift”, nor would I try. Personally if there are people sitting in Hawaii while others are out trying to make a living they should lose their quota.

One more thing. If no halibut numbers were kept where does the 20% come from? Just a number pulled from the air??

Cuba Libre… I’m hoping your name came from the drink.. if that is the case then double the rum and cut back on the lime as it appears to be affecting your ability to respond in a polite and constructive manner.:D

You got that right! Try what I've been doing, and after the LYNCHING my question received will be returning to immediatly after this post...and that it to only observe and take bits and pieces from this forum because lots on here,not all,but lots can't wait to push buttons. Think before posting my freind. [V][V][V]

Some folks still seem to be missing the point: the government can change the allocation percentages anytime it wants to. The commercial folks don't and can't legally own the fish in the first place. So just because at one point the commercial side was given a certain percentage of the fish does not mean they automatically keep that allocation forever.

And there's nothing compelling (legal or otherwise) in the argument that commercial fisherman own their allocation because they're somehow fully invested in it. Look at all the money the sporties have invested, and how much they continue to shell out and for what? And look at all the tax dollars that go into managing the resource. What an absurd notion that the interests of a few commercial fishermen should for any reason ever trump the rights of the millions of ordinary Canadian taxpayers.

Remember, it's called "fishing," not "catching."

And quite frankly if you paid for a quota that was given for free to the seller it's your own risk should you loose your fictitious investment. Sounds very familiar those days, doesn't it? - remember all those worthless sub-prime mortgage fonds that were sold and sold for higher and higher prices over the years until finally somebody looked into that black box bundle and found out it's worth nothing! And I don't feel sorry for a second for those banks and investment firms that went down the drain... Same I feel about some commercial halibut fishers loosing part of their quota....

20ft Alumaweld Intruder

Great another site with internet cowboys,and I thought this one might be different. Well cuba I was at the HAB meetings and IPHC meeting where the decisions were made and had seats on the boards that made the decisions because I held one of the larger Halibut quotas on this coast. I sold out for a a very large profit. If you really want to accomplish something for the sports industry go get involved in the process and quit whining on the internet.

"Who would have ever thought it would be this much fun catching them one at a time"

Sounds good to me ill be there for both events hopefully there will be a lot of people who attend this and go!!!!!!!!!!!!!so lets all go

Wolf

Blue Wolf Charters
www.bluewolfcharters.com

Tailspin, Last Chance, Wolf, I guess we should have figured that it went too late for a subsequent outing at the Fox. But I would love to reschedule to another day. I would be very interested to har from you guys about those issues...Send me a mail if you are still up for a beer or two!

Well there were alot of positive that were brought up and there was over 50 people there which is very good last year maybe 10 showed up.

But ill go on record now to say one thing and hate me if you want the people in there are fighting so we can not only halibut fish but salmon as well there was over 30 guides there and only 7 who were rec fisherman so dont ***** when we loose what fishery we do have as there are certain people on here that want want want but when it really came down to "crunch time" where were you??????

The writing IS</u> on the wall people we are going to have major restrictions in salmon and halibut next year so be forewarned its not looking very good.

Wolf

Blue Wolf Charters
www.bluewolfcharters.com

Back