Proposal By DFO - Changes to Prawn Daily Rec. Limit Being Considered

I am one of the Washington State shrimp advisors. We get only a few days a year with an 80 a day prawn limit. We were able to gain more days in the San Juan Islands and Strait of Juan de Fuca. It's still tough but we have a 70% rec and 30% coml for the non tribal 50%. Our tribes get 50%. But we have just too many people here.

I do a lot of work on all fisheries. I am big into halibut. I think way back when BC halibut went 88% commercial 12% rec. It's my understanding in BC you can trace almost all of saltwater commercial buyers down to being owned by one or two people. Sounds like it's trying to go the way the halibut did. Follow the money. Good luck my friends. Start with the news and facebook.

I am one of the Washington State shrimp advisors. We get only a few days a year with an 80 a day prawn limit. We were able to gain more days in the San Juan Islands and Strait of Juan de Fuca. It's still tough but we have a 70% rec and 30% coml for the non tribal 50%. Our tribes get 50%. But we have just too many people here.

I do a lot of work on all fisheries. I am big into halibut. I think way back when BC halibut went 88% commercial 12% rec. It's my understanding in BC you can trace almost all of saltwater commercial buyers down to being owned by one or two people. Sounds like it's trying to go the way the halibut did. Follow the money. Good luck my friends. Start with the news and facebook.

Sage advice indeed. We are heading toward the Washington State experience...its just a matter of time. As our Halibut TAC continues to decline, mark my words, we will be seeing such little TAC that we have to go to 1 fish and shorten the season length to get a decent quality fishery...same too with prawns and other fisheries. The scary thing is the rec community will just sit back and watch it happen. Very few people will actually get involved and try to make a difference.

The SFAB is an "Advisory" process to the Minister. Its not a lobby group. We can and must make our views known through the official advisory process, but we also have to lobby via our NGO groups.

That's why some of the NGO groups are banding together to plan media campaigns, social media and community outreach to business leaders to tell the recreational fishery story. Time to stop sitting back and taking it.

Time for us to reach out to various communities and build strong Third Party Endorsers who will help carry an independent message of the value the recreational fishery brings to their local economies and communities.

That's how we are going to take the fight on Critical Habitat forward...the same is possible for other fisheries issues if we get organized and buck up the $$ necessary to make it happen.

Sage advice indeed. We are heading toward the Washington State experience...its just a matter of time. As our Halibut TAC continues to decline, mark my words, we will be seeing such little TAC that we have to go to 1 fish and shorten the season length to get a decent quality fishery...same too with prawns and other fisheries. The scary thing is the rec community will just sit back and watch it happen. Very few people will actually get involved and try to make a difference.

The SFAB is an "Advisory" process to the Minister. Its not a lobby group. We can and must make our views known through the official advisory process, but we also have to lobby via our NGO groups.

That's why some of the NGO groups are banding together to plan media campaigns, social media and community outreach to business leaders to tell the recreational fishery story. Time to stop sitting back and taking it.

Time for us to reach out to various communities and build strong Third Party Endorsers who will help carry an independent message of the value the recreational fishery brings to their local economies and communities.

That's how we are going to take the fight on Critical Habitat forward...the same is possible for other fisheries issues if we get organized and buck up the $$ necessary to make it happen.

Pat-- Nothing personal but I have heard that excuse "The SFAB is an "Advisory" process" too many times over the years. The time has come that the SFAB should not fall back on excuses that get us nowhere. The SFAB NEEDS to be part of the movement to tell DFO "enough" You rightly say its "Time to stop sitting back and taking it" I agree. But if all the SAFAB is willing to do is sit back and just go cap in hand to DFO-- then I dont see the relevance any more. A strong statement to DFO and the Minister is needed NOW !

It’s kinda advisory/lobby/consulting

Here’s the deal tho we should not let DFO dictate the tone or the objectives.

During the Sara steelhead meeting the Sara team and DFO touted the Sfac as thee process to get your voice herd. In fact they even used the process to drive home the fact that that is how they have talked to sports fishermen and the opinions their represented all of sports fishermen.

It they give us option A or option B we should not resign our selfs to accepting said options because it’s an advisory process. If the message the The Sfac is a stern F U we want option C. Then we should push that though

We should not let them be able to then say well we consulted the sports fishing groups and they were all good with option B because that’s the only choice they gave us.

