Salt water tackle box

doryman53

yikes so my Fenwick box has bit the dust after many years. The poor soul has served me well through abuse and sad to say a bit of neglect. Had a Plano awhile back..year and a half and it was toast. Thoughts on a new one would be great.

I just use the tackle containers. There isn't a tackle box on the market for how much I carry on my boat so the containers work well for me

Plastic Tackle Boxes seem to be made out of two different types of plastic. The softer more greasy type plastic boxes works just fine for west coast fishing but the hard type plastic boxes are far less desirable. I say this because if you are using any of the lures made of the very soft type plastics, (for example hootchies) they will melt/dissolve right into the hard plastic boxes destroying the lure and damaging the box. I also find the hard plastic boxes are less robust and more prone to damage.

Thanks for replies. I have a bunch of gear but generally like to keep my one box full of favourites and stuff I use in a go to. Never thought bout soft but will look into that. You are right on about hard plastic and melt.

Thanks for replies. I have a bunch of gear but generally like to keep my one box full of favourites and stuff I use in a go to. Never thought bout soft but will look into that. You are right on about hard plastic and melt.

I was eyeing this one at West Marine...may zip over and see if they have one left on clearance. Totally forgot about it til this thread.

It is laid out really well.

https://www.westmarine.com/buy/blacktip--deluxe-offshore-tackle-bag-large--14244016?recordNum=17

Yes there should be 4 x Plano 3700 size boxes.

Room in the pockets to add more. Plus...the OP has been getting by with a box, he doesn't sound like he needs a system that says Bauer or Reebok Hockey on the side. :p

@fishin solo pretty much carries about 8 of the big red stand up tool boxes with him. He's burned out 34 label makers trying to organize.

Last edited:
Line the other guys are saying, stick with the Plano trays.
If you can find some 12" x 6" x 4" plastic Tupperware style trays they are great for rigged flashers. I have another one with leader boards in it with spoons and hootchies ready to go.
Besides a single Plano tray with swivels, beads, and other hardware, I don't keep any other unrigged tackle. Just some flashers pre attached to my gear for the day, with the leaderboards for color/size changes on the rare occasion a fishes stomach contents are surprising.
I have a water resistant duck hunting bag I use to carry my trays.

Room in the pockets too add more. Plus...the OP has been getting by with a box, he doesn't sound like he needs a system that says Bauer or Reebok Hockey on the side. :p

@fishin solo pretty much carries about 8 of the big red stand up tool boxes with him. He's burned out 34 label makers trying to organize.
He isn't organized lol

http://veada.com/boat-storage/three-drawer-slimline-tackle-box.html

http://www.nauticaldesigninc.com/tackle.htm

If you really need lots of tackle storage and the boat has space try these. I have a cupboard with a seat on top of it with one end facing the fishing deck and the first one would work although one with about 6 drawers or more would be better and they do make them, - have thought about it about.
those nautical designs are awesome but man I don't think I could choke down the cost lol they are sexy though

I just went through the same exercise. Ended up with this:

http://www.planomolding.com/fishing.../guide-series-pro-stowaway-rack-tackle-system

On the plastic tackle boxes, look for "worm proof". That means that the super soft plastics used in bass worms (or in our case hootichies) won't melt through the plastic in these boxes.

I thought about the soft cases, then I looked at the zippers on the backpack that I take on the boat all the time. A little salt corrosion and they are screwed. I'm forever applying zipper lube to those things now and I wouldn't want that next to my fishing gear.

x2 for the plano. I use that as my main spoon box, with smaller boxes for hoochies, flies, halibut and plugs. How does anyone survive with a single box??? :)

I have been using these stanley storage boxes. I still have my old box but more often then not I just grab one of these with my common gear and go. I also have one setup for chum fishing as that one is only used up in Browns Bay in the fall.

s-l1000.jpg

Back