Noob in Howe Sound.

aussieantics

Hi guys,
Thanks to you all for your help with my previous post. I’m not considering my neighbours 14’ sangster as it’s likely in pretty poor condition!
Would really appreciate all your input on something else I’m looking at. Primarily just want to safely get out fishing around Howe Sound along with dropping some crab and prawn traps.
Looking at the attached 16’ welded tinnie, then pairing it with a 40hp OB sourced separately so I can get something a lot more reliable.
I'm perfectly ok with it being a fair weather sailer and will be extremely diligent with keeping a close eye on multiple different weather platforms for current conditions, install an auto bilge pump, make sure I always have a charged waterproof VHF. Any other tips or suggestions?

Would greatly appreciate any feedback!
Thank you all once again.

Last edited:
howe sound is basically the entrance to a bunch of islands where the wind funnels down into a wavy washing machine style mess of choppy water and foam. its pretty deep (like 400+ feet) for the prawning areas. i wouldnt go there in anything less than a closed bow self draining 18 footer like a kingfisher or equivalent.
youre not going to go there in that 16 footer open boat with partially dud engine. even if the weather forecast is great that path turns into a choppy mess. ive had waves splash up to the roofline of my 18 footer going through there. youre certainly not going to be sitting out there for 3 hrs reeling in prawn traps without getting dunked.
i suggest starting a good inflatable - heres one i have owned - https://www.seaeagle.com/InflatableFishingSkiffs/FSK16 and getting 2 crab traps with 100 feet of line to start with. you can start by launching from belcarra pier and catching crabs just off the pier in 50 feet of water. gain 2-3 years of experience before getting into more dangerous waters.
if you decide to go this route hit me up and i'll show you a few safe crabbing spots when i take mine out where you can pretty much guarantee your full quota in a few hours. you need the honda canopy package and the scotty puller accessory if youre going the sea eagle route. they ship to canada.

Last edited:
howe sound is basically the entrance to a bunch of islands where the wind funnels down into a wavy washing machine style mess of choppy water and foam. its pretty deep (like 400+ feet) for the prawning areas. i wouldnt go there in anything less than a closed bow self draining 18 footer like a kingfisher or equivalent.
youre not going to go there in that 16 footer open boat with partially dud engine. even if the weather forecast is great that path turns into a choppy mess. ive had waves splash up to the roofline of my 18 footer going through there. youre certainly not going to be sitting out there for 3 hrs reeling in prawn traps without getting dunked.
i suggest starting a good inflatable - heres one i have owned - https://www.seaeagle.com/InflatableFishingSkiffs/FSK16 and getting 2 crab traps with 100 feet of line to start with. you can start by launching from belcarra pier and catching crabs just off the pier in 50 feet of water. gain 2-3 years of experience before getting into more dangerous waters.
if you decide to go this route hit me up and i'll show you a few safe crabbing spots when i take mine out where you can pretty much guarantee your full quota in a few hours. you need the honda canopy package and the scotty puller accessory if youre going the sea eagle route. they ship to canada.
I’m going to have to disagree here, I’d take that aluminum with proper gunnels over that flat, inflatable deck boat every day of the week. Especially when dragging traps around the deck. That inflatable definitely has its place and I’m sure is lot of fun on a flat day or lake, but I would feel much safer out in rough water with higher gunnels and transom. Also, I wouldn’t call it a half dud engine as the op states that he’s going to replace it with a newer 40, which would be great power for the boat.

I’m going to have to disagree here, I’d take that aluminum with proper gunnels over that flat, inflatable deck boat every day of the week. Especially when dragging traps around the deck. That inflatable definitely has its place and I’m sure is lot of fun on a flat day or lake, but I would feel much safer out in rough water with higher gunnels and transom. Also, I wouldn’t call it a half dud engine as the op states that he’s going to replace it with a newer 40, which would be great power for the boat.
Appreciate you actually reading my post mate! Haha. I’m 100% on the same page as you with the tinnie vs inflatable.
Was hauling crab traps in the sound on my kayak easily, hauled a 300’ prawn line and said never doing that **** again. Getting a boat.

Appreciate you actually reading my post mate! Haha. I’m 100% on the same page as you with the tinnie vs inflatable.
Was hauling crab traps in the sound on my kayak easily, hauled a 300’ prawn line and said never doing that **** again. Getting a boat.
Haha, he tries to sell everyone on the inflatables lol. I think that tinnie looks like a great option. Looks like it might have been a herring skiff or something by the flat bottom. This means it’s not going to have the smoothest ride ever, have you thought about a smaller whaler? https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/1015801069381249/?mibextid=6ojiHh

That aluminum would still be a good option it just might pound a little. There would be other aluminums with sharper V hills that would ride a little better. Happy hunting!

Haha, he tries to sell everyone on the inflatables lol. I think that tinnie looks like a great option. Looks like it might have been a herring skiff or something by the flat bottom. This means it’s not going to have the smoothest ride ever, have you thought about a smaller whaler? https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/1015801069381249/?mibextid=6ojiHh

That aluminum would still be a good option it just might pound a little. There would be other aluminums with sharper V hills that would ride a little better. Happy hunting!
Thanks for the link! Actually doesn’t look too bad at all. Greatly appreciate your input!
The thing I’m worried about is rotten transom / stringers etc that I can’t see with my rookie eye. Hence why I was leaning towards aluminum. Would love something with a nice deep V but also trying to keep it on a bit of a budget. It’s just something to get our feet wet over the next few years while we save for something a little bigger and better.

