Proposal By DFO - Changes to Prawn Daily Rec. Limit Being Considered

No, just adding the facts to the discussion.
Full frontal attack, pretty much says it all.

oh your so smart and a cheeky fellow aren't you ....:rolleyes:

Donated get er done boys. Maybe start a separate thread with info on here for the gofundme link and it would get more traffic and donations as lots of peeps don’t bother looking at these threads anymore ????

Last edited:
Patience wearing thin?? Please feel free to do something - try writing your MP and the Minister, attending your local SFAC, contacting your local Chamber to ask what they can do to support the recreational fishery - maybe give them some economic data to demonstrate the value to local economies. Sitting back waiting for "someone" to do something isn't helping...that's just looking to blame someone else for your inaction. True accountability is taking action without looking for someone to blame...looking for how can I help?

Turns out I written sheaves of letters and sent them to national, provincial and local representatives, so you can't accuse me of siting on my hands, or sitting back and waiting for "someone" to do something, nor am I looking for someone to blame. I fully believe that individuals running around and starting new groups to duplicate the work already being done by existing groups serves no purpose and will do more harm than good. Other than being asked to write letters the existing groups are not doing a good job of communicating what they are up to. Thus my repeated calls for action. We need to work together in a coordinated fashion, or else the NGO's will tear us apart.

Coalition partners have been quietly raising the capital to make it happen

As I have mentioned many times the quietly behind the scenes stuff is causing the general public to become fractious. I am glad to hear that something has been going on.

November 28 in Victoria - we (BC Chamber, Chambers of Sooke, Port Renfrew, Bamfield, Port Alberni, Ucluelet, Tofino, SFI and West Coast Fishing Guides Association) have been working to build a Coalition and will launch via media campaign. I will post details once we have all the media advisory notices ready. We have hired a professional media relations company to manage the campaign. Getting tired of being shot in the back on here tho! I will also post up our "go fund me" campaign if you would like to donate. These media campaigns do cost a lot of money, so the Coalition partners have been quietly raising the capital to make it happen. Please donate once we post up the go fund me site - that is one way you can take action as an individual. Some people on here need to understand that it takes a lot of time, energy, and $$$ to develop a professional campaign.

This is a good start, and I will try to attend if possible. I am glad something like this is starting to happen publicly. Once again, I will reiterate as several others have done, letter writing has not done us any good this time, we are up against people who specialize in tugging on the public heart strings. A letter writing campaign will never be able to match this in the media .
I am sorry you are feeling like you are being shot in the back. I think most of us are asking for clear and open communication about what all of our groups are up to. I am of the opinion that the days of filling meeting halls are in the past. Am I happy about it? No, but I think it's the new reality. I encourage you to use social media to get your message out in addition to all the traditional methods. Once again, I am not mad at you directly, I don't even know you. But you and others always seem to be "on the inside" saying just wait, or come to the meeting. That doesn't always work for a lot of people who would also like to somehow become involved, but have limited time. I only want to be involved to the extent of my ability, as I am sure are others. Again I am sorry if my ability doesn't meet you expectations, but I can assure you we are on the same side. I do appreciate the the work you and others are doing and hope that you can keep it up. I only ask that you guys share it better, so others like me who want to help can do our parts to support you as best we can

Turns out I written sheaves of letters and sent them to national, provincial and local representatives, so you can't accuse me of siting on my hands, or sitting back and waiting for "someone" to do something, nor am I looking for someone to blame. I fully believe that individuals running around and starting new groups to duplicate the work already being done by existing groups serves no purpose and will do more harm than good. Other than being asked to write letters the existing groups are not doing a good job of communicating what they are up to. Thus my repeated calls for action. We need to work together in a coordinated fashion, or else the NGO's will tear us apart.

As I have mentioned many times the quietly behind the scenes stuff is causing the general public to become fractious. I am glad to hear that something has been going on.

This is a good start, and I will try to attend if possible. I am glad something like this is starting to happen publicly. Once again, I will reiterate as several others have done, letter writing has not done us any good this time, we are up against people who specialize in tugging on the public heart strings. A letter writing campaign will never be able to match this in the media .
I am sorry you are feeling like you are being shot in the back. I think most of us are asking for clear and open communication about what all of our groups are up to. I am of the opinion that the days of filling meeting halls are in the past. Am I happy about it? No, but I think it's the new reality. I encourage you to use social media to get your message out in addition to all the traditional methods. Once again, I am not mad at you directly, I don't even know you. But you and others always seem to be "on the inside" saying just wait, or come to the meeting. That doesn't always work for a lot of people who would also like to somehow become involved, but have limited time. I only want to be involved to the extent of my ability, as I am sure are others. Again I am sorry if my ability doesn't meet you expectations, but I can assure you we are on the same side. I do appreciate the the work you and others are doing and hope that you can keep it up. I only ask that you guys share it better, so others like me who want to help can do our parts to support you as best we can

Thanks, and please keep coming to your local SFAC meetings and voicing your concerns! That is an excellent way to be involved and informed. But, the SFAB process is an advisory process to the Minister of Fisheries. We can advance strong advice, but its not a body that can or will lobby.

