Running Yamaha 150 with flush port disconnected

Connor D

I made a big boo boo and forgot to reconnect the hose flush port on the side of the Cowling... I ran the engine for 10 minutes to get to my fishing spot.. it was still pissing water.. shut it off.. ran my kicker, then when I started it back up.. there was a little bit it smoke and a burning smell.. that went away quickly.. So I just continued to drive it 10 mins home.. noticed it when I went to flush the engine when I got home.. am I ok? Without that connected which part of the engine doesn't get water?

I believe that the flush connection is a bypass and your water pump would
still pump even disconnected.
if you still have a good strong stream from the telltale, should be okay

Ok thanks guys.. the smoke and smell kind of concerned me as I've never had this before.. but ran fine? Hope it's s one time thing.

I made a big boo boo and forgot to reconnect the hose flush port on the side of the Cowling... I ran the engine for 10 minutes to get to my fishing spot.. it was still pissing water.. shut it off.. ran my kicker, then when I started it back up.. there was a little bit it smoke and a burning smell.. that went away quickly.. So I just continued to drive it 10 mins home.. noticed it when I went to flush the engine when I got home.. am I ok? Without that connected which part of the engine doesn't get water?

You should be fine but wouldn’t hurt to check your oil.

It will effect cooling because there’s less water going through the cooling jackets. Couldn’t have been too critical or you would have thrown an alarm...definitely check oil eventhough smell might have been a separate issue

The Yamaha manual says it can lead to overheating. Just bought a new motor and read the manual end to end. I did it once too and never had an issue.

If the overheat alarm didn't go off you are ok...you were just dumping water intended to circulate through the block.

Back