Project 'Bad Habits' Build

Holy ****!

That water bead technology is something else-first time I ever saw it used-Thanks for posting this!

No problem Carl, thanks for following along!

Continueing...I just talked to my glass shop (something I should have done sooner) to confirm the depth the flange needs to be to seat the safety windows into the sheeting...luckily it is a maximum of 5/16" of an inch that is needed to mount the rubber gasketing. I had left a 3/4" flange for the windshield (these windows are going to be huge!) but after seeing it, I was not sure if I left the flange deep enough. Luckily it is.

Now if I can figure out how to bump out the sides to match the taper of the cabin things will be all good. Until then, stressing me the hell out!

Its progress, and Rome wasn't built in a day so I'm still pleased with how its coming together.

Hey Nick,

Thanks for the kind words... Glad we could help you out with the build, even in a small way by cutting out the windows.... Gimme a shout when you get closer to finishing I have some ideas for an "EAGLE" logo on each side of the Cabin that would look f'in sweet... Trade ya for a tuna trip!!! :)

Let us know if you need any other help.....

Cheers

Big day big day! My windows have been cut out of the sides of my cabin...a big step in the project to get things moving forward in a BIG way!

So the guys at NU Dimensions in Delta went above and beyond in squeezing this rather meager job onto the table of their high end water cutting machine. I can't say enough about this shop. Great guys, professional, and top notch work.

Here are a couple of videos of the work that was done. On top of the windows, they went the extra mile and made something a little special for me...a cut-out of my boats name, "Bad Habits"...I am still talking about how cool this thing is!! Sean, you the man!!

Thanks very much for the great work guys!

Name Plate:

[dJZ9A3SFf38] http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dJZ9A3SFf38

Windows being cut out:

[ijBShE8KzHA] http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ijBShE8KzHA
Cheers!

FB

To follow:

Kanuckle Head will be helping me with welding tonight!!!

Big Thanks to Sean and the rest of the staff @

Nu Dimensions - http://www.nudimensions.ca
Email: info@nudimensions.ca
Phone: (604) 940-3984
Fax: (604) 940-3981
Toll Free: 1-877-940-3984
Address: 7481 Vantage Way Delta, B.C. V4G 1C9

Hey Sean, the Eagle logo sounds like a definite plan!!

I have one more project more than likely..would like to build a custom dash for all my new gauges and what-not, and due to my 6'4' frame I need to raise the position of the steering column...

I wasn't even thinking...I should have brought a nice slab O' Tuna to entice you further for next year. Aside from the adventure of Tunar Fishing, the catch is something else!

modified the new cabin to fit the taper of the current cabin today...had to use the rubber mallet to massage a few sides into position, but its all welded back up and looking great! After rectifying that little mistake, I continued on, welding together the swim grid, and a step that I made that will make it easier to step up onto the transom from the swim grid. My first welds were not pretty, but penetration was good and things were holding strong. By days end beads were starting to look more uniform...

Tommorrow the plan is to start installing the roof supports to the sides, finish the extension towards the stern that the new cabin will add. That should eat up some time but hopefully I move quick and I get to sizing and cutting the roof.

Cheers,

FB

Sounds like your flying at her FB. Awesome stuff keep up the good work buddy!!!

Aluminum welding is a bit different from welding mild steel or stainless for sure. Sounds like your enjoying it and it's cool that your taking it on with the help of Len. Nothing like being able to weld on your own aluminum boat:cool:. That is one of the beauties of alloy boats for sure.

Now let's see some pic's................

Here's a taste of the GOOD STUFF!!

transom step:

TransomStep.jpg

Cabin pic 1

cabinstructure.jpg

Cabin pic 2

CabinFrame.jpg

Cool step. The cabin looks good too. Cant wait to see it on the boat. Are you going to have any overhang at the edges? Paint?

to answer your questions with pictures John (check out the over hang!! haha)

Today I welded up the roof supports (previously posted) and didn't give the welder, or myself a chance to cool off and kept hammering away...here is the result.

Roofwithrocketlaunchers.jpg

Roofinstalled.jpg

As you can see, I wrapped the perimeter of the roof in 1" tubing so when I crank my head on it, it will only dent my dome, not slice it open. I also added to bars running bow to stern ontop with 1/2" holes drilled every 10". They are set apart 32" between the bars, which happens to be the exact measurement of my ladner crab and prawn traps (as I had always planned for roof storage for my traps...pretty sweet!)...The roof is strong enough with its design to EASILY support my weight of 200 LBS. It could likely hold 400 lbs I'm guessing but I would never run that top heavy.

I also knocked out the rocket launchers. I bent one end of the tube, drilled 1" holes through the rocket launchers, slipped them onto the 1" tube, bent the other end, and fixed things into place. I have to drill a couple of drain holes into the roof, and I plan on running 3M 5200 down the interior seems to make it fully waterproof inside...

....done at the shop for today. Back at er in the morrow.

As you can see, I wrapped the perimeter of the roof in 1" tubing so when I crank my head on it, it will only dent my dome, not slice it open.

Nice! The tall people that hope to fish off that boat thank you.

Moving along nicely I see. Can't wait to see the progress in real life.

Cheers

Hmm, maybe the day ran a little long, just got back to the project and it looks like I spaced the longer rocket launchers (for my Hali Rods) a little to close together...not a huge deal as its only a problem for my honkin' Tyranos30 reels, so long as I stack them beside my smaller hali reels there should be no concern of things banging together.

....it continues

as the beads roll on....

1109121256a.jpg

1109121255a.jpg

1109121254a.jpg

Bad Habits looking Bad butt!!

Currently welding up the lower sides that come off the back lower half of the cabin....damn thing is starting to look like a boat again!

That a boy Nick!!!! There she is. Looks good man. I'm warming up to the cyclops front window. I think it looks great actually. Are you welding it down solid to the existing lower cabin?

ha HA!! When I mounted the new cabin on top for the first time, I damn near shed a tear for how cool it looked! Forward facing would have been shweet, but I think this design is pretty awesome. I think it compliments the lines much better. The visibility in this boat is going to be ridiculous...

I still haven't decided the best approach to securing the cabin to the boat. Part of me wants to weld the cabin to some angle iron, and once that is done screw the angle iron down to the boat. That way I can always remove the cabin if I had to. Not that I see a reason to do so, but maybe if I sold the boat and wanted to put the original windshield back in...who knows but it leaves the option open if I screw it down.

Heres some pics of the lower sides...

1109121545b.jpg

1109121545a.jpg

I just meant instead of splitting the front window into two smaller ones. The single looks good. I still voted and stand behind the forward sloping style :p.

Those sides look really good too. Could you through bolt it from the bottom framework (right through the hss) into the existing? That's not a bad idea and you could always just put some sealant between the two to make it water tight.

She really looks good. I can't wait to see her with the seats in etc.

Wow Nick shez progressing quite fast, hella-of-ola faster than my boat !!
Surprisingly leaps & bounds since I saw her this afternoon..............looking great Brah

Kh

Len,
Good on ya for helping Nick out bra.

Has been a long time laying non ferrous breeds but is quite satisfying helping a fellow member that has progress so well with little assistance, kinda lites the candle on under my butt for my boat retrofit

In the beginning the night the welds looked wobblie, but after a few Budz they seemed to flow better......go figure

Back