sea sickness

Seaspanker

Does any one remember the name of the product suggested from a long ago previous post , to get from a pharmacist , that is better than the patch or the wrist bands , for sea sickness . i will be bringing down a newbie to Bamfield this august and we just don't know how he will make out in the offshore swells . i will appreciate any suggestions . Thank you kindly.

No it doesn't and it last longer than Gravol. If I am fishing offshore, I take one tablet before bed, and one whe I get up in the morning and I am good all day in the roughest water. Without it I am a mess. Also helps with hangovers if you take it the night before. Try you'll like it.

just personal experience with Renfrew - never thrown up on gravol, the one time I tried Bonemine, I chucked (first time ever on water) (and I had fished in way worse using gravol). Just make sure you do the day ones and take one night before and when you wake up.

Sleepy is fine - you have an hour to nap on the way out, and an hour to nap on the way back!

Last edited by a moderator:
I use meclazine 25 mg in the morning and night(same as Bonamine) Get it at any US Walmart or Walgreens etc. etc. If you don't want to go to the States I also use Gravol-100mg-2 sided tablet which contains 25mg fast acting and 75 mg slow acting-can make you sleepy and very thirsty but never had a problem.

Bonamine all the way.
You are not sleepy and it does not affect your eye sight like the patch.
As others said take one the night before and again in the am.

Gravol, the ear patch and the wrist button things all DO NOT work for me.

Bonamine is the only thing I've ever taken that brought me back from being sea-sick. Normally, once you're gone, you're gone but with Bonamine, I've actually come back. However, the best thing is to take some the night before and the morning of to make sure you've got it in your bloodstream for the day.

You guys are probably aware you can't purchase Gravol down the States-Bonamine is a trade name-it is just dramamine if you want the cheap generic version-

Not sure that's right....from some googling, the drug in Bonine is meclizine. Dramamine is one brand name for the drug dimenhydrinate, which is also the active ingredient in Gravol. So Dramamine and Gravol are one family, Bonine/Meclizine are a different drug family.

Though it could be the website that's wrong, after all the Internet is more or less the infinite monkeys tapping out the works of Shakespeare. I know you can't believe all you read on the interwebs.

Dramamine is one brand name for the drug dimenhydrinate, which is also the active ingredient in Gravol. So Dramamine "and Gravol are one family, Bonine/Meclizine are a different drug family."

This is correct. But everyone seems to react differently to different meds (and pre-fishing meals) so the key is to find what works for you.

The patch, Bonine, and candied ginger triple threat from the guy who puked everywhere from Eureka to Dutch Harbor before the days of Google is my best bet. Not sure the first two should be mixed though.

Thanks for the correction guys-I should have checked the bottles as I have them all on board-One of them will work on most people

I kind of like a bunch of beer mixed in with Kentucky Fried Chicken the night before and on the way out in the morning. Mix a bit of Fireball in your coffee to go along with it and all is good. Thanks to Osama for this recipe. Cheers.

Warning may cause drowsiness or stupidness for some people. Consult your doctor before taking.

I use the 25mg meclizine buy 100 pills in a jar for 7 bucks in the states. It really helps me I get seasick bad. I take them for 3 days before and take two pill before bed each night and continue through the fishing trip. Acidic food and drinks are a really bad think for sea sickness so don't drink a liter of Oj or coffee if your heading into the big swells and you get seasick. I have also heard deisel fumes are really bad but never really had to deal with that.

You guys are probably aware you can't purchase Gravol down the States-Bonamine is a trade name-it is just dramamine if you want the cheap generic version-

Definately not the same drug...
I cannot possibly stay awake with Gravol..and still puke.

Bonamine no side effects what so ever.. and no puking!

I am a person that with out drugs gets so sick I am crawling ( not walking) to the side of the boat to puke.

Nobody likes to get sick on a fishing trip nor does anyone like to see someone get sick. Such a sight can start a chain reaction. Anyhow, over the years I have seen 2 different types of pukers.

Type 1: This is the guy who while not feeling well and throwing up will take it for the team and even have a beer or two for a laugh. The fishing trip continues.

Type2: This person will be quiet at first, not very chatty and having the odd yawn while the symptoms build. Denial of symptoms is common. Once the guts get chucked then the real clear indicators of Type2 sea sickness appear. Basically they will do anything to get the boat back to the dock ASAP! Offering money, threatening violence is not unheard of.

I always say to the puker when they are done pukin " well, one good thing is that's the first hot meal those seagulls have had in weeks". Usually good for a laugh.

Back