Salmon fishing around Saturna / Mayne?

likwit

Anybody have any experience fishing around Saturna and/or Mayne Island?

I've heard people used to catch salmon right off of East Point on Saturna... It looks like a cool spot to fish, although I know there is an RCA. lots of seals too.

anyone have any tips/spots/thoughts they're willing to share?

cheers

I tried it a while back around Mayne-trolling from a canoe later in the year when there should have been a few Coho around=NADA.

Of course I couldn't get down too far without downriggers and as you say there were so many Seals it was stupid.

i fished saturna a few weeks back, more or less just a cruise but no bait, no fish. lotsa of birds feeding off of east point on a real shallow reef, tried jiggin but just a couple small lings. I cant see it gettin hot and heavy but im no expert so maybe worth a try. good luck

Why not try outside closure off Active ? "offshore"

Last edited by a moderator:
thanks for the thoughts everyone.

something about east point just seems fishy to me... sounds like it might take many many hours to prove though!

peahead, offshore off Active = nanimo salmon styles i presume? deep water?

thanks for the thoughts everyone.

something about east point just seems fishy to me... sounds like it might take many many hours to prove though!

peahead, offshore off Active = nanimo salmon styles i presume? deep water?

Yes exactly and unfortuneatly unlike Nanaimo/Easter Gabriola areas there is not much of an option to fish the inshore bottom contours due to the RCA there off Georgina/Gossip. As long as you are over 100 meters you should be ok but check the RCA coordinates: http://www.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/fm-gp/maps-cartes/rca-acs/index-eng.htm
North of Gossip you could come in closer. Watch the RCA off Galiano farther North too. Off Porlier can be good too but thats a bit far up from Saturna.

Saying that, there is no reason you couldn't find chinook ouit off Cabbage/Tumbo/Saturna. Cabbage used to have quite excellent fishing but much of that was back in the good ole coho days. South side of Saturna ( inside) is all RCA

Last edited by a moderator:
Back