scotty sure stop's

NootkaSounder

Anyone using the sure stops yet?

im going to be running:
-with my riggers fully extended or partially
-Stacked riggers
-possibly dummy flashers

Are these adjustable or length on were you want your weight to stop and or rigger sitting, good idea or problems?

Or should i ask FA to help setup my riggers as he has a mile of rope I read somewhere?

upgrading to the new riggers im hoping to get a nice good functional setup, with my old riggers I just clipped my cable to the ball, standard scotty setup.

You know they don't look like anything special to me. I have been using a similar setup for a couple of years now, only difference that I can see is that instead of a swivel, I use a knot that stops the motor as it passes through the switch. I also use a snubber before the cannonball. The advantage of having the thicker line is that you can clip your release to it and have no fear that it will move. I used to find that using the red stoppers for braided line did not prevent the release from moving; and as a result sometimes when I was stacking the separation distance would shrink and I would end up eith a tangled mess. If however I put two of the stoppers about 4 inches apart and used a small piece of surgical tubing between them, the release would not move on the line, and the clip would not chaff the braid either.
There is really only two ways to adjust where the cannon ball stops, either at the swivel at the top of the line or the quick connect at the bottom of the line.
As far as running dummy flashers, no problem, you could run them off the cannon ball or the rope, as long as the stop is at the right mark.

Not sure what they sell them for , but a length of gangion with a swivel would be cheap
in comparison I'm sure ?

GoGreen makes alot nicer one with quick release ball clip inc.
I no longer use a snubber with his setup

I've been making my own now for several years. Worked with Derby who had the idea in the first place to build our own. The Scotty version is just a knock off. Simple and cheap to make your own. All you need is gangion line cut to desired length, a swivel for stopper, and small clip to hook onto canon ball and you are done.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't use hardware. Not even a swivel. If your using finned balls you don't need a swivel as there shouldn't be any line twist. I attach my braided straight to my gangion and a knot becomes my auto stop. I make setups to run 1-3 rods per rigger and it costs me pennies.

Very simple to make your own. Been using gangion set ups on and off for almost 20 years now. It's nothing new. We used to attach steel cable to gangion to reduce wire cuts in the finger joints.

I don't use hardware. Not even a swivel. If your using finned balls you don't need a swivel as there shouldn't be any line twist. I attach my braided straight to my gangion and a knot becomes my auto stop. I make setups to run 1-3 rods per rigger and it costs me pennies.

Very simple to make your own. Been using gangion set ups on and off for almost 20 years now. It's nothing new. We used to attach steel cable to gangion to reduce wire cuts in the finger joints.
Yep backing this up. You don't need all the hardware...That setup FA shown has saved me hundreds of dollars in lost gear..... The twisting of the knot is not an issue,and I have been running mine all year started last spring and arn through winter....no break offs. Same goes with the Powerpro braid.

This is the set-up I use and have done for a few years. Someone on this site posted it a few years ago. The mono is my downrigger clip, the other goes to cannonball. The knot is the stopper and when it trips the autostop the ball is at the surface just sitting in the water and the clip is right beside it. No way for the clip to get knocked off. One bump of the switch and the ball is out of the water at the pulley. Its cheap and will save hundreds of $$$. If I stack rods I just double or triple up the stops and they won't slide up. Not the greatest photo but it gives you the idea.

Attachments

• IMG_0732.jpg
    IMG_0732.jpg
    96.5 KB · Views: 662
Instead of Gangian I use 200 lb mono crimped to a swivel. Less drag for winter when I'll fish down 200' I'll use a length that keeps the ball just at the surface when retrieved. And the mono works great for the release clip.

Well I fish gangion 200-350ft only a couple hundred days a year and don't feel the the need to switch to crimped mono. Plus gangion is stronger and easier on your hands.

What will fail first?

mono with a crimp or a knot tied in gangion

Well I fish gangion 200-350ft only a couple hundred days a year and don't feel the the need to switch to crimped mono. Plus gangion is stronger and easier on your hands.

What will fail first?

mono with a crimp or a knot tied in gangion

Most likely the 150 lb braid. ;):p The bonus with Gangion is that knots are FREE!! Crimps are "knot".

There is twist have you ever seen when you clamp on a downrigger clip and bring it up all the way the clip spins around the wire..??? basically its from 2 wheel spinning one horizontal(rigger) and one vertical (End of boom) its always going to happen physics..., THATS why they put swivels on them clips. i personally make my own for my set up but use a big SAMPO one especially for SS wire , that's one of the reasons why SS breaks its gets twisted over time BUT a good swivel will extend the life trust me on that since ive been doing this maybe 1 break off in ten years.

IF you use a round ball it will spin on its own coming up but a finned one wont hence the swivel. as for braid have no clue I dont like it to much of a pain in the arse..tried it hated it I wont voltage on my wire ..but thats a personal choice.....

Good luckWolf

I agree partially with Roy. It will spin but not enough to snap the line...But a re-tie main all the time...So if left it for long time possibly could snap... But so far a year has not happened including all these snap the braid stories...We all know how much Roy is a fan with braid... I do miss my SS wire... But truthfully the stuff is very strong been quite impressed and I was the biggest critic.

Def the braid would fail first, I've been impressed by the strength of these swivels. I also use this setup for the few times I bottom fish.I just clip them on the end of my braided rod line and avoid damaging the braided line.
Not trying to get anyone to switch this just works for me.

photo.jpg

Most likely the 150 lb braid. ;):p The bonus with Gangion is that knots are FREE!! Crimps are "knot".

IMG_2061.jpg solution to stoppers sliding/breaking when stacking:A-stopper for top line,B-top line release,C-stopper for bottom line and CB,D-spot to connect dummy flasher,E-7',F-15' spread between stacked lines, bunjie and snap to CB. Black twine is 250 lb tarred nylon-Nikka.

Back