Proposal By DFO - Changes to Prawn Daily Rec. Limit Being Considered

And, the Prawn Manager has set a deadline for response from the SFAB prior to when the Main Board SFAB meeting is scheduled. Talk about a complete lack of respect and understanding for how the SFAB process works. The letter inviting SFAB consultation is just a token - the decision it appears is already made with no actual science to back up the foundation DFO used to approach the SFAB asking to reduce the limit to 100!

Pat-- Nothing personal but I have heard that excuse "The SFAB is an "Advisory" process" too many times over the years. The time has come that the SFAB should not fall back on excuses that get us nowhere. The SFAB NEEDS to be part of the movement to tell DFO "enough" You rightly say its "Time to stop sitting back and taking it" I agree. But if all the SAFAB is willing to do is sit back and just go cap in hand to DFO-- then I dont see the relevance any more. A strong statement to DFO and the Minister is needed NOW !

Nailed it...as much as I really do enjoy DFO's rep we deal with, it needs to turn more hostile and make them realize we aren't going to take this **** anymore. Period. IMO we also need to consolidate groups to make one group every recreational angler, guide or not, can be a part of and organize protests, harbour blockades, etc.

Packing up and going out solo wouldn’t even be worth it anymore.
You’d also need need to bring your neighbor’s kids and get a fishing licence for your dog to make it worth while :’(
My wife has already said she will take her knitting with her and go prawning with me.. that is from a gal that is not fond of boating , but loves prawns ! I wonder how many "new" fishers will this idiotic proposal create ?

Well then the response can be done prior to the meeting.
The answer as Bryan has stated is NO.
No to a reduction and No to any talks on the subject till they provide science and time to do a complete analysis.

And, the Prawn Manager has set a deadline for response from the SFAB prior to when the Main Board SFAB meeting is scheduled. Talk about a complete lack of respect and understanding for how the SFAB process works. The letter inviting SFAB consultation is just a token - the decision it appears is already made with no actual science to back up the foundation DFO used to approach the SFAB asking to reduce the limit to 100!

My wife has already said she will take her knitting with her and go prawning with me.. that is from a gal that is not fond of boating , but loves prawns ! I wonder how many "new" fishers will this idiotic proposal create ?

I can tell you there is a lot more young kids and women fishers this year fishing for Chinook! in the SOG and overnight trips!

These type of daily deductions primarily only affect people that go out with guides

I can tell you there is a lot more young kids and women fishers this year fishing for Chinook! in the SOG and overnight trips!

These type of daily deductions primarily only affect people that go out with guides

These daily deductions will affect everyone that enjoys the resource.

These daily deductions will affect everyone that enjoys the resource.

Yeah they do but the public tends to work around them if the abundance is out there to support multiple trips.

Whereas if you are not lucky enough to own a boat, A trip with a guide in the winter (SOG) last year would of yield 200 pawns and 2 Chinook, Next year 100 pawns and 1 Chinook.

Sockeye on the Fraser this year had a daily retention of 2, if they changed it two 1, or 4 I doubt the over all exploitation would of changed dramatically.

When did people stop? when their freezers were full

CL post is basically the same when will he stop fishing for pawns? when him and his wife decide they have enough.

Last edited:
Yeah they do but the public tends to work around them if the abundance is out there to support multiple trips.

Whereas if you are not lucky enough to own a boat, A trip with a guide in the winter (SOG) last year would of yield 200 pawns and 2 Chinook, Next year 100 pawns and 1 Chinook.

Sockeye on the Fraser this year had a daily retention of 2, if they changed it two 1, or 4 I doubt the over all exploitation would of changed dramatically.

When did people stop? when their freezers were full

CL post is basically the same when will he stop fishing for pawns? when him and his wife decide they have enough.

Absolutely right....we dont abuse the resource, but we fail to see how turning over a bigger percentage to the FN and commercials has anything to do with conservation. We will take what we need within a two person limit.....

You are correct. We will still use the resource as we have in the past. What will change is how we access the resource. Example: A two or three day trip up the coast in search of prawns is twice as attractive with the current possession limits. With the new proposed limits the fuel costs are more likely going to limit these trips for me. Especially when I can go 5 minutes out of the harbor and get 100 prawns for dinner. I would rather make a couple overnight trips with the family enjoy the sights and experiences our coast has to offer than 10 day trips out front. Either way I will hopefully get enough to enjoy through out the year and leave enough for years to come. Boating/fishing is a passion for most of us. If it was only boating and no fishing I would still have a boat but hopefully it never comes to that.

As CL point out this **** is a giant kick in the balls especially when they hide it behind the guise of conservation.

Pretty sure its all about the politics. We had a meeting in Powell River today about lack of a SFAB representation. Looks like it's time to get involved. You have no right to complain if your not willing to be part of the solution.

Nailed it...as much as I really do enjoy DFO's rep we deal with, it needs to turn more hostile and make them realize we aren't going to take this **** anymore. Period. IMO we also need to consolidate groups to make one group every recreational angler, guide or not, can be a part of and organize protests, harbour blockades, etc.

The impression I got from a meeting I was at today was that the dfo rep is sypathetic to our concerns BUT the lobbiests and big business have way more influence than a sport fisherman. It will take a lot of pubic opinion to change that point of view.

Public opinion or moving away from 5-person board meetings and forcing DFO to go digital like our neighbors to the south so we harness a lot more of our 300,000 voices? Yeah, big business money talks, but 300,000 votes would scare the **** out of any political party if it’s organized and riled up!

Cheers!

Ukee

OK people-- how many of you have written the Minister ?? Be honest.
Better yet, when you write the Minister how many send copies of your concerns to the Opposition critics?

Public opinion or moving away from 5-person board meetings and forcing DFO to go digital like our neighbors to the south so we harness a lot more of our 300,000 voices? Yeah, big business money talks, but 300,000 votes would scare the **** out of any political party if it’s organized and riled up!

Cheers!

Ukee
It looking more and more like the rec fishery needs to organize itself into a single entity much like the BCWF. Where is there a strong lobbing voice coming from the rec sector? If someone knows where that is at present please point that out. If it does exist we are not hearing any effective support from that organization. Its obvious DFO has decided to focus on the rec fishery as the easy fix as its latest management approach. At their current pace there will barely be rec fishery left within a few years. DFO knows we don't have voice and knows we are the weakest link in the chain. I may be off on stats but my understanding on the pie is that the rec fishery represents 10% of the catch but generates huge tourist/community dollars. Perhaps what I'm saying can be corrected but in my opinion a single voice representing thousands of people and communities would make it more difficult for the DFO, feds, and media to ignore. We need that single credible rec fishery voice at the table. Unpleasant as it may be, if we don't organize we are going to get trampled over. Writing an MLA as an individual is a good thing but as UD points out facing a large organization with the potential of losing thousands of votes will scare the **** out of them.

Pretty sure its all about the politics. We had a meeting in Powell River today about lack of a SFAB representation. Looks like it's time to get involved. You have no right to know mcomplain if your not willing to be part of the solution.
I’m surprised Rick Steen isn’t leading the charge. He has vast knowledge of the fishery with many years of experience

Back