Project 'Bad Habits' Build

Dude..a 300ETEC would look sweet on the back of that boat! 107 hours is nothing. I put that many hours on my outboards in a month!

That price is incredible though so I would have some reservations as to why they are selling it so cheap. A new 300hp ETEC is 30k.

I knew you would be on that motor in no time haha...it would look pretty sweet! Check out that website and view a few of the other used outboards they have. A couple of nice twin 150 packages, all priced pretty fairly. Here are the craigslist adds of a few of their motors and how I came across the site. I know I would have you as a mechanic anytime I needed right TS??? Barter mechanic time for something...i dunno, do you like to fish?? haha

http://miami.craigslist.org/pbc/bod/3473427441.html (Twin 150s)

http://miami.craigslist.org/pbc/bod/3462379860.html (2012 300hp w/ 80hrs)

You should tell me more about them over a overdue frosty pint ;)

For sure, I'd help out mechanically where I can. Another thing to consider is you may not need 300HP with an outboard, especially if you go with a Direct Injected 2-stroke like the E-TEC.

The 300hp etec weighs 528lbs for everything. The 350mpi with outdrive weighs just over 1000lbs. So 500lbs lighter with an outboard.

Damn that is a light package for 300HP Outboard....

Im always on the side of go bigger as you may not need that extra 50hp....but when you do...it sure is nice!! But a 250 would make it move. Theres a 250hp on the back of the 22' aluminum I normally fish off and it does 58MPH with a full load of Tuna and gear....I'd like to be a little faster haha

faster is not always better . it is fun but !!!!! just usually burns more fuel . what is that boats sweets spot, what is the designs speed

The extra power is not all about speed and as FB pointed out, it also has to with being able to stay on plane in a big swell with a full load of gear and crew. Having that extra power sure is nice for getting out of the trough or powering up the backside of swell.

.....things could be making a turn here... lol

It is nice to only use a 1/3 or half throttle max as we do on the overpowered 22'. Rarely do we WOT, when we do its a lot of fun but as FD mention few and far between chances on the WC. We had the water for Tuna fishing though :)

twin outboards are nice for inshore close quarters manoeuvres and even if it won't plane the vessel on one outboard it's better than the kicker would do if you're a long ways out in the rollers bucking a tide.. Great looking project!!

Last edited by a moderator:
I think your on to something here!!...haha

the more I think about it the more I think a pod will work for you, not only for weight and economy, but it will definitly simplify the project, not only that but future maintanance by the sounds of it... and for how you plan to use the boat (keeping the boat across the pond) your access and time will be minimal for maint./repair, so why not build it to be suite those needs, especially now the initial cost won't be much different...not to mention it will be just plain cool!!

don't worry buddy im thinking long and hard on how to spend your money for you !!!haha

So I've started to get deeper into the direction I didn't think I would be going with this boat. I've got a great quote to build a pod from Pawel @ Streamline Boats in Maple Ridge. After speaking with him I could tell he had a lot of experience and could engineer me a pod to safely support a 225+ HP engine.

This all came about after doing the math and being realistic with my intentions for this project. To buy a new inboard and run a used/rebuilt leg or assembly would be asking for trouble from an obvious week link. It would only make sense to go new with those parts as well. Even at good pricing, I was still looking @ 15K. Or...outboard territory. I was pretty supportive of the inboard option, as I thought the cost of an outboard would be, honestly, out of my price range by 10k. But with some researching I have found a few great motors on the net quite quickly and I think an outboard is now a real possibly for this boat.

I plan to bring Pawel out to the shop in the new year to discuss the pod further. We've already discussed a few options, but we will likely settle on a bracket and swim grid (non-floatation) option. Since the boat is 25' long, he assures me that a float pod will not be necessary for the single outboard.

Other costs I may have to consider will be controls prop and steering, if the motor I find doesn't include them. Nothing is set in stone and no power has been purchased but this is the direction the project is going now, for those who might be interested.

Since we have not finalized a design I can't say exactly how much the quote will be, but a preliminary estimate leaves it less than 2K.

Thanks for reading, Happy Holidays!

-FB-

What is your criteria for an outboard? Does it have to be new or near new? minimum HP? Budget for everything including prop, controls, gauges etc?

If you are talking 15k then you are on the borderline of a brand new etc 175. Evinrude has a boat show special going until March on new outboards. Includes 5-6 year warranty and rebates or completely free rigging (a 5,000 value)

http://www.evinrude.com/Content/Pdf/en-CA/promotions/boat-show-sales-event-2012.pdf#zoom=100

After the holidays I will know the harder financial facts of it all....

But 225hp+ and near new is a starting point.

I tried to buy a striper From a dealer here 23 hardtop with twin 150s was 90 here out the door. In the US 58 with all rebates and what not. They would not match the price or even go an get this one for me. I ended up not buying it. This was 5 years ago. I don't know if it has gotten better.

I tried to buy a striper From a dealer here 23 hardtop with twin 150s was 90 here out the door. In the US 58 with all rebates and what not. They would not match the price or even go an get this one for me. I ended up not buying it. This was 5 years ago. I don't know if it has gotten better.

I think you might have posted in the wrong thread :eek:.

A couple of pics for your consideration about OB brackets or pods if you decide to go that route

The one on the tin boat is hard to see ( only pic handy just now ) but it is a parallel-a-gram design w hyd ram that makes 13" of vertical travel. It is the third one I have made and while it takes time, it can be done at home if you have decent tools and the patience.
The one one the glass hull was made by R Y M Propellor in Richmond ( they have a standard general design that gets tweaked for each application )

Attachments

• DSCN4164.jpg
    DSCN4164.jpg
    91.1 KB · Views: 148
  • DSCN4086.jpg
    DSCN4086.jpg
    90.3 KB · Views: 146
...some holiday updates worth mention.

The boat has passed the point of no (easy) return. I've committed to podding the boat and adding outboard power. The pod is well under construction by Streamline Boats. I decided to not have them add a swim deck as I can do that myself should I decide to add one. But I could not build the pod, as the engineering and design is well beyond my lowly fabrication skills.

I have been looking hard for a good deal on power....one may have come up but I wont let that cat out of the bag until I'm on the dotted line....

I can't let power distract me to much from the project as a whole as there are still a lot of little odds and ends that need to come together before I would call it sea-worthy.

Thanks for reading...

-FB-

Back