Knuckle buster vs Level Wind

Well, one thing is for sure – choosing the right winch is the key to a successful fishing adventure. Now, I know what you're thinking – "How do I know which style of reel is right for me?" Well, fret not, fellow anglers! In this YouTube video, we're diving deep into the world of fishing reels, exploring the different types and their distinct advantages. So, grab your cup of coffee, sit back, and prepare to be reeled in!

First things first, let's talk about comfort and ease of use. We all know that fishing can be a physically demanding sport, so it's important to choose a winch that feels comfortable in your hands. Whether you're a seasoned pro or just starting out, finding a reel that suits your level of experience and age is crucial. Remember, there's no absolute answer or right or wrong choice here – it's all about what brings you joy and enhances your fishing experience.

Now, let's tackle the age-old debate between one to one reels and low profile level wind reels. Personally, I love the thrill of one to one reels while trolling. There's something exhilarating about battling it out with the fish, feeling every tug and pull. However, when it comes to jigging, I prefer to opt for small 30 lbs drag or better low profile level wind reels. They offer superior control and precision, allowing me to finesse my way into catching that elusive trophy fish. But hey, don't just take my word for it – experiment and find what works best for you!

Oh, and let's not forget about spinning reels. In certain circumstances, they are an angler's best friend. From casting lightweight lures to battling feisty fish, spinning reels provide versatility and ease of use. So, whether you're casting off the shore or trying your luck in a kayak or large powerboat, these reels will have you covered.

Lastly, let's talk about line capacity. Now, this is an important consideration, especially when targeting different species. Some fish require longer and stronger lines, while others may demand a delicate touch. So, before you hit the water, be sure to match your reel's line capacity with your desired target. Trust me, it can make a world of difference in landing that dream catch!

In conclusion, the choice of winch is a highly personal decision. It's about finding what feels right for you, considering your level of experience, age, and the type of fishing you enjoy. So, embrace the never-ending education that comes with fishing, and don't be afraid to try new things. After all, the joy of angling lies in the journey, the thrill of the chase, and the memories made along the way. So, anglers of the world, cast your lines and reel in adventure like never before!

Ps. great video...keep up the good work.

Well, one thing is for sure – choosing the right winch is the key to a successful fishing adventure. Now, I know what you're thinking – "How do I know which style of reel is right for me?" Well, fret not, fellow anglers! In this YouTube video, we're diving deep into the world of fishing reels, exploring the different types and their distinct advantages. So, grab your cup of coffee, sit back, and prepare to be reeled in!

First things first, let's talk about comfort and ease of use. We all know that fishing can be a physically demanding sport, so it's important to choose a winch that feels comfortable in your hands. Whether you're a seasoned pro or just starting out, finding a reel that suits your level of experience and age is crucial. Remember, there's no absolute answer or right or wrong choice here – it's all about what brings you joy and enhances your fishing experience.

Now, let's tackle the age-old debate between one to one reels and low profile level wind reels. Personally, I love the thrill of one to one reels while trolling. There's something exhilarating about battling it out with the fish, feeling every tug and pull. However, when it comes to jigging, I prefer to opt for small 30 lbs drag or better low profile level wind reels. They offer superior control and precision, allowing me to finesse my way into catching that elusive trophy fish. But hey, don't just take my word for it – experiment and find what works best for you!

Oh, and let's not forget about spinning reels. In certain circumstances, they are an angler's best friend. From casting lightweight lures to battling feisty fish, spinning reels provide versatility and ease of use. So, whether you're casting off the shore or trying your luck in a kayak or large powerboat, these reels will have you covered.

Lastly, let's talk about line capacity. Now, this is an important consideration, especially when targeting different species. Some fish require longer and stronger lines, while others may demand a delicate touch. So, before you hit the water, be sure to match your reel's line capacity with your desired target. Trust me, it can make a world of difference in landing that dream catch!

In conclusion, the choice of winch is a highly personal decision. It's about finding what feels right for you, considering your level of experience, age, and the type of fishing you enjoy. So, embrace the never-ending education that comes with fishing, and don't be afraid to try new things. After all, the joy of angling lies in the journey, the thrill of the chase, and the memories made along the way. So, anglers of the world, cast your lines and reel in adventure like never before!

Ps. great video...keep up the good work.
Wow, that is an amazing way to describe reels, I wish I had the gift to describe things like that!

Thank you as well about the video!

I like to use all three. Depends how I feel, and which rod I take.
My first pinky was on my south bend black beauty trolling reel.
But I'm thinking of putting leadcore line on it for Sheridan lake.

Oh! Happy new year to all!

Last edited:
That’s what I love about this topic! There’s no right answer. Everyone has what they like and works for them!

I like knuckle busters it take more skill to land a fish with them, level wind you can just keep cranking the handle. Personally it’s the fight of the fish ,letting run palming the reel as your drag. When I get a fish on I back the drag mostly off.

I like knuckle busters it take more skill to land a fish with them, level wind you can just keep cranking the handle. Personally it’s the fight of the fish ,letting run palming the reel as your drag. When I get a fish on I back the drag mostly off.
That's how I fish with my knuckle buster too, back the drag off and feel the fish!

Surprised nobody mentioned the audio component of a knuckbuster. I have a level wind that has a 4:1 retrieval ratio but I never use it, even when fishing deep because when I hook a fish all I get is a hiss when it peels off line

With my knucklebuster , despite its 1:1 retrieval ratio, I get a high-pitched scream that sounds like a stuck pig after a take-down--- it's the only reel I use precisely for the scream it makes on a fish. Same reason I chase steelhead with a fly reel--I love the sound of coffee in the grinder every time I hook a fishIMG_0369.jpeg

Surprised nobody mentioned the audio component of a knuckbuster. I have a level wind that has a 4:1 retrieval ratio but I never use it, even when fishing deep because when I hook a fish all I get is a hiss when it peels off line

With my knucklebuster , despite its 1:1 retrieval ratio, I get a high-pitched scream that sounds like a stuck pig after a take-down--- it's the only reel I use precisely for the scream it makes on a fish. Same reason I chase steelhead with a fly reel--I love the sound of coffee in the grinder every time I hook a fishView attachment 101556
I love the sound when a spring takes a run on my knuckle buster!

With these Eddystones, no need to ever use the phrase "fish on" to warn people away from your tack. They sound like an accelerating Kawasaki 500 ----I just wish they weren't so big and heavy. Meanwhile, they have such a slick drag system. I'm amazed nobody ever applied that idea to a smaller more manageable reel. Or maybe Hardy has a bullet-proof patent on that lever system?

IMG_5560.jpeg

Back