I think this is what CL is saying. Is that they set out the agenda and then say well we talked to them and they all agreed. Yet in reality all they did was lay out all the different items and we just sat their and got bent over.

I also agree that we need our ngo groups and funding to directly lobby the government and the media as well.

Where are they? I have been calling for them to do something all summer, so far I have not seen anything from the groups I belong to. I do believe in a concentrated and organized approach. I will get behind them if they ever go public, but at this point, I will believe it when I see it. Like @Cuba Libre my patience is wearing thin

Meaning ?????

I get tired of the lets do something with this forum talk. All talk and no action except keyboard strokes. Still waiting for the magical group to lead us since SFAB and the other groups are not doing enough, and process sucks. As a member and SFAC you know we aren't a lobby group. I disagree with you that everyone is just going along with what DFO says. It is ridiculous to even imply it.

Where are they? I have been calling for them to do something all summer, so far I have not seen anything from the groups I belong to. I do believe in a concentrated and organized approach. I will get behind them if they ever go public, but at this point, I will believe it when I see it. Like @Cuba Libre my patience is wearing thin

Then do something then. What are you waiting for?

Then do something then. What are you waiting for?

Where do you donate time/money too ? I’ve tried to get into a meeting (in the okanagan) but that was a complete flop due to poor planning and notification. Donated to my group of choice (which will remain unnamed but I will say shows you NO support if your off island. ) three years in a row and nothing! In fact catch limits have been and less less each year. I won’t be throwing awa.... hmm donating anymore money to them.... looking to give my cash to an organization that has some teeth and will have an actual impact. The old “ at least we’re still allowed.... and “could be worse” doesn’t cut it anymore. Suggestions? And I don’t wannna hear “go to a meeting” or “get involved”. I’m looking for a group that will use my cash for some real results.

Clint, two groups that come to mind.

Sturgeon Society, they are responsible for press on City News this morning saying to DFO that the netting on the Fraser has to stop as it is killing sturgeon.
Pictures of nets with dead salmon and sturgeon.

This is the other group, https://www.sportfishingbc.com/foru...-group-calling-for-seal-sea-lion-quota.71390/

They have moved fast and already got approval to harvest 30 seals.
No one ever thought that would happen.

I get tired of the lets do something with this forum talk. All talk and no action except keyboard strokes. Still waiting for the magical group to lead us since SFAB and the other groups are not doing enough, and process sucks. As a member and SFAC you know we aren't a lobby group. I disagree with you that everyone is just going along with what DFO says. It is ridiculous to even imply it.

Fair enough points

Will add tho that if the whole sports fishing was doing as much at the people here making Key strokes that we would be far better off.

How do we ingage the 95% of fishermen that can’t even be bothered to try to look up the issues or take part in discussions

I think you have done a good job creating a Facebook page for your area.

Where do you donate time/money too ? I’ve tried to get into a meeting (in the okanagan) but that was a complete flop due to poor planning and notification. Donated to my group of choice (which will remain unnamed but I will say shows you NO support if your off island. ) three years in a row and nothing! In fact catch limits have been and less less each year. I won’t be throwing awa.... hmm donating anymore money to them.... looking to give my cash to an organization that has some teeth and will have an actual impact. The old “ at least we’re still allowed.... and “could be worse” doesn’t cut it anymore. Suggestions? And I don’t wannna hear “go to a meeting” or “get involved”. I’m looking for a group that will use my cash for some real results.

I think you were told on mainland who the groups were, and honestly not sure how much more we have to repeat. You also were given quite a bit of info I think from Derby on SFAC info. If you donate to a south island groups dealing with putting a net pen together that is great, but how does that help you in mainland with your fsihery right in your area? You also can't blame that group for what is happening right now, and especially that area . It is not there fault at what happened in the JDF. They fought hard to prevent it.

If you don't want to go to an SFAC meeting be my guest. You can stay on our area 17 SFAC e-mail list of you want as we try and send out info as we get it ( you can send it to me).

As far as groups. If you don't like the choices become a leader and create one yourself. It is a simple as that. But I don't want to post up info just to get **** on every time publicly. That wasn't what the thread is about. You all asked for transparency so that is what we posted the info up here.

I support SFI and will in the future. They are the only group equipped for what we are dealing with BC wide.

Last edited:

Patience wearing thin?? Please feel free to do something - try writing your MP and the Minister, attending your local SFAC, contacting your local Chamber to ask what they can do to support the recreational fishery - maybe give them some economic data to demonstrate the value to local economies. Sitting back waiting for "someone" to do something isn't helping...that's just looking to blame someone else for your inaction. True accountability is taking action without looking for someone to blame...looking for how can I help?

