Scotty rod holder question.

RiverBoy

I have first generation Scotty orcas with the Scotty arm extensions. I have them mounted to the booms on my downriggers. I'm growing increasingly nervous and think I am playing with fire, with my Islander reels and decent rods all pretty much hanging outside my boat. Especially given the rep Orcas have of opening up ( mine never have btw. Port rod orca upside down )
I also have Scotty locking bases on my gunwale and noticed that sScotty strikers now have that option. Thinking of making the switch.
Do strikers " lock" in place? Or do they always pivot I was on my neighbors boat not long ago; he runs strikers, and I was having a hell of a time getting the rod out of the holder when fish hit. As I went for the rod, the entire holder pivots upward, and I found my self fighting to get the rod out! Was beginning to feel like quite the rookie. I would just go ask my neighbor but he's in camp. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

The striker bases that swivel upwards can be altered easily so they don't move. Drill two holes on both sides then zap strap them so they no longer move.

I would be nervous about expensive islanders hanging off the side as well.

I mostly use my striker holders for bottom fishing. Don't want a monster fish or a bottom snag to snap off a plastic rod holder.

I am going to suggest you get rid of those first generation Orcas. if you fishing deep, the pressure will pop it open, it's a hair trigger just waiting for that opportune moment. The new ones take bit of getting used to, you need to pull up on the front first to release your rod, but wont pop open from the pressure on the rear section.

The striker bases that swivel upwards can be altered easily so they don't move. Drill two holes on both sides then zap strap them so they no longer move.

I would be nervous about expensive islanders hanging off the side as well.

I mostly use my striker holders for bottom fishing. Don't want a monster fish or a bottom snag to snap off a plastic rod holder.

Interesting. I originally boom mounted the holders to give me more space to man over around my centre console. My Campion Explorer 165 is a fantastic fishing boat but not exactly roomy, especially around the console. I originally had orcas mounted to the gunwale, but found that the rod butts stuck out enough to impede movement to the front of the boat. ( Anyone have a Campion 165 or 542 for sale)

gungadin:
yes I am deep-sixing them. they are making me nervous. thanks for your help btw in years past dealing with some of my electrical issues. top notch guys on this site!

Back