Rivers Inlet - June

TipUp

Heading up to Rivers Inlet in a few weeks for a four night trip. Staying at Dawson's Landing so hoping to fish around the islands at the entrance to Rivers. Just wondering what to expect for salmon this time of year? I know that most people fish Rivers in August for the big Wannock fish but June was the only month we could get dates at Dawson's.

Were bringing all the jigging gear too and plan on trying for ling/hali aswell.

Rivers Inlet has always been a bucket list trip. I've heard June is typically a good month for weather up there but can anyone confirm this?

Thanks!

TipUp

I’m not familiar with fishing inside Rivers inlet in June but I know guys that head to Pt Hardy every June and they run up to Bremner Pt. It’s just south of cape caution and normally they do really well fishing springs that time of year. If it was me I’d try to fish the inside of Calvert island . Clark Pt , Truman Pt.

I've done well on bottomfish at the mouth of the Inlet once the tides are settled down/figured out - actually won an idiot prize one year at some lodge for champion bottom basher.

I've been to Duncanby a number of times in late June. Weather is usually fine and can always find a place out of the wind. Generally you don't fish inside the inlet that time of year, but hit the area around the entrance (Cranston Pt, the Wall and Dome area, or make a longer trip across to Calvert). Should find a reasonable amount of springs in the teens, but with the odd one going into twenties or 30+. Only small coho's if you see them at all. Find the Duncanby guide boats and follow them around.

heading up to Duncanby tomorrow for a trip so can provide a report upon my return. I've been up there in a June a few times before and it can be spotty for chinook fishing but the last few years have been pretty solid in early June for me. As others have mentioned, most of the Duncanby boats will be fishing cranston, the dome, wall, etc. so just keep an eye open for them.

I don't target bottom fish too often up there so can't offer any specifics on ling, etc but there are some decent hali spots in Fitz Hugh sound just between Calvert and Duncanby so check you charts for those pinnacles, etc.

The lodge guys generally don't fish the inside of Rivers too much this time of year, especially up near the head but i've done Ok trolling Wadhams and Draney in early June and you're usually fishing without another boat in sight which is nice and relaxing.

weather is weather so who the hell knows but looks like i'll need some rain gear for my trip this week. Good luck up there and I'll try to send a report upon my return.

quick report from my recent trip up to duncanby. Fishing was slow for this time of year compared to previous trips but we did manage to find a few. Perhaps they are just late a bit? What we lacked in salmon fishing success we made up for in rain at least :)

Most duncanby boats fished Cranston, and the Wall/Dome but there were some fish caught on the inside islands closer to the lodge as well. We tried up at Draney / Wadhams for an afternoon and had one good whack that we missed and that was it for salmon up there. A few grizz on the shoreline to keep us entertained at least.

If you're at Dawson's you might wanna start at Merc point or Addenbroke and give those a go. I'm sure the salmon fishing will turn on soon and those are pretty hot spots when they are on.

good luck!

quick report from my recent trip up to duncanby. Fishing was slow for this time of year compared to previous trips but we did manage to find a few. Perhaps they are just late a bit? What we lacked in salmon fishing success we made up for in rain at least :)

Most duncanby boats fished Cranston, and the Wall/Dome but there were some fish caught on the inside islands closer to the lodge as well. We tried up at Draney / Wadhams for an afternoon and had one good whack that we missed and that was it for salmon up there. A few grizz on the shoreline to keep us entertained at least.

If you're at Dawson's you might wanna start at Merc point or Addenbroke and give those a go. I'm sure the salmon fishing will turn on soon and those are pretty hot spots when they are on.

good luck!
Thanks for the report! We're heading up on the 22nd so hopefully some fresh fish move in.

Back