Reels???

My vote is centerpin if you are drifting and standard mooching... for those slow trolling or motor mooching then single actions (drag is the difference so you can take a break from holding a rod and put a beer in your hand)[^]. Level wind is for pulling meat off the bottom of the ocean.[B)]

tonic,

Most of us don't have the funds to fish with a real the cost more than our kicker. I like the shimano TLD used it for years on tuna and dorado and the springs aren't in that leage. I love the Knuckle busters or just 8/9 fly reel for coho but Cornfed is right down hear you get a nice spring on the last thing you want to do is play with it. And Fords rule.

There are those who do and those who do not know how to. First---FORD all the way.It will always be a debate on whats the best, I still fish ith the buster my grandfather fished the west coast for years with. I have had it for 15 years and have more fun with it than any level wind i own

[8D]

I have fished every type of reel there is and a few years ago settled on the following compromise: levelwinds for my kids and newbie guests, my wife and somewhat experienced guests use the Shimano 2000GTs (for the one way drag), myself and more experienced guests use old school Peetz centrepins (if you have big hands try the 6" model!). If you have never tried a Peetz then go to a garage sale and pick a used one up for $10 - TRY IT - the connection to the fish is amazing and the enhanced challenge of moving your hand from knob to spool depending on what the fish does truly adds to the feeling of accomplishment when the fish is in the boat.
Last fall my buddy set the hook on a chum and then accidentally (he thought he had the levelwind in his hands!!!) gave the rod to my 7 year old. The youngster got the fish all the way to the boat and then yelled at us to get the net out - result - 17 pounder! So for those of you that think centrepins are too hard I encourage you to think again!
You won't lose any more fish and the feel is so much better that I can't adequately describe it! After all, aren't we all out there for the fun and challenge? The levelwinds for the charter guests makes sense to me....

TomicTime - I want to run with you, man! If you are running Calcutta's than you must have a 70' Hatteras. I just got out of college a year ago so I am lucky to have no debt, a 25' Walkaround, and enough money to pay for gas....so I will keep my penn's and continue to drag fish right to the boat. Maybe in a few years, I will buys some PENN INTERNATIONALS!!! If you would like to include me in your high society fishing, I would be more than happy to come aboard. Just kidding Tomictime....good luck this season!

CHEVY makes trucks?????

hmnnn.... being new at this and not wanting to buy top shelf stuff, i guess all you guys are gonna laugh. i get my stuff at wal mart, so i guess i would drive a dodge...lol my play truck is a chevy. :D

Knuckle busters ALL the way and trust me even if you have big hands you can use them if anybody who knows me my hands are not tiny as well and I dont seem to have a problem.

you mercans like them because they are easy and that what you guys like this is called "SPORT FISHING" and on the our beutiful coastline and province this is what we use and we use it because it is tradional and thousands of people and the many lodges use them for a reason, very very reliable.

Good luck Wolf

I would have to agree Knuckle dusters all the way!!! The calcutta reels are less than Islanders.... so they aren't that highly priced, however I would never own one, cuz If I were going with gold reels they'd be MR2's. I love my Islanders, and for that matter my M1's as well. Remember "the heartbeat ends with a 'stroke" ;) FORD BABY!!!!!!!

Intersting topic. I just moved out here and acquired a couple of MR2's with anti reverse. I have had them out twice now and in fact on the last trip a friend got sealed which blew 100 yds of line off of the reel in a heart beat.... a novice with a knuckle buster might still be nursing a sore hand! Having said that, I just acquired an MR3 and can't wait to try it out on some big springs. The idea of being closer connected to the fish and feeling all of the resistance first hand (no pun intended) is exciting. Maybe I will wear a mit for my first outing on my reel hand :) Striper Sniper

SeaWolf is correct, he was the reel man on that incident. I can just imagine what the seal was telling his friends... just got Humaned, those guys are taking all the salmon, etc... wish there was a way to cull them! Striper Sniper

So do I hear you guys getting upset because it is not fair to the fish that people use levelwinds? because that is how it is coming across.

If I lived in Canada and got to experience exceptional fishing a great majority of the time, then I might use one. But I make one trip per year to Tahsis with a lot of money wrapped in that trip. Those are the biggest springs I catch all year. The last thing I want to do use a nut buster reel. If I want sport, tell ya what, I will take that star drag and loosen it till the line just spills off the reel. Another thing, the connection is in the action of the pole...just because you have a one to one gear ratio doesn't mean s***. As soon as you put a flasher on the other end of the line the fight changes dramatically. You are no longer "feeling" the fish.

