Qualicum Rivers Chinooks

French Creek Salmon Derby Aug/24-26, 2012...
Hey everyone, just a little reminder that we'll be having another local salmon derby at the end of the month. Derby headquarters will be at the French Creek Marine Pub. Tickets are $10.00/Rod, tickets available at French Creek Marina Store- (250) 248-8912, or French Creek Marine Pub-(250) 248-3713. There will be a daily largest salmon prize, as well as daily hidden weight prizes. An overall largest salmon prize, as well as a great prize table that all entrants can enter. All proceeds go to the Marion Baker Fish Hatchery on French Creek. The salmon fishing has picked up lately, with some salmon moving in on the Qualicum Rivers...Hope you can make it!
Western Star

French Creek Salmon Derby Aug/24-26, 2012...
Hey everyone, just a little reminder that we'll be having another local salmon derby at the end of the month. Derby headquarters will be at the French Creek Marine Pub. Tickets are $10.00/Rod, tickets available at French Creek Marina Store- (250) 248-8912, or French Creek Marine Pub-(250) 248-3713. There will be a daily largest salmon prize, as well as daily hidden weight prizes. An overall largest salmon prize, as well as a great prize table that all entrants can enter. All proceeds go to the Marion Baker Fish Hatchery on French Creek. The salmon fishing has picked up lately, with some salmon moving in on the Qualicum Rivers...Hope you can make it!
Western Star

Ill probably be fishing this!!

who else is in?

SIdebets?

Lorne

I was an observer from shore yesterday so I don't know. Too bagged from playing golf all day.... It's a tough life, I tell ya. Back out tonight though.

Fished big Q last night and landed one. Didn't see anyone else tag into anything. Slow night but great to be on the water

.....When I had my 16' double eagle I would launch at the Qualicum free launch on the beach (right beside the ice cream place) - 7 mins and you are at little Q. Tides are usually high at night so never a big deal. If it is wavy you get wet feet but when the weather is nice who cares right? free parking and save on fuel. I have launched my 18.5 Double Eagle there too without any issue. just make sure you GPS the spot as returning in the dark can feel strange.
Hi gents,
Is French Creek still the launch site for this fishery? I've downsized to a 16ft CC glass boat and am not going to make the run from FC. If there was something closer I might give it a go.
Thanks
RBF

Qualicum Free Launch.......you are absolutely darn tootin' that tide is everything at that launch.....you DO NOt want to be coming in on a low tide there.....you'll never make it.

I've seen two guys with boats behind four-by-fours get stuck there.

Personally I would not even bother attempting to launch at that place.

Go from French Creek......and have some peace of mind.

Back in the good ol' days they used to launch from the ice-cream stand ramp......but they had a tractor with HUGE wheels that would come out and tow you in.
That was when it was a Coho mecca....and there were pilings and docks there where people tied up.

All the movie stars used to come up here and bucktail for Coho......

Gone,baby, gone.....Sayonara Mrs. Calabash.......

Fished at big Q today from 8-2. Landed one real nice one, 24 pounds. Hit it at about 11:30 am. Landed it on a cop car hootchie behind a cop car flasher. In 30 feet of water, gear down 25 feet. She hit like crazy, and just ran for the beach.
Lots of fish jumping and large Chinook surfacing. There was about 10 boats out there. Saw one other boat with a solid bite but don't think they netted it. If I figure out this computer box I'll post a pic.

Last edited by a moderator:
French Creek Salmon Derby Boundaries Map

Hey everyone, here is a map of the French Creek Salmon Derby Boundaries.

Western Star

Attachments

• boundaries.jpg
    boundaries.jpg
    84.1 KB · Views: 80
LureWasher:- you could try Googling "Nile Creek Flyshop".....he seems to continually know what's going on in the Q's.....

Here's a report...fishing stinks! I am fishing as i write this. Ive been fishing around six hours a day and have had very little luck for the past four days. A few friends and i have been coming here for several years and this has been by far the worst. So far we have caught only three keepers and the biggest was only 14 lbs. They just arent here yet :( we havent seen a single net out in four days
. Wish me luck we are here for five more days.

there's still hope...best year I've had out there (Little Q) was 2006 and it didn't really turn on until the second week of September...that fishery totally depends on the weather. If it stays dry, the fishing gets really good...if it starts raining at the end of August/early September and doesn't stop, the fishery never happens.

Fished little q late yesterday afternoon 4:30-7:30. managed to pick up a 10# 83 ft in 90 ft water, mp-15 31 inch leader green flasher and lost another just seconds befor this one hit water was flat

there's still hope...best year I've had out there (Little Q) was 2006 and it didn't really turn on until the second week of September...that fishery totally depends on the weather. If it stays dry, the fishing gets really good...if it starts raining at the end of August/early September and doesn't stop, the fishery never happens.

Had some time to kill yesterday, so did a little digging. 2006: no rain from Aug 9 until Sept 9...September 11 through the 16th was the best fishing I've seen there. This year is looking similar, weather wise. First rain forcast for September is the 12th. Not sure if this info is relevant or not...guess we'll find out in a week or so.
I'm heading to the Little Q thurs evening, not really expecting much but we'll see.

Sounds good in theory I know its slow in Comox Harbour also stiil picking up the odd one or two but only time will tell always nice to fish in the back yard definately less fuel burn. Really itching to do a burn down south to big Q one evening its such a blast when its on. Give us a Report from tonight, Im going to try out here.

Back