Setting up our first West Coast Salt Water Tackle Box -What to buy?, What to Buy?

Bill 310

Crew Member
I used to fly fish (fresh water) and fish with bait and lures when I grew up in Ontario. My fishing out west has been to the Charlottes , Campbell River or out locally 20 plus years ago on friend's boats.

So.... when I go to a fishing store I am a more than a little overwhelmed by the amount of tackle choices available.

So it will be for the most part my wife and I fishing together, and on occasion some family friends/relatives with their kids joining us.

We are ok for Rods and reels, nets, gaff, bonkers, etc.

We need everything including a decent tackle box. The ones I have now are a pre-war aluminum tackle box and my dad's first Leather Medical bag he would have bought in the1930's.

We have two Daiwa mooching reels (no rods) two Abu Garcia 7000 reels and half decent rods.

The boat has 2 downriggers and we will be mooring at Reed Point.

It would be very helpful if I was able to get a list of a decent starter supply of tackle. We will start fishing as soon as we can likely by January .

I really don't know what size hooks to buy, what size weights, etc. etc.

We need basically everything but not too much. I have a bit of a learning/communication disability so it is close to impossible for me to go to a store and ask for help. I will frustrate the sales staff and myself. I do really well with lists.

Any help will be most appreciated.

Go to your local shop and ask. When I started Jason at Pacific Angler set me up for every possible scenario. I think I spent $1500 and everything fit into one tackle bag. Realistically it was years worth of gear but for every season.

Id start with terminal tackle work your way out.
Asking here may give you some long lists.
But heres a condensed list

maxima 40lb (
6 ball swivels
Mcman snaps
Beads 10mm

pre rigged hootchies -
green spatterback, army truck, white (dozens of “white” shades) Red and white,

Assortment of spoons, coyote spoons are durable- cop car, green silver, blue silver.
Gibbs spoons are flimsy but they no doubt work herring aid, gold nugget, no bananas, irish cream, kitchen sink

Flashers-
Couple greens
Red one
Dark one (like black)

im sure im forgetting stuff but keeping your hooks sharp or swap em out when dull is important too

maxima 40lb (
6 ball swivels
Mcman snaps
Beads 10mm

pre rigged hootchies -

Assortment of spoons, coyote spoons are durable- cop car, green silver, blue silver.
Gibbs spoons are flimsy but they no doubt work herring aid, gold nugget, no bananas, irish cream, kitchen sink

Flashers-
Couple greens
Red one
Dark one (like black)

im sure im forgetting stuff but keeping your hooks sharp or swap em out when dull is important too

Terminal tackle 100% and the best place I've found is pacific net and twine in steveston. They will kit you out with all the fundamentals then you can spend the next 2 years decorating the ocean floor with it just like the rest of us.

maxima 40lb (
6 ball swivels
Mcman snaps
Beads 10mm

pre rigged hootchies -

Flashers-
Couple greens
Red one
Dark one (like black)

Add in a few head holders and hooks and that is a good starting point.

As far as tackle boxes, I am a fan of the soft bags that fit four plastic trays inside

I got started a couple years ago after being away from the island for a couple decades, and I agree with many of the comments.
I assume downrigger trolling is the plan
9' basic downrigger rods to go with your mooching reels (what I like for trolling)
I use 30-40lb mono for trolling, lots of people like braid but for trolling I think either
Lures - Hootchies - I say keep it simple - I use army truck, or white or pink 90% of the time
- you can buy pre-rigged - I like a single siwash hook so hooks, swivels, plastic beads and 40-50lb roll of leader (I use mono)
- Spoons - I like a big one and a littler one in black and white (silver on the back of all), green and white (Chartreuse and glow), and blue
- I like plugs but I think if I was just gearing up I'd wait before adding choices
Flashers - 2 pink and 2 green hotspot flashers (but people swear by white and black and glow colours and they probably help)
Down rigger release clips (I have only used Scotty - they work)
15lb lead cannonballs (plus I like the rubber and tuna cord downrigger stops to attach ball to downrigger line - probably lots of opinions on that)
Rockfish descender of some type

I have had pretty good success - I just focus on figuring out the spots and how to fish them not worrying too much about the hot lure of the week (although obviously sometimes thats what makes the difference)- most of the time if you find the fish and show them something that looks like feed to them they will bite

In Campbell River we have a couple good stores with fair prices and knowledgeable helpful people and I am sure the local places will be pretty helpful where you are as well.

Everyone is going to be keen to spend your money....
Here's my 2 cents:
In Sooke you can catch fish all year round with a combination of these 5 lures:
*Glow white Hoochie
*Bloodie Nose and Glow Chartreuse teaser heads
*No Bananas and Herring Aid spoons
Then you can add a couple of flashers like Madi, Gold Betsy, Glow Herring Aid, Purple Crush, Green Highliner, etc.
Add terminal tackle and you're at $200 to get out fishing.

maxima 40lb (
6 ball swivels
Mcman snaps
Beads 10mm

pre rigged hootchies -

Flashers-
Couple greens
Red one
Dark one (like black)

He nailed it. Can't stress enough white hoochies. Different leader lengths on a white hoochie target different species

The spoons as produced by this company (100% local) are deadly and often outfish bait-they did for me on a recent trip to the Gwaii.

This is a new local company with some outstanding products in classic colours

Where will you be doing most of your fishing?

Where will you be doing most of your fishing?

We will be moored at Reed Point in Port Moody.

Day trips and overnight trips from Vancouver to the gulf islands and up the coast. A few week long trip each summer

Eventually as we get more experienced and I get retired we may travel further afield.

Back