Salmon jigging techniques?

Looks like the "single barbless hook" rule has been removed, that's great to see!

For those that are interested, here is the current wording if the mouth of the cap regs.
Screenshot_2016-07-02-06-55-47.png

I never fish salmon with a treble! I,ve caught a winter spring while in search of lingcod(good thing it was a keeper) as the fish was hooked through both bottom and top lip and had put up a good fight. It's mouth was thrashed, and I'm not sure it would have survived had I released it.

I almost always remove trebles and replace with single barbless hooks. especially if fishing anywhere where rockfish might be encountered. and even if I'm targetting them. just seems so much easier to release a fish. and easier on the fish also I would think... usually use a single with bait also.

I get a large majority of my fish on the drop, not while jigging but an extended drop ether right from the surface or a good 20'. I think it creates that situation where the fish has to decide to either take it or leave it.

I've had springs follow my lure right to the surface which proves to me that they'll watch a jig out of curiosity and not necessarily bite it if the action doesn't suit them.

Ok So 3 or more single hooks are clearly against the rules such as herring rigs.. trebles are obviously not considered single hooks, so this rule only applies to single hooks?

Aheny, i have no idea what youre saying.. I'll just stick with single tandems or trolling with a treble single away from the cap mouth. More fish for you I guess but less fines for me.

Last edited:
Ok So 3 or more single hooks are clearly against the rules such as herring rigs.. trebles are obviously not considered single hooks, so this rule only applies to single hooks?

Aheny, i have no idea what youre saying.. I'll just stick with single tandems or trolling with a treble single away from the cap mouth. More fish for you I guess but less fines for me.

I've never seen them check the hooks anyone trolling for salmon in all my years of fishing the cap. The regulation is there to prevent snaggers impaling the fish with oversize trebles and a lead weight. I actually dragged that exact setup off the bottom of the mouth of the Somass River one time, so there are people out there who do that sort of thing. As long as your not attempting to snag fish using trebles I don't think you will ever be bothered.

I usually stick to singles when jigging for Salmon as well, so no worries there.

Last edited:
Back