Yamaha 9.9 gear case stuck

MR fisher

I'm hoping for a pointer or two with my Yamaha 9.9 HP high thrust 4 stroke (somewhere 99-01ish, unknown model number).

This engine is on the 21' Fiberform that I purchased a week ago. I know that the previous owner didn't use the kicker much. After getting it home I changed the leg oil. It was definitely old and dirty, but had no traces of water in it. I sealed everything up and it seemed all good. First test on the water was Thursday, which went well. After getting it home and flushing the engine with fresh water I found that the engine wouldn't engage in reverse (although it had perfectly on the water). The throttle would increase but the prop wouldn't turn. Crap! After a bit of investigating I found the new gear oil leaking out as a milky, watery mess from the top vent hole. Double crap! My best assumption was that the sea test loosened things enough that the O ring seals around the gear case were shot. After watching some videos and doing some reading I decided to take the unit apart to inspect. No problems getting the prop off. When I loosened the two bolts holding the gear case on I noticed that I was having to break through factory paint. I guess nobody has been in there in the 20+ years of this engine's life! After freeing these though, I found everything else to be completely stuck. I can't budge the gear unit at all. Again, factory paint all the way around the junction with the leg, which I scored with a utility knife. I inserted a flat head into the tabs on the top and bottom and pried, but to no avail. I tapped all around it with a rubber mallet, which also made no difference.

I saw a Youtube video showing people using a blow torch to free a stuck gear case but I'm trying to avoid extreme techniques like this. Other videos I watched showing removed gear cases don't indicate any trouble doing removal. Any suggestions for how else I might free this up? I'll include a few photos below. Thanks!

PXL_20230829_033925563.jpg

Attachments

• PXL_20230829_033644788.jpg
    PXL_20230829_033644788.jpg
    347.6 KB · Views: 44
  • PXL_20230829_033651702.jpg
    PXL_20230829_033651702.jpg
    439.6 KB · Views: 43
  • PXL_20230829_033839536.jpg
    PXL_20230829_033839536.jpg
    299.6 KB · Views: 44
Yep, and manually shift the shift rod and see if the dog grabs the gear. That hub will be a complete ***** to remove. They will twist, but will take alot of heat and if you break those ears off, that hub will be expensive and most likely a back order part

Buy or fabricate a puller. But also, make sure everything else up to the gearcase is working before you do that. You could have a fill/drain gasket leak, or a impeller shaft seal leak. Like noluck said, pressure test. Check shift linkages are adjusted correctly. Pulling that gear case apart is absolutely the last thing I would do.

You all make solid points. I will work through the other stuff first and keep you posted. Thanks.

Would an impeller shaft seal leak get into the gearcase instead of just flood the leg?

The shift linkages are not as fluid as I would like. Forward and neutral are fine, but there is a lot of resistance trying to get it down into reverse. That's one of the reasons why I wanted to get the gears out and inspect for what might be obstructing it.

You all make solid points. I will work through the other stuff first and keep you posted. Thanks.

Would an impeller shaft seal leak get into the gearcase instead of just flood the leg?

The shift linkages are not as fluid as I would like. Forward and neutral are fine, but there is a lot of resistance trying to get it down into reverse. That's one of the reasons why I wanted to get the gears out and inspect for what might be obstructing it.

It's not an impeller shaft it's a drive shaft. The gearcase has 2 shafts, driveshaft and propshaft. Both in which have back to back oil seals.

In order to shift any gearcase with a clutch dog, one of those shafts needs to be turning so the clutch dog will pop into the gear. Usually won't shift properly when it's static. I'd say take it to a mechanic.

Last edited:
Pressure tested. The seal on the shift cam assembly was completely shot. The shift rod boot and casing bracket. Now to track down those parts. Boats.net has them but hoping to order them locally. I appreciate the suggestion to have a mechanic take over ship happens. That may be the eventual outcome. For now I am learning a ton though, largely through the help of this community and youtube. PXL_20230830_025123835.jpg

Attachments

• 1000004162.png
    1000004162.png
    779 KB · Views: 15
Back