sea sickness

Not drinking and a good night sleep is not an option for me. LOL!

I have never been full on sea sick but have been close due to the above and tying gear on the way out a couple of times.
Have had some pukers on board though so for $11 I'll pick some up.

Tips

in the US , its called Bonine, instead of bonamine, and it is in Walgreens and other drug stores out front and not behind the counter..

No one can know whether they are prone to sea sickness-I used to get sick as a dog on the navy destroyers almost all the time in the north atlantic. I flew Sea King helicopters off the back deck-only time I could eat was when I was flying. In later life I flew jets, instructed and did airshows with all that entails-never airsick-but show me a destroyer with the smell of diesel-hell I start heaving just looking at a documentary about it. Toughing it out is a poor option and if you have never seen someone who needs medical treatment for it believe me you don't want it on your trip.

That is EXACTLY right! 35 yrs ago I was a dfo technician based on the QCI. I chartered a jet ranger for a fish count on the Yakoun River in Haida Guaii . As a courtesy I invited the local fish guardian to ride along. He was a young guy, no more than 22 yrs and seems full of **** and vinegar. We started the survey at the mouth of the river, where the bends were rather civilized. As we got further up the system, the turns, dips and got more pronounced. I was hanging out the bubble window estimating spawners, when I heard the guardian croak "I'm goona be sick!". I turned around to see him filling a barf bag , white as a sheet and hyperventilating! He was in trouble! The pilot did an emergency ascent down to the beach ( I never knew the blades on a jet ranger could make so much noise on a power dive) . When we hit the beach, I jumped out and opened the back door-- The guardian literally FELL out of the chopper with the COM cord wrapped around his neck. I got him laying down on the beach in the drainage position in case he barfed again. After talking to the pilot, we decided that I would stay with the guardian while he flew back to Queen Charlotte City. In about an hour a truck arrived to pick us up. By this time the guardian was feeling a lot better. Since that time I have always taken motion sickness seriously.

The kicker was the next night when I just "happened" to go into the pub and there was the guardian expounding eloquently about all the fish he had seen!!!!!! All he had seen was the bottom of the barf bag! LOL

I use meclizine works well. Can only be bought in the states.

It's available in a pharmacy in Victoria, so must be available other places too. I got it from the compound pharmacy at Helmcken and Island Hwy.

Tips Up...the Forbes Pharmacy at the corner of Millstream and Treanor (across from the Loghouse Pub) is a compounding Pharmacy that has Meclizine. The last time my wife got some there it was $11 for 30 I believe. You should call in advance as I know they do not always have it on hand but will get it for you with a bit of notice. Their number is 250-478-1600.

On another note, I have been offshore WCVI up north etc and had never experienced sea sickness. About a year ago I went through a bout of what the Doc believes to be Vertigo and it has reared it's ugly head again in mild form just recently. I am concerned that I may have to give up ocean fishing long term and am wondering if any of you have experienced Vertigo and still manage to fish the chuck? The thought of not being able to fish the saltwater sucks!

Brian

Damn. I paid $30 for 30 at the compounding pharmacy at Helmcken and Island hwy.

Nope you can get it here, most compounding drug stores will make it up for you from the raw ingredient, just have to call ahead usually. They even make whatever size pills you want. Most of my buddies get sea sick so I always have a good supply on hand. Works out to 60 cents a pill for the 25mg. They usually take 2 of those the first evening before fishing then 1-2 each morning before heading out. It works for even the worst of the pukers with no side effects. Meclizine is exactly the same as Bonamine, at least that's what the pharmacist told me.

Last edited by a moderator:

As people have noted, can get meclizine in Canada. What you can't get is Bonine/Bonamine ... the brand name for meclizine. When they stopped selling Bonamine in Canada a few years ago, I looked into why, to make sure it wasn't a heath issue or some such ... it wasn't, just for whatever reason, they decided to stop selling it in Canada. So there you go.

And $10 for 30 pills is probably cheaper than the Bonine in the US supermarket!

Is there any problem using two at once? I have both Gravol and the Transderm patch. I thought maybe to put on the patch and take a Gravol the night before going out. Then take half a Gravol first thiung in the morning.

Daveroo

Buddy uses Meclizine and swears by it. Had real problems with the water before and has done fine since using this product.

Last edited by a moderator:
What can defeat almost all medications is heavy fog. The old 'keep an eye on the horizon' concept really works - until the fog obliterates the horizon. I was a ski instructor in a past life and would occasionally see students puking themselves silly because fog had taken away all sense of relativity. Even if the swells are moderate to flat, being offshore in heavy fog can make many people miserable. Fishing closer in so that some reference points appear is a good idea.

Meclazine available in Comox at the pharmasave beside the COOP for 53 cents ea.
Not that we need them ecvi!

bonine

I used the 25mg tabs last month at the Tofino derby, I took one the night before but I think I should have started the day before. Was a little snotty on the outside the first morning and I puked after about 1/2 hour out. about 4 hrs later I guess the drugs started to work and I was ok from then on just a little sleepy. I'm going to see if i can get a scrip for dexadrine to combat the drowsiness.
A cure that was told to me many years ago by a mariner is if you start to feel queasy eat 2 pieces of dry bread then wait 15 mins and eat half an apple. Sounds weird but it works, I had a dive charter out years ago at entrance island and a storm blew up while the divers were still down, I was on the swim grid getting them all aboard and by the time I got everyone up I just wanted to fling myself off!! I did the bread/apple thing and 30mins later I was in the galley eating clam chowder. The theory is that the bread absorbs the excess stomach acid and then the apple puts the acid back without the body making more?

Back