Poddables, keepers that need love and other misc hulls

Loghauler

I love the used boat for sale thread but it might be time to sort the big dollar boats
Sort of the good, bad and ugly lol
Thought I’d see what the herd thought
I for one would like to find a solid hull to rebuild like an older Grady or something similar to make my own
Yes I plan on keeping my 18’ but I would like to build a real ocean vessel something I can spend the summer on not a cabin cruiser but a real fishing boat that one can overnight on
And take for a tuna run boy would an older sailfish fit the bill eh
Just an idea would a klunker korner be of interest ?
Of course within reason no zombie boats lol

it takes a special type of person to take on a full build. Those people usually take on a thread of their own.

You very well may be one of those people!

Project boats do come up in the boats on used vic thread. I don’t think we can do any separating of boats for sale in terms of condition, price, hull composition etc or there will be 10 different boats for sale threads and that isn’t cool.

If you are looking for a specific hull for yourself please feel free to start a thread on what you want and we will keep our eyes peeled for you. The only catch is when we find it you have to do the build thread on it.

what my esteemed colleague @Stizzla means by “special” is “crazy with deep pockets! ”

it’s unreal how expensive the fibreglass matting and epoxies have gotten. but we all love a good build thread!!
the rules are:
- no flybridges
- no notches.
- it must be podded and,
- you must be willing to endure at least three pages of discussion on where to mount your downriggers!
AND THE MOST IMPORTANT:
- You MUST take it 90% of the way and then bail on the project.

Other than that: your boat is your empty canvas!!

Enjoy!!

Oh ya make it difficult lol
If you think building a boat is difficult to do try a logging truck my first one was twenty years old and a 110 g later and ya it would have made a neat thread but not on here lol
And doing the fibreglass was the easiest part !
Had to build a gantry hoist to remove the bigger parts because of the weight involved
Does that make me special I never considered it that way it’s just my hobby making something better than it was or could be.took three days to sand blast it lol that’s a miserable job lol
Would I do it again probably not on a logging truck
As I’ve chosen a love of boating and fishing that alone makes us all special ! Who else spends more than it costs to go get our own when it’s cheaper to buy at the dock/store

I was just thinking it might be nice to have a klunker korner
Not get called special for the thought
And yes I’m always shopping

There have been a few threads started where they tried to separate based on dollar amount. All were deleted in time. The consensus seemed to be to keep it all in one place. However a pod thread is different, it might stick. But as mentioned, individual pod projects or build threads already have their own place.

The problem with sorting the boats into different threads is it reduces engagement. I also try to not implicitly say this is a $10 boat since it may be a members and when someone has spent tens of thousands it stings! https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PLTlAhsWfj8B-CcRmy-Xf9hchzY-YpXP5H&si=5ES8a6cA_5YXIZfJ

Did you see the big 28 or so boat for sale in Tofino? It has a pod already.

If I was doing it, I’d go for that 26 commander (10 foot beam) for sale with the legs off for 8k or so. I personally think it’s worth $10. Only problem is I don’t think I could take another commander abandonment, although members have been known to take over and finish a project.

Looking forward to your adventure!

Oh ya make it difficult lol
If you think building a boat is difficult to do try a logging truck my first one was twenty years old and a 110 g later and ya it would have made a neat thread but not on here lol
And doing the fibreglass was the easiest part !
Had to build a gantry hoist to remove the bigger parts because of the weight involved
Does that make me special I never considered it that way it’s just my hobby making something better than it was or could be.took three days to sand blast it lol that’s a miserable job lol
Would I do it again probably not on a logging truck
As I’ve chosen a love of boating and fishing that alone makes us all special ! Who else spends more than it costs to go get our own when it’s cheaper to buy at the dock/store

I was just thinking it might be nice to have a klunker korner
Not get called special for the thought
And yes I’m always shopping
I’m just having some fun with you ! That’s amazing about that truck! what kind was it? my dad was a logger and ran a grapple yarder.

