Queen Charlotte's Fishing!

Thanks for the kind words! I had fun making the video too - I took along 2 GoPros, numerous mounts, 4 SD cards, 12 batteries, 4 dual chargers etc and spent a couple hours each night recharging and dumping data to a backup hard drive. The memories captured were worth it. BigBird007 hope this helps give you an idea about what it is like up at Langara!

One of the reasons I chose Langara is that the fishing grounds are so close to the lodges and given the wind direction you will always have a safe place to fish. One really calm day we circum-navigated the entire island in 35 minutes. When we went we got lucky with low winds and spent a lot of time on the west side fishing lacy and fish bowl/cape knox areas. It seemed to be where the larger chinook were hanging out that week. I spoke to a few people that had fished langara a couple times prior and never had the opportunity to fish the west side due to wind. Sometimes the west is shut down for all but the largest guide boats. The more popular spots like coho pt, andrews pt, macpherson pt etc are all along the east side of the island along with other sheltered hot spots along graham island shoreline.

Here are a few things you should know - We chose to fish with west coast fishing club that equip their boats with downriggers because they are familiar to us and we thought they would be an advantage. 2 of the 5 days we found fish in the 80-120ft depths off Lacy and in my opinion that would be a lot of line off the reel if mooching with just 8oz weights in the currents. Most hookups with chinook were 40-80 on the downrigger with 60ft being the magic number most times. We fished with one dummy flasher on one of the downriggers and while I'm confident it drew in fish, the line hooked up to that downrigger got the LEAST amount of hits - very interesting. Even if you use downriggers be sure to use a 3rd weighted rod off the stern. Both large fish (and several others) hit the back rod set at 10-12 pulls and if we weren't using that shallow weighted line the outcome of trip would have likely been different. There is a reason why Langara boats don't think its necessary to use downriggers! Radio chatter is very secretive, guides wont give away their locations on the radio unless its a place they aren't catching. Know your charts and all the hot spots before you go. Tides are extremely important in terms of figuring out where to fish, certain spots produce better on an ebb vs flood. If you read through the archive of reports on langara's website and west coast fishing club's website you will start learning the location and names of fishing spots and the tides they fish best and this is especially important if you are fishing unguided up there for the first time.

Learn how to cut plug a herring before you go so you don't waste time on the water trying to get it right. There is a reason why every guide up there uses cut plug herring the majority of the time. We normally fish with gear and brought a lot of spoons with us and while we did catch several on some AP needlefish spoons, an XL cut plug herring was the clear winner. It's the proven presentation of choice up there, don't deviate from that too much!

Finally, as much as the lodge owners like to stay quiet on the subject - Sea lions are a big issue. Sea lions pretty much shut down fishing at andrews pt and machperson pt while we were there. If sea lions are in the water at a fishing spot, you might as well move along. If enough boats are in the area you can hope that someone else hooks up before you and distracts the lion while you play your fish. To avoid lions a lot of guys are fishing a little farther offshore and a little deeper but having said that we were always able to find some good water and not have them interfere too much. I think we only lost 4 fish to lions. There are about a dozen popular fishing locations to cycle around. Hope this helps!

THANK YOU !! Awesome vid that brought back great memories of my time in the QCI.

The guided boats will have better gear and local knowledge. If you going to do it yourself out of QCL bring your own cut plug rigs run a tack from bird 1, bird 2, and the channel at Shag rock. Drag the channel only with the current, stay in the 90 - 110 ft range and run the gear at 60.

Bret

Just had a look at your great video FishTactics~ thank you! Brought back memories of many years of fishing Langara with a lot of friends [some not with us now] and as you noted one of the most important parts of fishing are the places it takes you and the memories you create. Wonderful.

Thanks! Glad I was able to bring back some fond memories of fishing up that way for a few of you! It truly is a magical place, can't wait to go back some day!

Got my Haida Gwaii trip set for last three days of July. Will be fishing the area around west entrance of Skidegate Channel. Nice ride out and back each day and a good mix of springs and hali to be had.

I have been to Haida Gwaii fishing about 9+ times over the last 7 years. Its my favorite place in the world. I have fished with Naden lodge. QCL, Cartright sound Charters, & a small owner operator one when I brought the family up for vacation. Each one is great & a different experience.
If you want BIG Springs, then I would fish out of Masset with Naden lodge. These guys are trophy hunters & are some of the best out of masset. They don't even have aq flasher on the boat. Instead they cut plug while grinding Kelp. Biggest fish so far was 44 lbs, & a couple mid 30's.

QCL is nice, but a much more commercial experience. I did it a couple of times & liked it. I personally love the self guided fishing & because I stayed on the driftwood I got to fish ~ 16hrs/d.

If you fish out of Skidegate then you will have at least 2.5hrs a day travel & have to move on the tides. Its good fishing out on the west side, but the travel sucked...

This June I am going up to Hippa Lodge with WCR. They now only offer fully guided fishing. I am excited about the trip & am looking forward to fishing the west side & being able to target so many species. I have concerns over what the guide will be like. I'm a guy who goes up there to fish & has some of my own gear I like running. I even have a Deep Drop electric reel for xmas I am excited to try out up there & have concerns he wont let me try it. Its on my bucket list to fish for Sablefish at ~2000' of water & better be able to do it. Also I even bring up my Flex/Fold prawn trap & plan on setting that out while I am there.

Loved the video, brought back so many fond memories of multiple trips to Langara Is. Having also worked 3 full seasons at Hippa in the 90's and multiple trips to Kano & Englefield, I'd say the choice is really all about water conditions. Many days at Hippa you'll be fishing 2 - 4m seas all day long if you want to consistently catch fish. Langara does indeed have much calmer water available most of the time. Each location has tons of fish, or not so many on any given day or week just like anywhere else, except that in Haida Gwaii tons means TONS! You can always choose not to use the downriggers and just mooch, or fish with Langara Lodge - which would be my 1st choice up there nowadays.

If you fish out of Skidegate then you will have at least 2.5hrs a day travel & have to move on the tides. Its good fishing out on the west side, but the travel sucked...

Hmm, was about 45 minutes each way for us to entrance to Skidegate Inlet, never needed to go any further to get limits.

Hmm, was about 45 minutes each way for us to entrance to Skidegate Inlet, never needed to go any further to get limits.

Well I am off on my travel times then. It was about 8yrs ago & I remember it being longer. When you fished there did you hang out at the entrance (west side) near "moose tooth" or did you venture out? I recall us having to put some miles on to find halibut.

We fished maybe 0.5-1 km inside the mouth of the inlet, mostly south shore along a rock bluff known locally as The Wall. Barely in from open water, you could easily see open horizon - next stop Japan. You're right though about the tides, the narrows en route are unnavigable at low tides. That can affect fishing times to some degree, we were leaving 8:30-9 am because of this. Didn't stop us from hooking into seemingly endless 15-25 lb springs in shallow clear water, numerous double headers and all on cut plugs for exciting battles.

Lots of halis around the corner from Skidegate channel to the north west off the island ( cant remember the name-- but its pretty prominent) 125-250 ft in depth for the hali. Closer to the island there are some large black rockfish

Last edited:
We got a couple of large halis right in the same area we were trolling for salmon. Swell and wind were a bit much for comfortable operations outside so we gave it a shot in 100-120 ft of water with some salmon belly. We had two hookups in minutes, sadly both were well in excess of the slot limit.

Back