Lobby efforts are best launched by organizations outside the SFAB. Some of the work necessary to address issues such as the expanded Critical Habitat and the existing draconian management measures in the existing CH (Area Closures) is really best handled within political circles - possibly legal options as was discussed on another thread.
I also very much appreciate the folks who are getting behind the go fund me campaign. The Coalition that is advancing this will need to find funding sources to help advance a strong business plan. The immediate need being to get out into the media and public with some facts and alternative approaches to what Canada has done on this file thus far.

There are other similarly difficult issues coming like Prawn reductions, Chinook Management - particularly Fraser stocks, and future proposals to expand Critical Habitat into other areas.

Or DFO can get out there and start enforcing the possession limit.
Way too many people with their prawn traps out for weeks on end, filling their freezers and all of their friends.
The info is right on the bouy. Start noting what traps never leave the water, track the phone number and visit their freezer. They will be way over their possession limit.
These fishers **** me off. And as a result I am going to get cut back to 100 prawns.

Or DFO can get out there and start enforcing the possession limit.
Way too many people with their prawn traps out for weeks on end, filling their freezers and all of their friends.
The info is right on the bouy. Start noting what traps never leave the water, track the phone number and visit their freezer. They will be way over their possession limit.
These fishers **** me off. And as a result I am going to get cut back to 100 prawns.

No annual limit....Freezers can have as much as they want in them.

Maybe an annual limit isn't a bad thing?

If It will stop the bleeding then sure, If it helps with DFO compute models then sure makes sense. That's of course assuming they have any sort of catch monitoring data on recreational shellfish.

You want to start to into it with them, Then maybe Sport pawns and side Stripped shrimp should have different daily limits. (a bit toung and cheek but OMG like seriously)

Hell ask them to produce the abundance of each for all the different areas.

Why not were getting bent over on all this stuff

IMO the person that gets hurt the most in all this is the person that does not own a boat a books with a guide. Their take home is cut in half.

Some of us that are lucky enough to own boats can set traps on multiple occasions if we want more.

Last edited:
I guess releasing berried prawns isn't enough.

Category(s):
RECREATIONAL - Shellfish
Fishery Notice - Fisheries and Oceans Canada
Subject: FN1310-RECREATIONAL - Shellfish - Prawn and Shrimp - Areas 13, 15, 16, 17, 19, 23, 25 and 28 Closures
Recreational prawn and shrimp by trap harvesters are advised that the harvest
of prawns and shrimp by trap, ring net, or spear while diving, will close from
00:01 hours January 1, to 23:59 hours March 31, 2019, in the following Subareas
as described in the Pacific Fishery Management Area
Regulations:
Subareas 13-12, 13-16 (Quadra Island);
Subarea 15-1 (Powell River);
Subareas 16-5 to 16-8 (Sechelt / Narrow Inlets);
Subareas 16-16, 16-17 (Malaspina Strait / lower Jervis Inlet);
Subareas 17-5, 17-6, 17-9 (Stuart Channel);
Subareas 17-13, 17-16 (Nanaimo);
Subareas 23-1 to 23-4 (Alberni Inlet and Barkley Sound);
Subareas 25-1 to 25-5, 25-8, 25-16 (Tahsis-Gold River); and
Subareas 28-1, 28-5 (portion Howe Sound).
These 3-month winter closures are in place to allow the prawn spawning period
to complete. These areas re-open 00:01 hours April 1, 2019.
Subareas 19-7 to 19-12 (Saanich Inlet) will continue “pulse fishing” (closed in
the first half of the month and open in the second half of the month) through
to March 31, 2019. This means that Subareas 19-7 to 19-12 are closed from:
00:01 hours December 1 to 23:59 hours December 15, 2018;
00:01 hours January 1 to 23:59 hours January 15, 2019;
00:01 hours February 1 to 23:59 hours February 15, 2019; and
00:01 hours March 1 to 23:59 hours March 15, 2019.
All prawns carrying eggs externally on the underside of the tail must be
returned to the water immediately and in the manner that causes the least harm.
All other coastal areas remain open to the harvest of prawns and shrimp by
trap, ring net, or spear while diving until further notice, except the
following protected areas which are closed year round:
Strait of Georgia and Howe Sound glass sponge reef areas;
Gwaii Haanas National Marine Conservation Area;
Hecate Strait and Queen Charlotte Sound Glass Sponge Reefs Marine Protected
Area;
Race Rocks Ecological Reserve and Area of Interest (AOI);
Whytecliffe Park;
Porteau Cove;
Point Atkinson; and
Vancouver Harbour between Lions Gate Bridge and Ironworkers Memorial Bridge
(also known as Second Narrows Bridge).

Variation Order No. 2018-625. Variation Order No. 2018–480 is revoked.

Nothing about reduced limits? That's a good thing.

I believe (if not mistaken) that will come with the completion of the 2019 IFMP and
Will be effective with April 1 new license.

The winter closures are one thing, the 50% reduction in limit is another. Or are they ????Make
No mistake these things are the result of lobby and effort, not science and conservation motivated.

Last edited:
The only effect the proposed new regs will have as I see it are eliminating weekend trips with multiple days. Not worth the fuel to make one pull a day and have your limit. Most of my prawning will be closer to home. But with 15-1 being closed on January 1st it will eliminate a lot of area close by.

Back