There’s something special about restoring your own boat, something you can’t buy, it’s a lot of fun when you have nothing but green lights ahead of you. Yes it can be frustrating but that usually happens when you are relying on someone else.
Here’s a pic that will make half the forum cry, and give the other a hard on at the same time.
I still have a hard on for this boat LoL
This pic was taken on the weekend,
Getting ready for the next phase of the build 🤪, again
@baddogg I need some prayers LoL

IMG_7610.jpeg

There’s something special about restoring your own boat, something you can’t buy, it’s a lot of fun when you have nothing but green lights ahead of you. Yes it can be frustrating but that usually happens when you are relying on someone else.
Here’s a pic that will make half the forum cry, and give the other a hard on at the same time.
I still have a hard on for this boat LoL
This pic was taken on the weekend,
Getting ready for the next phase of the build 🤪, again
@baddogg I need some prayers LoL

View attachment 98295
Let me know when I can start sending you power options. Twin 150 suzuki's have the same powerhead as the 200's and are as low as 11k USD right now. Wicked build, continue on!

88 Kenworth w900 425 cat dynoed after rebuild with 425 at the wheels
tandem pulling a jeep and tri axle
Wish I never sold it no electronics
I’m not upset just most have the wrong idea I don’t want all boats sorted just a thread for the builders and project style boats and it was only a thought I like looking at big dollar boats too
What I really want is a GW with twin chevys so I can do crate 383s just like my pickup
Lots of torque
I ran chevys at our track before they closed and rebuilt several no team just me and didn’t miss a race plus drove full time
My favourite thing to do is make something better than it was but I won’t start with a turd lol

88 Kenworth w900 425 cat dynoed after rebuild with 425 at the wheels
tandem pulling a jeep and tri axle
Wish I never sold it no electronics
I’m not upset just most have the wrong idea I don’t want all boats sorted just a thread for the builders and project style boats and it was only a thought I like looking at big dollar boats too
What I really want is a GW with twin chevys so I can do crate 383s just like my pickup
Lots of torque
I ran chevys at our track before they closed and rebuilt several no team just me and didn’t miss a race plus drove full time
My favourite thing to do is make something better than it was but I won’t start with a turd lol
When did GW last make inboards? Is there a model you like of theirs?

What about Bertram? Did you watch the LS swapped Italian yacht from B is for Build?

450 $ to make two surf boards with my boys when my boys were11 and 13 watching them get up for the first time at long beach priceless and they will keep them forever
Memories and Goals

I’ve got a brand new Ls2 block and crank never had a bolt in it yet for my 2010 Camaro
Currently v6
It is currently in my living room

Last edited:
I will document the refit on my 18’er plan on raising the windshield so a person can stand up under the Bimini haven’t decided yet if I’m gonna do a tower for radar or just small hard top to attach the canvas Bimini to it definitely gonna change seats to two swivel style and keep the back bench for a cooler and seats on either side so it seats four still and making a removable hardtop for the bow rider and two electric downriggers it has a Chrysler head with a merc leg it was the last year of the force line after merc bought them out it’s a great engine lots of power for it and it’s only issue with the power head ( so I’ve been told by a well respected red seal boat mechanic) is the head gasket can be weak but I compression test it regularly and it’s good so far but it’s also less than five hundred hours as well
Mopar on a merc lol that should get everybody wound up lol
Been a great boat and will be better when I’m done

I noticed you start a thread about poddables, but you want to do a boat with twin sterndrives. It should be worth watching.

;)
Reason being I thought the pod crowd would jump all in lol
Ya I know some people don’t like stern drive but it’s more about the power I want
Twin 383 should put me in the 800 to 900 hp and torque should be similar
Not to mention the sound wow !

The problem with sorting the boats into different threads is it reduces engagement. I also try to not implicitly say this is a $10 boat since it may be a members and when someone has spent tens of thousands it stings! https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PLTlAhsWfj8B-CcRmy-Xf9hchzY-YpXP5H&si=5ES8a6cA_5YXIZfJ

Did you see the big 28 or so boat for sale in Tofino? It has a pod already.

If I was doing it, I’d go for that 26 commander (10 foot beam) for sale with the legs off for 8k or so. I personally think it’s worth $10. Only problem is I don’t think I could take another commander abandonment, although members have been known to take over and finish a project.

Looking forward to your adventure!
Neat videos lots to learn there

If I won the lottery I’d be tempted to buy a big shop in nanimo and do a boat shop
Fish Bros here I come lol
Except I wouldn’t be quite as greasy lol
But a marine mech service boat or two and a charter company just think of all the drama
Think beach combers meets rust Bros meets bitchen rides !
What a show !!!!
Would be a hit for sure maybe throw in a fishing lodge for good measure done with the love boat theme every time it cuts to the lodge and hey winner winner chicken dinner lol
Yes my brain works this way lol

Back