If you want to help, come to the SFI Big Splash Dinner this Thursday Nov 22, and even better the Conference that starts at 11 a.m. You can listen to Dr. Andrew Trites, leading UBC Professor/scientist talk about pinnipeds, SKRW and Chinook. Come and learn more, then take educated action!

November 28 in Victoria - we (BC Chamber, Chambers of Sooke, Port Renfrew, Bamfield, Port Alberni, Ucluelet, Tofino, SFI and West Coast Fishing Guides Association) have been working to build a Coalition and will launch via media campaign. I will post details once we have all the media advisory notices ready. We have hired a professional media relations company to manage the campaign. Getting tired of being shot in the back on here tho! I will also post up our "go fund me" campaign if you would like to donate. These media campaigns do cost a lot of money, so the Coalition partners have been quietly raising the capital to make it happen. Please donate once we post up the go fund me site - that is one way you can take action as an individual. Some people on here need to understand that it takes a lot of time, energy, and $$$ to develop a professional campaign.

Guess you should check the email sent by the chair of the South Board today.

Well, if you read the letter to the SFAB it sets out the framework and earlier discussions in writing - so I guess that is fake news.

"The discussion of the daily recreational Prawn limit has been ongoing between DFO and the SFAB starting with a facilitated face to face meeting in February 2017. A subsequent meeting was held in March 2018 where the topic was again discussed, and it was discussed again and the SFAB Groundfish/Shellfish Working Group in April 2018. The subject of considering changing the recreational Prawn limit has also been in the 2017 and 2018 Integrated Fisheries Management Plans (IFMP) for Prawn and Shrimp by Trap."

If you would like to contribute to our campaign, here is the Go Fund Me link:

https://www.gofundme.com/orcaoutreachfund

Please feel free to share the go fund me campaign on your social media - another thing individuals can do to help.

So far we have haven't really officially launched the campaign - timing will be around the media campaign launch on November 28. The interesting thing is we are being contacted by people who would rather donate directly as well, and haven't yet officially launched our campaign. Slowly building momentum.

It all started with a Coalition meeting with the Fisheries Minister Oct 11, and development of a 14 page Advice Paper (reviewed by leading science expert), which was presented to the Minister at his request. You may not appreciate or see this going on, but trust me it takes a tremendous amount of time/effort to do things right.

Lots of work yet to be completed in preparation for the medial event and follow up. Including we are building social media, and also launching community outreach to local Chambers of Commerce to speak with them about the facts around SRKW, the value of recreational fishing to Canada, and the need to slow down and gather thorough science to develop more effective measures that achieve a balance between protecting whales and allowing responsible recreational fishing. We can have both.

Heading off to Port Renfrew today to speak at their Chamber of Commerce meeting tonight - we will visit more Chambers in various communities in the coming months.

Pat-- I hope your comments about " Sitting back waiting for "someone" to do something isn't helping...that's just looking to blame someone else for your inaction. True accountability is taking action without looking for someone to blame...looking for how can I help? " are not directed at me. I have been in the fight to improve our fish stocks and to get recognition for our rights to OUR resource as harvesters for decades. I sit on our local SFAC and on the Tidal Waters committee Region 1 BCWF. My main point was to try ( I guess I wasn't successful ) to make the point that DFO is now playing us ( SFAB/SFAC) as suckers. Notice I also included the BCWF in my comments too. There is nothing approaching consultation when DFO tells us they are GOING to introduce these restrictions. Sure , they call them "proposals" but they are a statement of fact of what they are going to impose April 1st. At one of the past Groundfish/Shellfish meetings Johannsen (DFO) did float the idea that the rec prawn fishery should be reduced. The SFAC Chair asked him where his data was to support that idea. Since there was none-- he got told to forget it ! Its pretty obvious that the DFO Manager didnt care at all what the Chair said as all of a sudden it comes back at us again. That is NOT consultation.

I agree that ALL of us have to get damn mad and get involved . But to keep letting DFO lead the SFAB around by the nose is not acceptable.
I like your idea to build a coalition and address the money people in our areas. I am more than willing to address our Council if I have up to date economic data . Can you have the SFI provide that please? And this is the first I have heard of a "Go Fund Me " campaign.. details please when the idea is more developed..

Back