Qualicum Rivers Chinooks

We fished Friday and the Labour day weekend - only 'bite' was at the Little Q Saturday morning and it looked like most boats got fish or some hits ...the rest of the time only one small feeder off Tribune Bay....incidentally all the fish caught were deeper than usual at the Q...between 45 and 90 feet. One guy I saw at the Deep Bay dock who seemed to get fish when no one else was said that he used a mini-pink/red hootchie inside a full size purple haze hootchie with a purple haze flasher....fact or fiction I don't know but may be worth a try if nothing else is working.

We fished Friday and the Labour day weekend - only 'bite' was at the Little Q Saturday morning and it looked like most boats got fish or some hits ...the rest of the time only one small feeder off Tribune Bay....incidentally all the fish caught were deeper than usual at the Q...between 45 and 90 feet. One guy I saw at the Deep Bay dock who seemed to get fish when no one else was said that he used a mini-pink/red hootchie inside a full size purple haze hootchie with a purple haze flasher....fact or fiction I don't know but may be worth a try if nothing else is working.

The qualicum killer!!

Fished LQ tonight. Didn't see any caught, but a couple boats said they got one or two. We had 3 pin poppers that didn't hook up. Lots of shaker coho.
Will give it another try next week.

Hey everyone, picked up a nice 15 Lb. Chinook tonight at the Little "Q", seen another one caught at dusk. What a Beautiful evening...I'll take the Qualicum Rivers over the Alberni Inlet any day of the week-Less boats, flater water, and as good of fishing in my opinion...Home Sweet Home!

Western Star

Hey everyone, picked up a nice 15 Lb. Chinook tonight at the Little "Q", seen another one caught at dusk. What a Beautiful evening...I'll take the Qualicum Rivers over the Alberni Inlet any day of the week-Less boats, flater water, and as good of fishing in my opinion...Home Sweet Home!

Western Star

Amen to that!

Gave it another shot tonight. Only one other boat out there. Managed to go one for one. Not big, maybe 12 lbs, at 80' in 180' of water. Will give it another try in a few days.

Gave it another shot tonight. Only one other boat out there. Managed to go one for one. Not big, maybe 12 lbs, at 80' in 180' of water. Will give it another try in a few days.

We've been waiting and waiting fora good report. I am sure this rain didnt help! Back to trolling around the harbour for us!

Lorne

I'm actually hoping for the opposite...doesn't look like the bulk of the fish have shown up yet...this rain could be a good thing if the sun now stays for a while (no rain on the forecast until the 25th).
Maybe I'm being overly optimistic, but still hoping.
Might be looking for a crew for first light Saturday if anyone's interested.

Last edited by a moderator:
I was out there last night for the evening NON bite, didn't see a net come out. Lots of weeds in the water last night, gorgeous for the sunset and boat ride though.

I picked up a nice spring tonight right at sunset, red/chrome flasher and a pink squirt hootchie. My neighbor did the 1st light till 1:30 shift with nothing. I was the only fish I saw landed from 5:30 till sunset

Lots of fish surfacing. For fun or chased by seals.. I was casting but couldnt get one to bite. Fished a bit north and got my first coho from shore! You guys have great fishing opportunities up there.

Went out last night fished the little q for about 1 hour nothing, nothing on the sounder,only about 5 boats and never saw a net in the water, ran up to the big q just before dark, only 4 boats and the same thing.

i was there last night, fish after sun went behind the trees showing on the Structure scan, just a couple under size. I saw no nets in the water.Try tomorrow night.

have you guys noticed that there are very few or no jellyfish in the waters around the little and big q's, there has always been lots of them at this time of year.

I noticed there are hardly any P-Cod around right now.........haven't caught one this year yet.

Last year they were on a blitzkrieg.....

I noticed there are hardly any P-Cod around right now.........haven't caught one this year yet.

Last year they were on a blitzkrieg.....

I fished Big Q almost every day for two weeks at the end of August and caught only 1. Like you, last year I could not keep the bloody things off. LOL

One thing I did notice this year was there were a LOT of immature Coho, more than most years I found.

Back