Reels???

M

Mudder Man

What does everyone prefer for fishing for Salmon. Level Wind's or Knuckle Buster's? I know the level winds will get the meat to the boat quicker.

Mudder

Level winds are great for people that have never fished for salmon, but I think that overall centre-pins are the way to go. I run level winds in the winter so I can retrieve from the depths a lot faster (Winter fish where I fish are 100-200 feet), but for the summer, a single action. For someone new to salmon fishing, if they are breaking off fish, I will put them onto a 320LD.

exactly what lastchance said.
levelwinds are pretty dummy proof.
i use the penns for most my fishing, and abu garcias for the lighter fish(socks, coho, pinks)

It's time you guys get out of the stoneage with your knucklbusters.Amazing how quickly you switched over to electric downriggers. I guess nostalgia gets the best of us sometimes.Anybody still rowing out there .

Crazy Eagle it has nothing to do with the stone age ,and everything to do with the sport of fishing.Give a center pin a try if you really want to feel the power some of these fish have.

Crazy level winds take all the fun/sport out Salmon fishing.

And by your own downrigger statement I suppose you would use electric reels for Salmon if they were allowed [:eek:)]

Riptide 2
Sportfishing ?[:0]
Pulling a 5 pound coho behind a flasher the size of a surfboard on a 30 pound line ? [V]
The few sportfisher I see around here are the Tyee guys (girls)

quote:It's time you guys get out of the stoneage with your knucklbusters

you're an idiot[B)]

quote:excuse ignorance,but difference between a normal mooching reel
and a centerpin is ??

a true center pin doesn't have a drag I believe, popular for steelhead - I'm not sure how you could troll with one though.

I run 4 rods stacked on two riggers and use 2 knuckle busters Shimmano 4000s and two penn 320s. Call them what you will but for the average lady or new to it client, the Penns sure are nice for taking up limp line when the Springs surge for the boat.

Now i only hear snap!...."what happened"? half as much on a charter.[:p]

Anyone run "braided line" off there levelwinds on the downrigger?

My hands are too big for knucklebusters. Aside from that I hate to see my line go slack when a fish runs at the boat. We mericanz' don't have the fishin' opportunities that some of you guys to the north have so when we hook up a fish, we want it to be there. if you want sport than loosen your drag or use a fly rod. If you offered me a few shots of Lucky No. 7, you might get me to use knucklebusters for coho, but not springs. I can understand why people like "knucklebusters" but I will never go to them...I run Penn 320 GTs.

This debate is just like FORD vs. CHEVY. It will never die! :D

Knucklebusters and Chevy.

Nothing else counts.

Seriously though, I can understand why some people use level wind, however I love it when you don't get your hands out of the way fast enough and the fish teaches you a lesson.

Always good for a laugh with the people I fish with.

Cornfed..Sorry but your 320's are stoneage also..For WA fish you really should try a calcutta 400 TE. While I do mostly fish BC, I use the the Islanders here in the Sound, just love whacking BIG springs on red lashers and chovies right next to WA guys draging "anything as long as it's green"..

Just messing w you.

also, I am a Chevy guy

Back