As for the durability and reliability part...I have four Penn levelwind reels that I have fished for 15 years and have never had one problem with them.

"Easy" is a relative term. If you want to make it "sporting" than go out to the "highway" in a kayak and use a spinning reel with 6 lb. test line.

I am done ranting now...[}:)]

You guys are friggin killing me. "Sporting"........?........lol.

Tell me that a single action reel is sporting when you have a 24' Grady, radar, GPS, 2 fishfinders, VHF, downriggers, composite rods, spectra line, black boxes, lure scents, ect, ect, ect. Hell, the fish dont stand a chance.;)

If its sporting your talking about, then get out your row boat, single action reel, single hook on a plug. No electronics. No fancy gizmoes and have at it.

Level wind, center pin. Who really cares. Your out fishing and thats what counts, not what your using.

By the way..........FORD RULES!!!!!!!:D

I mostly fish straight of georgia. How fast i can pull in a fish really counts when you have 10 seals within 40 feet of your boat.

I use the Penn 320s just like cornfed said, i have never had any problems with them. I have some peetz reels i intend to use on the west coast, but around here you can loose every fish you hook if you let it flop around too long.

I'm not even pro levelwind, its just what I grew up using.

Corn-Llama:

First, loved the pun - if you intended, "Tonic"
Quality rod and Reel ARE your connection to the fish, invest in a FEW really good ones vs. LOT's of junk.
The advice on the Peetz is dead nuts on. Start there.
My point about the Sound was I catch LOTS of Kings there...and I release many of them..hence my hint about terminal gear.
Finally I have a 12 year old boat that is paid for and no it is NOT a Hatt.
Corn, I do see you have managed a ride on a 35' Albin, you must be doing something RIGHT..
..finally this thing about Fords and Chev's...they both ****, the new Toy will eventually grow up and Chev and Ford will fade away..like they have been doing for years...but my Chev is paid for and I just sunk $2K into stuff the japanese quality guys would do kari-Kari for..
oh, and yes..I did have a F-250 Diesel grenade and vaporize $15K in an instant..
!@#$#@! I need to go fishing....4 more days and I have a hot date w Nootka...

TomicTime - I want to run with you, man! If you are running Calcutta's than you must have a 70' Hatteras. I just got out of college a year ago so I am lucky to have no debt, a 25' Walkaround, and enough money to pay for gas....so I will keep my penn's and continue to drag fish right to the boat. Maybe in a few years, I will buys some PENN INTERNATIONALS!!! If you would like to include me in your high society fishing, I would be more than happy to come aboard. Just kidding Tomictime....good luck this season!

CHEVY makes trucks?????
[/quote]

good point, perhaps a or many a seal could change my mind

quote:Originally posted by RobTufnail

I mostly fish straight of georgia. How fast i can pull in a fish really counts when you have 10 seals within 40 feet of your boat.

I use the Penn 320s just like cornfed said, i have never had any problems with them. I have some peetz reels i intend to use on the west coast, but around here you can loose every fish you hook if you let it flop around too long.

I'm not even pro levelwind, its just what I grew up using.

Cornfed: Thasis? I have fished that general area for almost 20 years...by day three you should be FULLY converted to fun. When will you be there? If I can get beyond the Ford thing and keep in mind you are debt free, I may actually HELP you a bit up there, send me a PM

JD

quote:Originally posted by Cornfed

So do I hear you guys getting upset because it is not fair to the fish that people use levelwinds? because that is how it is coming across.

If I lived in Canada and got to experience exceptional fishing a great majority of the time, then I might use one. But I make one trip per year to Tahsis with a lot of money wrapped in that trip. Those are the biggest springs I catch all year. The last thing I want to do use a nut buster reel. If I want sport, tell ya what, I will take that star drag and loosen it till the line just spills off the reel. Another thing, the connection is in the action of the pole...just because you have a one to one gear ratio doesn't mean s***. As soon as you put a flasher on the other end of the line the fight changes dramatically. You are no longer "feeling" the fish.

As for the durability and reliability part...I have four Penn levelwind reels that I have fished for 15 years and have never had one problem with them.

"Easy" is a relative term. If you want to make it "sporting" than go out to the "highway" in a kayak and use a spinning reel with 6 lb. test line.

I am done ranting now...[}:)]

Back