Sea Sport Explorers

Are you getting 2 foot itus:) After all the work you have done with that Ironwood......

I like your boat too.

Thanks! And no just considerations for the future. Sea Sports are wicked boats, ya never know if I won the lottery or something hah! Used they seem to be a good price point right now down south! The build quality and overall design of them equates to the perfect west-coast kind of boat!

The IW - It's actually not really 'MY' boat, but my fathers which I did all the work to, and get to fish out of it! So good deal :)

Aluminum is great but those fiberglass boats just ride so well and are built to last! The thing is, the equivalent in Aluminum for the same style of boat is probably more than twice the price for the same build/quality!

Last edited by a moderator:
Fishin'Zinn,

I've got a 2008 XL. No table in mine, 2 forward facing helm seats and jump seats on each side behind those, factory built. Mine also has the side bow rails mounted to deck instead of starting on cabin side. Only thing I don't like is the forward bunks are too short to sleep 2 people comfortably. Lower sides in stern take a bit of getting use to. I had a 24 Osprey before the SS and there is no comparison as to what boat rides better in slop. HOWEVER, the Osprey was better on the hook fishing hali

Back in the day sammyslabber. Hopefully I didn't do ya wrong! Sold the boat years ago to Codfather up in Port Hardy.

barrie, yes I remember you from my trips over to the flats;appreciated the nod & your friendly banter...good to see you're still at it...feel free to pm me;would be nice to touch bases. :)

Sea Sports are nice boats;surprised pro hasn't chimed in.

Here is a few more pics. The boat is actually a 1996. Was only trailered and never sat in water. Have had it for only a year but done lots of work to it mostly cosmetic. As for things I don't like. It is a narrow boat for the size but I think that is why it rides so nice through the chop. Had it going down wind in Sooke this years in the biggest waves I have been out in and I could keep it at about 20 knots with no water coming over the boat. Big flared bow really spreads the water. The only other thing is the engine hump. Would be nice if it was a flat deck but then you would be really high off the water. Can't have everything. Best thing is you can go anywhere and be comfortable. Fishes great. Lots of room and runs economically. Oh and every boat should have reverse windows. So much more room inside, no glare, no water on the windows and the big thing I found is you don't get the suns heat inside the boat. This was a hot summer and yet the cabin stayed cool.

Attachments

• IMG_9772 (Large).jpg
    IMG_9772 (Large).jpg
    87.8 KB · Views: 530
  • IMG_9783 (Large).jpg
    IMG_9783 (Large).jpg
    89.9 KB · Views: 532
  • IMG_9518 (Large).jpg
    IMG_9518 (Large).jpg
    90.2 KB · Views: 532
Seaports are good boats for sure. Not perfect but there is no such thing. As far as I know mine was one of the first podded Seasports up in Canada. Ordered it without power, some custom deck configuration and all the factory options I wanted. Me and Steve Nelson rigged the boat once we got it home. It's worked hard and well for me for 22 years now. Took delivery early in 1992. I've thought about moving into a new ride but those 31 and 33 Ocean Sports would keep me in debt for the rest of my life and my kids would be stuck with finishing off the payments!! I think mine cost me $55,000 back then for the boat with all the factory options, main and kicker outboards and trailer. That also included 7% duty that had to be paid back then.

{stuff clipped} I've thought about moving into a new ride but those 31 and 33 Ocean Sports would keep me in debt for the rest of my life and my kids would be stuck with finishing off the payments!! I think mine cost me $55,000 back then for the boat with all the factory options, main and kicker outboards and trailer. That also included 7% duty that had to be paid back then.
We both lust after the same boats. I think an Ocean Sport Roamer is the only thing I'd trade my boat for.

We both lust after the same boats. I think an Ocean Sport Roamer is the only thing I'd trade my boat for.

I think lots of people lust over the Roamers...myself included. Every once and awhile they come up for sale on the used market and could be had for $200k or so but that is still a ton of money. The one trade off would be that they are not that easy to trailer.

I'd like to thank TAINS for the tour of his boat and his sharing of ideas for rigging out his boat. As I leave for the Browns Bay derby and look at the weather forecast I wish I was taking his Seasport:)

I went on a brand new 30 Roamer a few weeks ago. Really really nice boat. They are priced at $375K US New with pretty much everything you need. They are up to Hull build number 103 in just 8 years or so.

I have a 24xlc Orca and while not the same boat they are similar in many respects. Mine is powered by a 225 Yammi and in a lot of circumstances it is underpowered. With 2 guys on board and a half fuel load it's fine but full gas 3 guys,ice for 3 days and water you are running at 4700 rpm for 27mph. I think an extra 25 hp might help but when and if I repower it will be with a 300 -either Suzuki or Yamaha. So is this boat underpowered? probably-depends what and how you are using it.

I saw that one as well, wondering if it would be underpowered with single 250hp ?

I have a 24xl with a Yamaha 250 and it is good 99% of the time. Granted the Explorer model is a little bit heavier but the 250 is enough power for most people. My boat only feels underpowered when I go for week long trips but we are really loaded down with 3 guys, four 165 quart coolers of ice, fifth cooler full of frozen bait, all of our camping gear, etc.

Another option would be to go to a four blade prop. It would plane easier but at the cost of a couple of MPH on the top end.

I went through that boat today just to see what the money they are asking buys. Hard to justify the extra coin ($50K) just to get a stand up head. The room in the aft is no different than my 22. That is all I wish Imhad was more room out back so that Everyone who wanted to be outside could be without being in my way and also making the boat so stern heavy that I can't steer it well. Had a look a t the Defiance line of boats. More room out aft in their 22 ft model but not nearly the same fit and finish as the Seasport. The sides of the hull seemed pretty thin in comparison too. A couple of good points is that they are a 100% composite boat ( no wood) and they have a very sharp dead rise from bow to stern. I also noticed a very large reverse chine which may somewhat defeat what would be a very soft ride at speed.

Hey Profisher, what kind of shape was the Seasport in? They are expensive but hold their value pretty well. You don't see a lot of outboards around. There's one across the border with twin 150s on it for 79,900.00 usd that's been for sale for a while but a bit high for me. I wonder what year the 250 is on this one. Lot more room on the deck without the hump though.

Back