rolling cables

Bordeau

My present set up, I use 13 feet of throttle and gear cables. When steering, the cables moves from fully stretched to back in the wing of the boat.

I am up grading and the engine is currently set up as in picture. I like the idea that the cables are long enough to roll while steering. In the picture, there is about 5 ft of extra cables which seems a bit too long. Any comments on pros and cons of this rolling set up? What is the ideal extra cable length from the side gunnel hole?

rolling cables.JPG

That's honestly how it should be when the cables come in from the starboard side and when the rigging comes into the motor on the starboard side. Allows for articulation. It can look alot prettier if the rest of the rigging is in unison.

Do you mean that I should tied up the electric control harness, cables and fuel line all together in a plastic wrap tube?

I just looked at my boat and on my present set up the cables come from the starboard side of the boat and into the port side of the engine. That's probably why the loop was not needed.

Back