Hi guys,
Thanks to you all for your help with my previous post. I’m not considering my neighbours 14’ sangster as it’s likely in pretty poor condition!
Would really appreciate all your input on something else I’m looking at. Primarily just want to safely get out fishing around Howe Sound along with dropping some crab and prawn traps.
Looking at the attached 16’ welded tinnie, then pairing it with a 40hp OB sourced separately so I can get something a lot more reliable.
I'm perfectly ok with it being a fair weather sailer and will be extremely diligent with keeping a close eye on multiple different weather platforms for current conditions, install an auto bilge pump, make sure I always have a charged waterproof VHF. Any other tips or suggestions?

Where are you planning on launching from? If Squamish, pick your timing wisely and you'll be fine.

Hi guys,

That's a tank! Running it up on the beaches will never show! You can hug the rocks at Kirby, without a worry. I had a flattish bottomed Whaler knock-off, for a while. It could be hard on my back in steep chop so I slowed down. On a good day, with a 40 horse that boat of yours will be flying!

I can never remember water coming in on mine, even around Beale on a snotty day. Pick your days. Yes, Howe Sound can be shiatty but where on the coast is that not the rule? The worst day ever for me, was north of Silva Bay, half-way to Lasquiti, but only 'cause I was an impatient moron. The boat could take it but not me. I turned around in fear and slunk back to shelter. THE very reason you need a good engine and lots of fuel. The ocean lurks quietly, waiting for stupid people, like me then really fu*ks them up! After 55 years on the water, I'm starting to learn a thing.

I know you are smarter than me - you catch on quickly. So do as you suggest here, then build your skills, slowly. You have a trailer. Go anywhere that sounds intriguing! Nobody became a better boater by just talking or reading - get out there and do it! I'd wish you luck but brains are so much better. 😆

Suggestions:
All safety gear onboard and working, always! Always wear your PFD.

Set your trim and keep some weight forward. Keep everything screwed down, tied down, strapped down. (You aren't smarter after getting hit in the head.) No painter or dock line should reach the prop. Like motorcycles, practice defensive boating.

Whoever just bought that boat out from under me. Well played you SOB. Haha
probably saved your life. youre not going to get out to howe safely on anything less than a closed bow 18 footer. i doubt anyone in this thread has tried but i went out there in a 16 footer closed bow and got my a$$ handed to me with 8 foot waves and chop.
but you do you.
if you have a kayak i recommend sticking with it until you get some experience and learn to respect the ocean. at least the nasty parts like howe sound.

probably saved your life. youre not going to get out to howe safely on anything less than a closed bow 18 footer. i doubt anyone in this thread has tried but i went out there in a 16 footer closed bow and got my a$$ handed to me with 8 foot waves and chop.
but you do you.
if you have a kayak i recommend sticking with it until you get some experience and learn to respect the ocean. at least the nasty parts like howe sound.
Ok bud. Head back to your inflatable and tackle those 8’ waves. Stupid to head out in such hectic conditions to begin with.

but you do you.
“went out there in a 16 footer closed bow and got my a$$ handed to me with 8 foot waves and chop.”

Seems you did captain?!?
Thanks for your original input. Have a great day mate and stay safe.

Last edited:
Like any part of the ocean or large lake. Reading the wind and tide is key. The Windy app makes this easy. Navionics make the current and tide easy, as well. I’ve boated, many times in Howe Sound in my 14 tin and 14 Hourston. Sewells rented 16-17’ boats for a lifetime!! Being out in a 30’ isn 8 foot waves is no picnic either.
We used to trailer to Porteau Cove and launch, to get farther up the sound. In Summer wind funnels from HB to Squamish. Winter it usually run the opposite way. Run across and hide in behind Anvil and Gambier. Even when it’s blowing NW in the strait, it’s calm back there.
I’d buy the boat that I can afford the gas bill!!!

Like any part of the ocean or large lake. Reading the wind and tide is key. The Windy app makes this easy. Navionics make the current and tide easy, as well. I’ve boated, many times in Howe Sound in my 14 tin and 14 Hourston. Sewells rented 16-17’ boats for a lifetime!! Being out in a 30’ isn 8 foot waves is no picnic either.
We used to trailer to Porteau Cove and launch, to get farther up the sound. In Summer wind funnels from HB to Squamish. Winter it usually run the opposite way. Run across and hide in behind Anvil and Gambier. Even when it’s blowing NW in the strait, it’s calm back there.
I’d buy the boat that I can afford the gas bill!!!

Solid advice! Thank you so much. All about watching the weather and picking the days. Figure if I can be pulling traps in my yak, I sure as hell would be more comfortable doing it in something with higher gunnels!

Attachments

• 2FA9FECA-8386-4DC9-ABB2-92C7510373C3.png
    2FA9FECA-8386-4DC9-ABB2-92C7510373C3.png
    896.2 KB · Views: 40
  • B98F0C77-8D96-4282-A372-F9F73024DC71.jpeg
    B98F0C77-8D96-4282-A372-F9F73024DC71.jpeg
    137.2 KB · Views: 40
Last edited:
Back