Re power

kanuckle head

In the love of your craft
How much $$ will you all spend to justify the best re power based on the worth of your vessel, less than half or in my case more than half, for I plan in keeping her till I live & breath
I do not claim to have the best boat but I dreamed to own this boat to it's fullest

If your not going to sell, spend as much as you want! The price only comes into play if you sell it and lose money. More time on the water and less break downs are worth it. Plus for the most part on older hulls your really paying for the power so new power make your boat worth more.

If your not going to sell, spend as much as you want! The price only comes into play if you sell it and lose money. More time on the water and less break downs are worth it. Plus for the most part on older hulls your really paying for the power so new power make your boat worth more.

How true, if you spend in your love the dollar that is lost is only calculated if it is sold, not in the pursuit for happiness

Yep and it's funny I don't mine taking a lose on boating and fishing its just part of the deal.

In my ordeal I plan on spending 3 times I bought my boat 4
I know if I were to sell I'd get only less on half of what i invested..........dam stupid Eh

But I just think on the enjoyable time to be sent & the reassurance that I can get back 60+ miles, of a venture

Do it brotha! If she's solid and its what you've always wanted...why not?

if it makes you feel better my motor is 3x the value of my hull...I'm hoping with good maintenance and 100 hours a year, if it runs for 10 years thats 2k per year for my scenario. pretty cheap investment in pure enjoyment I think

Last edited by a moderator:
Do it brotha! If she's solid and its what you've always wanted...why not?

if it makes you feel better my motor is 3x the value of my hull...I'm hoping with good maintenance and 100 hours a year, if it runs for 10 years thats 2k per year for my scenario. pretty cheap investment in pure enjoyment I think

Can't wait to see the update on your project Nick, as for me live with the 27mph WOT & ridiculous fuel consumption & uncertainty of reliability, or update & drop big coin???

Looked hard & researched long on the new Mercury TDI diesel as a stern drive
Great price from the boat show, showing that Merc is motivated to showcase it's new line of diesel after it's divorce from Cummings
In my opinion the TDI diesel has excelled in the VW automotive field but a high rev, light weight, automotive motor marinized built to run a 4500 lbs on the road @ 40-60 percent. will not attract me to run my 10K boat @ 70-90 percent, no matter what the break in price, specially if it is not proven in our north American market. Plus I live on the basis of built strong-last strong
Light weight high revs= high horsepower & unproven, to me spells disaster

Hate to stick to a gas pot but my option of diesel sterndrive is limited or else pod her and do outboards=much more coin

Decisions decisions ?????

those 3.0L TDI that are in the touaregs are beasts!!! 420ft/lbs Im guess that that is the same block your talking about. My wife has a VW diesel and they are great. Parts would be hard to find for any of the motors you listed if you got in a pinch somewhere. if you buy gas I would get MPI if you could.

Looked hard & researched long on the new Mercury TDI diesel as a stern drive
Great price from the boat show, showing that Merc is motivated to showcase it's new line of diesel after it's divorce from Cummings
In my opinion the TDI diesel has excelled in the VW automotive field but a high rev, light weight, automotive motor marinized built to run a 4500 lbs on the road @ 40-60 percent. will not attract me to run my 10K boat @ 70-90 percent, no matter what the break in price

Decisions decisions ?????
in the same ball park as you KH
as my V6 4.3l has seen better days
problem for me is new a new leg as well as the alpha don't cut it
the TDI needs bravo but silly thing is its 18k in europe and where getting quoted at 24K what gives there

One advantage to outboards is that if needed you can move to a different boat for less labor. Remember life is too short and you cannot predict anything happening, but you can prevent frusration during a time in life you should be enjoying the fruits of your labor. Get something reliable so when you go out you will not have fuel or reliablity issues to worry about.
Just my 2cents. :)

in the same ball park as you KH
as my V6 4.3l has seen better days
problem for me is new a new leg as well as the alpha don't cut it
the TDI needs bravo but silly thing is its 18k in europe and where getting quoted at 24K what gives there

Back